Bcd 396t

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Greetings all,

A member of this site graciously donated me an BCD 396T digital scanner. Unfortunately the internal speaker does not work. Apparently this seems to be a common issue with this particular unit. I know Uniden can repair the unit for a $49.95 + $10.00 flat rate service fee. However living on Social Security Disability Income, or SSI for short, I cannot afford to pay for the service.

Is there an alternate way to have this issue fixed? I'm trying to save what I can do buy a multi-band rubber ducky antenna for it, as one was not included with it. If not, then I guess I'm going to have to save up even more to buy a lapel external speaker for it as well.

I'm very thankful and appreciative for being given such a nice unit, and would like to enjoy using it. But until I can either get this radio repaired or find an external lapel speaker and antenna, it just sits on my desk.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and or help given.

-Rylak

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Yea, ear buds would also work I guess. So just need to save for an antenna.

But is there an alternative to Uniden's service fee? Would like to try and restore the radio. I'll never be given, nor ever afford a radio of this quality and caliber, and want to get as many more years out of it as humanly possible.

-Rylak

W2PMX

That depends on your ability. Replacing the speaker isn't particularly difficult and, IIRC, it's less than $10 from Uniden. (Or you can use any small speaker that fits in the space. Hot melt glue works wonders if the speaker is a bit too small.)

As far as an antenna, I've been using 800MHz Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com for years on my 396. It's pretty bad for CB (yes, I use the 396 on CB when I'm on the interstates) or VHF-lo (30-50MHz), but for VHF-hi, UHF and 800 it's pretty good.

Clark

Are you sure it's the speaker and not some component. Did the person that donated the BCDT know or advise you the speaker was bad. It would be a shame to find and replace the speaker and then discover it was something else, like the jack.
Uniden would repair the unit, whatever it is.
Clark

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Clark,

Yes, the person who gave me the unit advised of the internal speaker not working. He said plugging in an external speaker via the jack will work fine.

W2PMX,

I'm not personally likely to be able to do the job myself, due to my disability. This is why I was hoping for an alternative to Uniden's service plan. With some luck, I might be able to find help locally, if I can find the needed part(s).

Regarding the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna, I was considering that an option, but wasn't sure if that would be a practical purchase as funds are virtually non existent and wanted the absolute best option realistically possible.

-Rylak

SCPD

QRT
Rylak Pm me your address i have a spare rs800mhz antenna. I will send you the one i have. I don't have a sma to bnc adapter. Do you have one?

W2PMX

I'm not personally likely to be able to do the job myself, due to my disability. This is why I was hoping for an alternative to Uniden's service plan. With some luck, I might be able to find help locally, if I can find the needed part(s).
Find a local ham club. At least one member of any ham club should be able to replace the speaker (it's really simple - I've done it), and many will have a speaker in the junk box that they can put in for you and not charge you anything.

Regarding the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna, I was considering that an option, but wasn't sure if that would be a practical purchase as funds are virtually non existent and wanted the absolute best option realistically possible.
I don't think I've used anything else since I got the antenna. If I can't hear it with that one, I probably can't hear it with any rubber duck shorter than my elbow to my fingertips.

As Xeno said, you'll need an SMA to BNC adapter (one comes with the scanner), but they're pretty cheap. SMA male to BNC female Coax Straight Connector Adapter | eBay is one of the first ones I found by searching, and it's about the same one I've been using - a wide collar to increase stability. And it's only 2 bucks including shipping, if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks for airmail.

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Rylak Pm me your address i have a spare rs800mhz antenna. I will send you the one i have. I don't have a sma to bnc adapter. Do you have one?

xeno194,

Yes, it came with the adapter. I have sent you a PM already about 2-3 weeks ago regarding something else, not sure how often you log-in. Anyways, I'll PM you again here.

-Rylak

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Find a local ham club. At least one member of any ham club should be able to replace the speaker (it's really simple - I've done it), and many will have a speaker in the junk box that they can put in for you and not charge you anything.

I don't think I've used anything else since I got the antenna. If I can't hear it with that one, I probably can't hear it with any rubber duck shorter than my elbow to my fingertips.

As Xeno said, you'll need an SMA to BNC adapter (one comes with the scanner), but they're pretty cheap. SMA male to BNC female Coax Straight Connector Adapter | eBay is one of the first ones I found by searching, and it's about the same one I've been using - a wide collar to increase stability. And it's only 2 bucks including shipping, if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks for airmail.

W2PMX,

Hahaha, no I'm not laughing at you, but you have no idea how frustrated I am regarding getting licensed. This has been an ongoing project for me. Trying to find a local ham willing to transport me to a VE test session. But anyways, that's another topic.

Yep, I have the SMA/BNC adapter thing. It was included with the radio. I didn't know the 800Mhz antenna was so good for VHF/UHF receive. I figured it was more or less designed for what it's specifically marked for. Good stuff!

-Rylak

rwier

Greetings all,
..................................................................................... I'm trying to save what I can do buy a multi-band rubber ducky antenna for it, as one was not included with it. ...................................................................................
-Rylak

Hi Rylak,

I know you mentioned early on the absence of an included antenna. That was an oversight on my part. However, after further contemplation, I realized that, in my opinion, the inclusion of a "rubber duck" antenna would have been doing you a substantial disservice.

I listen to my scanners indoors at home (workshop, computer desk, and bedside), and in my vehicle (parked, or moving). I do keep a "rubber duck" antenna on my vehicles dash. This allows me the option to pull my HP-1, or my GRE-800, from their "mounts", and step outside my truck. This actually only occurs about twice a year, near home, when I want to walk over to a neighbors, while the PD Chopper is whoop-whooping overhead, lol.

The use of this same "rubber duck" antenna, inside my vehicle, or inside my residence, would degrade my reception so severally that the result would not be in any way acceptable.

I believe that I noticed that someone has offered to send you a particular "rubber duck" antenna. I believe that this is the same antenna I keep on my dash. I think it is probably the best for my occasional "handheld" needs.

All that being said, AT YOUR REQUEST, I will find, or obtain, the "rubber duck" antenna OF YOUR CHOICE, and send it your way. My opinion is that this would only have a positive use outdoors, out of vehicle, on flat terrain (or high ground), not near high buildings, etc. If I knew you were planning to use said antenna indoors, I would have the same psychological response as if you sent the radio itself back to me as unwanted.

R

Last edited:

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Hi Rylak,

I know you mentioned early on the absence of an included antenna. That was an oversight on my part. However, after further contemplation, I realized that, in my opinion, the inclusion of a "rubber duck" antenna would have been doing you a substantial disservice.

I listen to my scanners indoors at home (workshop, computer desk, and bedside), and in my vehicle (parked, or moving). I do keep a "rubber duck" antenna on my vehicles dash. This allows me the option to pull my HP-1, or my GRE-800, from their "mounts", and step outside my truck. This actually only occurs about twice a year, near home, when I want to walk over to a neighbors, while the PD Chopper is whoop-whooping overhead, lol.

The use of this same "rubber duck" antenna, inside my vehicle, or inside my residence, would degrade my reception so severally that the result would not be in any way acceptable.

I believe that I noticed that someone has offered to send you a particular "rubber duck" antenna. I believe that this is the same antenna I keep on my dash. I think it is probably the best for my occasional "handheld" needs.

All that being said, AT YOUR REQUEST, I will find, or obtain, the "rubber duck" antenna OF YOUR CHOICE, and send it your way. My opinion is that this would only have a positive use outdoors, out of vehicle, on flat terrain (or high ground), not near high buildings, etc. If I knew you were planning to use said antenna indoors, I would have the same psychological response as if you sent the radio itself back to me as unwanted.

R

Hey rwier,

No complaints here my good friend. I'm very appreciative and thankful for the unit. There are times when I do sit at the park literally next door, and the need for a duck/telescoping antenna are needed. But I do agree the duck plainly sucks for indoor use. Besides the obvious financial issue, I live in an apartment, and ultimately need a good quality dipole or something that I can have mounted somewhere as an end game solution. But until that time comes around, having anything is better than not having one to begin with.

You gave me an expensive radio. Will be fun to use at malls and such with it's close call features. I wonder what frequencies our KFC, and Carl's Jr. uses heh! Be interesting to know how many Double Westerns are being sold each day. Oversights happen, I'm just eager to use this masterpiece radio you so graciously sent me. The 2050 from xeno194 and the 396T you gave me have sedimental value. But I'm not going to get into the mushy mushy here.

-Rylak

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the midst of this repair on my bosses scanner, just got the speaker out. If I can find one locally, I won't order from Uniden.

It's a simple fix for someone experienced in this type work. If you really want it fixed, and want to order the speaker, I'd be glad to do the work for you. It would only cost postage to/from me.

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the midst of this repair on my bosses scanner, just got the speaker out. If I can find one locally, I won't order from Uniden.

It's a simple fix for someone experienced in this type work. If you really want it fixed, and want to order the speaker, I'd be glad to do the work for you. It would only cost postage to/from me.

Hi n9mxq,

May take you up on the offer. I really do want to get this fixed and although the Uniden service fee is reasonable by normal means, it's not when your on federal income severely below poverty level, heh. Let me secure funds, and if I don't get help or have a resolution by the end of November, I will consider your offer, and make necessary arrangements. Thank you very much for the offer, it's very much appreciated.

-Rylak

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Hi n9mxq,

May take you up on the offer. I really do want to get this fixed and although the Uniden service fee is reasonable by normal means, it's not when your on federal income severely below poverty level, heh. Let me secure funds, and if I don't get help or have a resolution by the end of November, I will consider your offer, and make necessary arrangements. Thank you very much for the offer, it's very much appreciated.

-Rylak

Keep me posted, I'm good in the callbook..

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
That depends on your ability. Replacing the speaker isn't particularly difficult and, IIRC, it's less than $10 from Uniden. (Or you can use any small speaker that fits in the space. Hot melt glue works wonders if the speaker is a bit too small.)

As far as an antenna, I've been using 800MHz Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com for years on my 396. It's pretty bad for CB (yes, I use the 396 on CB when I'm on the interstates) or VHF-lo (30-50MHz), but for VHF-hi, UHF and 800 it's pretty good.

Do you have a link to the page with the speaker from Uniden? Or is it a phone order only item? My fav electronic store is a no go, and the only place I've found online for the speaker charges as much in shipping as the speaker costs.

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a link to the page with the speaker from Uniden? Or is it a phone order only item? My fav electronic store is a no go, and the only place I've found online for the speaker charges as much in shipping as the speaker costs.

I went to the site and found nothing on it myself. So my guess is likely to call them and get the part number. But in all honesty, you're likely going to pay roughly the same if not more thru Uniden for the same part. I read a post on here last week that listed part numbers that someone submitted and cannot for the life of me find it, as it may help. Think Upman made it, but cannot remember.

-Rylak

Status
Not open for further replies.