BCD325P2 Menu screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayleesdad

today the menu screen on my bcd325p2 began to vanish and reappear intermittently. The screen seems to work fine in all other instances. Just when I hit the menu button, the menu screens disappear.

sounds like a trip to Uniden repair, anyone else have this issue? Any fix to it?

thanks,

kayleesdad

Did a hard reset and reloaded the programming, now the menu screen flickers less, more on the sub menus. What a headache that flickering menu gives me!

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber

kayleesdad

And after a rest with the batteries out it seems to be back to normal, just as I was filling out the warranty repair form. We'll see if it holds up in a little heat and humidity, if that was the issue...

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I have not opened my 325 and don’t know if this may be considered-but thought it should be mentioned as a possible cause, if only to eliminate it;

Is there a push-on connecting ribbon from the display to the circuit board? If so I suggest it be reseated. Pulling it off and pushing it back on a couple of times cleans the contacts. If the connector ribbon has a push-on connector on both ends, do it on both ends.

Chris0516

today the menu screen on my bcd325p2 began to vanish and reappear intermittently. The screen seems to work fine in all other instances. Just when I hit the menu button, the menu screens disappear.

sounds like a trip to Uniden repair, anyone else have this issue? Any fix to it?

thanks,
How long have you had it? I have had my 325p2, since 2016., and have never had this problem.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If the display is bad only on menus and works normally with scanning, that isn't a display problem. You could have had something stored in memory that removing the batteries eliminated. If it occurs again, I would suggest reloading the firmware. I have seen many desktop computers that would lock up or didn't function properly until the AC power cable was unplugged after shutdown.

kayleesdad

Seems to be heat related. It worked fine again until I left the car in the sun for an hour, then the menu flickering started again. Let it alone in air conditioned office for a couple of hours and back to normal again. Bought it new last July.

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Looks like if you would have sent it in for repair they would probably say there is nothing wrong with it...

tvengr

Well Known Member
You should be able to make it fail again by heating it with a hair dryer. If that is the case, make sure that Uniden knows it is a heat related problem if you return it for repair. It could be something like an intermittent memory cell. I would still try reloading the firmware before returning the scanner.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Deliberately subjecting any electronics to its mortal enemy isn’t the way to go. Otherwise why do you think the HVAC systems installed in those large server storage buildings cost more that what they are protecting? A hair dryer? Seriously? Either send the scanner in for testing or try a test of your own before you send it in for repair/testing by putting it back in the car and see if the issue goes away after the car cools down. A car will heat up to temps that will render some displays “whiteout” useless until they cool down.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Deliberately subjecting any electronics to its mortal enemy isn’t the way to go. Otherwise why do you think the HVAC systems installed in those large server storage buildings cost more that what they are protecting? A hair dryer? Seriously? Either send the scanner in for testing or try a test of your own before you send it in for repair/testing by putting it back in the car and see if the issue goes away after the car cools down. A car will heat up to temps that will render some displays “whiteout” useless until they cool down.
I worked as a TV broadcast maintenance engineer for 45 years and heating equipment with thermal related problems is a standard maintenance procedure. I am not talking about heating it up to a dangerous temperature, just warm enough to make the problem occur. I have repaired many pieces of equipment by heating it with a hair dryer and then determining defective components using a refrigerant spray. When you chill the defective component, the equipment will begin functioning again. Extreme temperatures can be reached in a vehicle in direct sunlight. If the scanner malfunctions in his home after being on for a while, warming it up a little just speeds up the process. That will verify it is a heat related problem. A word of warning: Do NOT use a heat gun designed for heat shrink tubing!

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
At no time is it proper to unduly submit electronics to testing that could possibly shorten the life of the components when there are other testing practices available. It’s not a perfect quote from the text but close enough.

Your reply and this post from me do nothing constructive for the original issue at hand and therefore it will be my last. Why you find it necessary to advise someone use a hair dryer on a scanner, never mind a heat shrink gun, that if not used properly can and will warp plastic is beyond me. No need to reply as my question is rhetorical.

Why you felt it necessary to include your resume eludes me. I respect your opinion no differently than before you found it necessary to tell us who you are, I’m guessing in an effort to impress. I believe the accepted policy is to state your opinion, which you and I did and move on, regardless of how much they differ. But when you responded to my post it gave me permission to double down. But only once. As for resumes, I can’t (and wouldn’t even if I could) reply with mine. I’m bound by certain U.S. military constraints even though I’m retired. But I’ve spread enough around the internet over the years where you can get a good understanding of my qualifications if you know where to look. And like yours, they are meaningless if there’s a disagreement.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Just one question. If you remove the case or cover to service a scanner or any other electronic equipment with a heat related problem, it may not fail at all with the additional ventilation. How do you troubleshoot and repair a problem if the equipment is working properly?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
tvengr's post #14 is a common practice in the electronics industry...

Heat gun and circuit cooler spay... To isolate erratic component's

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
If it works with the cover off but not when you put the cover back on, and your suspicion is the only thing that changed was the ventilation or lack of ventilation, send it back for repair. The tolerances of certain components might have changed.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
The heat guns I used to use had a high and low setting... The low setting was like a hair dryer... High was used for shrink tubing...

Status
Not open for further replies.