BCD396T Printing Issue - UPMan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
My scanner is a few weeks away from warranty expiration, so I decided I best get on the move and send in for an repair on the scanner to fix the faded print.

I sent my e-mail to Uniden on 6/16, but have yet to receive anything from Uniden even acknowledging that they received the request. What's the normal expected time frame for me to receive shipping instructions?

cristisphoto

Silk screen

Ahh yes the Infamous Screen issues...
That is WELL documented and has since been corrected on later model's

Hence, Fortunatly mine has NOT faded

But I would CALL them ...
That would hence be faster ..
As by the time yoiu wait for a reply then your warranty will have been long expired:roll:

But is you search Uniden.com site then you wiil find that the Silk screen is indeed VERY common..
Or at least was...

Crista

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
cristisphoto said:
But I would CALL them ...
That would hence be faster ..
As by the time yoiu wait for a reply then your warranty will have been long expired:roll:

But is you search Uniden.com site then you wiil find that the Silk screen is indeed VERY common..
Or at least was...

I sent my e-mail to the special mailbox that Uniden established to specifically deal with this issue. I did try calling, but I got a voice mail box (and being that's the kind of business I'm in, I don't trust them for specific reasons - things like auto-delete unheard messages and the like.)

This issue is posted on their site, and the directions I obtained from their site on this issue was followed to the letter.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
n5gqb said:

Now, let's look at this page:

Uniden Technical Support Website said:
Question:
The ink on my BCD396T has rubbed off, what do I do?

Answer:
If the case print has worn off of your BCD396T?s front case, Uniden will replace the front case of the scanner under warranty. You can initiate warranty service by e-mailing the following information to BCD396T@uniden.com.

Name
Shipping address
Phone #
Serial number of affected unit(s)

In the event you do not have access to e-mail, you can also provide the information via phone by calling 1-800-621-9943. Please note: this e-mail and phone number are specifically dedicated for BCD396T?s with case wear. For general customer support, use our normal customer service 800 number or e-mail address.

On June 16th, I followed the directions to the letter (as I stated originally), sending an e-mail to the mailbox listed. I work in telecommunications for a major corporation and first attempted to call the toll free number. Realizing it was voice mail, I knew the risk of an error was greater, than by e-mail.

My E-Mail Sent Box said:
From: Michael W. Jones [mailto:deleted.to.avoid.spam@mydomain.com]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 00:50
To: 'BCD396T@uniden.com'
Subject: Screen Print Issue BCD396T

Michael W. Jones
My Street Address
Houston, TX 77000-0000

Day 713-000-0000
Eve 713-000-0000
Cell 281-000-0000

328Z54000000

Keep in mind, the e-mail was sent with legitimate information. For my privacy, I have removed all unique identifying information from this quote.

The bottom line is, a friend of mine got an e-mail response in three days. I'm now at two weeks with no response.

rg65

Premium Subscriber
Uniden DOES NOT answer emails. Their site might say they do, but I have sent 4 about another issue on my 996. No answer yet. I'm Waiting!!

SCPD

QRT
I've had more e-mails go into the vast electronic wasteland than I have had voicemails go missing. Especially on dedicated help lines like Uniden has set up. After 2 weeks I'd at least give it a go.

Your alternate perhaps would be to PM Upman and see if he can move things forward for you.

Good luck.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'll check into it on Monday (nothing I can do from the house). Email me (not PM) with your real name/email address, etc.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I think they have, or used to have, a special web site set up just for the silk screen print wear issue. The last few times I tried to access it, I got a message that the website was down until further notice. Any additional info on this? I have lost the URL for it.

n5gqb

Then I don't know what to tell you Mike, that's how I contacted Uniden and returned mine.
I got a response back right away (within 24hrs) with a link to printout a Fedex ppd mailing label. Turn around time was about a week. This was done just a couple weeks ago.
Good luck,
Sly

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
John_M said:
You can start a repair request here:

http://www.uniden.com/repair/info.cfm

The only difference here is you will have to pay for shipping to the repair center yourself, but you won't have to wait for shipping labels. I sent my 2 396t's in for the silk screen issue this way.

I don't have an objection to paying shipping (I can get the shipping cheap), and I will resort to that if necessary.

I have already sent an e-mail to UPMan, and will await his response this week before taking that action.

Thank you to everyone for your comments.

scootz

Premium Subscriber
Could be like me.

I sent mine in the first part of May, got it back. Screen issue was not dealt with. Sent a note back that said the unit performs to specification. :evil:

With my work schedule, I have not been able to get back to them to rectify the situation, especially when I sent the unit in specifically for that issue.

Someone apparently had a wire crossed when mine went through for support. :roll:

Scott

cristisphoto

Try the where you ACTUALLY bought her,,,,

ASSUNMING YOU BOUGHT HER NEW...

Why don't you get the "store" in which you bought it at, deal with Uniden...

That what I would do !!
cause I have ENOUGH hedaches on my table:roll:

Anyways,
I would harass them eventually they will get tired of you and DO WHATEVER it takes to get rid of ya..
IE
ANswering your calls and dealing with the problem MAYBE lol:roll:

ANyways
I hope you resolve the issue SOOON
and PLEASE, keep us updated as to show fthe rest of us how to properly deal with
Uniden....

Warm Regards,
Crista

yaesumofo

When I had this issue I sent an e-amil to UPman and I had an RMA in a coupple of days. I sent the radio in and had it back within 2 weeks.
Easy and simple.
My only real problem with this is the fact that I had to go through the process in the first place.
I still am convinced that the 396 is the finest hand held scanner on the market today.

Yaesumofo

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I did mine last fall, and it went like clockwork. I submitted my info, and within a couple days had a response back from a customer service rep (can't recall her name), and even exchanged a couple of emails with her about minor details. Unit was shipped with prepaid FedEx label and returned within a couple weeks. Good luck. I know Paul will make sure you're taken care of.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Resolved. We had some personnel shift around and the email forwarder ended up dead-linked. There were only a couple of folks in the queue and they should all be taken care of this week.

scootz: email (not PM) me.

Status
Not open for further replies.