BC95XLT programming cable connection???

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldrussi

Is the BC95XLT programming cable connection a 1394 with a piece of plastic to block the regular 1394 connector from being connected??? AND If that is the only difference and a USB to 1394 cable would work after the tit is removed why would they charge so much for the cable??? Has anyone tried this???

haroldrussi

Has anyone obtained the wiring diagrams to make a cable for less than the $40 ($29.99 + $10shipping). I don't think it could be all that hard to build once the wiring diagrams have been drawn up. USB and 1394 connectors are not that hard to wire up.

n2mdk

The USB-1 cable is a USB to serial adapter. The connection to the radio is serial.

haroldrussi

Universial Serial Bus (USB) ---- What is there to adapt it is already serial. OH well I guess that is how it goes.....

n2mdk

The USB protocol and the RS232 one are entirely different. The scanner uses RS232.

haroldrussi

OK now we are getting somewhere, so it is a RS232 protocol at the scanner end but that still is not hard to build a converter for if anyone has the wiring diagrams or pin-outs for it. I understand proprietary but the price is just too high, 1/3 the cost of the scanner for just a cable to connect between the scanner and a computer. I can see the cost of the software being $15-20 and I can see if the cable came with the software for the $40. I guess the technical exchange level of this site does not get into building or modification of the scanners that I have become used to on other forums. I like being able to build and modify things to better the equipment.

Last edited:

N8IAA

The USB protocol and the RS232 one are entirely different. The scanner uses RS232.

Scanner end is USB. PC end is RS232. Looked at the Uniden website. Look on E-Bay or try here on the For Sale forum. I am sure that you can find one cheaper.
Larry

haroldrussi

Well I have built a cable and ops checked it. Works great. Depending how you look at the pinout I wired the DB9 connector pins 2,3,5 to the gameboy connector pins 1,3,4 in that order and it works and I used scraps laying around here at home so it was free.

Last edited:

n2mdk

Love to see a picture of a 1394/firewire 4 pin actually connected into the scanner, without breaking the port that is.

haroldrussi

Correction it is a game boy connector not a 1394, sorry for misleading anyone. I just looks closer at a 1394 connector and the connector I had laying around which I thought was a 1394 but was from a gameboy cable laying around the house... I guess that is what happens when you don't look close enough or without your glasses....

haroldrussi

I am researching the correct name for the connector used on the scanner end, I will be back with it...

Zenotron

I have finally built a cable for the BC95XLT and it cost 2$. Also I have wrote a software to edit the memory. I will probably make a website to publish the pinout diagram and to give the software for free. If anyone is interrested for have the informations right now you can contact me at zenotron@gmail.com for now. I'm sorry for my english, i'm a French Quebec person.

Zenotron

I have made a wiring diagram to help you understand the connection between the Serial Port on a motherboard and the strange connector on the scanner. To get this kind of connector you have to search for "4 pin mini USB cable" on ebay and you can get it for about 2$. After that you have to solder this cable to any serial cable with female end connector and protect it with heat shrink !

Attachments

• BC95XLT Serial Port Pinout.jpg
    BC95XLT Serial Port Pinout.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 31,632

country2

Are you using the standard pin out? So the white wire isn't use?ooops ok I see the small extrusion on the scanner port now to the right of pin 1

1 VCC Red +5 VDC
2 D- White Data -
3 D+ Green Data +
4 GND Black Ground

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.