BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadjammer

I'm thinking of purchasing a Uniden BCD436HP and find it rather odd that Uniden would sell a top of the line $500 scanner without an ac adapter. May I ask how do you run the scanner when it arrives without a way to plug it in assuming the enclosed batteries are dead. And without a/c adapter how do you charge the batteries? Someone also told me that the batteries will charge only with the scanner off. I've never owned a scanner that didn't ship with an adapter and didn't charge the batteries while the scanner was on or off. So the adapter must be a separate item yet their $70 analog scanner ships with an adapter. Seems like a nice scanner (I have the Home Patrol) and I know set up is easy but gosh for $500 give us a way to plug it in.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
The USB Cable that comes with the 436 is used to power scanner, charge batteries and program the scanner all in one cable

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Any USB wall wart, or computer USB connection will work with this cable, and the BCD436HP. Keep in mind that the BCD436HP won't charge the internal batteries while it is turned on. It only charges them when the scanner is turned off, and plugged into a USB power source.

I really don't recommend using the scanner to charge the batteries, though. The scanner charges on time only, and can easily overcharge and damage the batteries. You should buy a quality NiMH battery charger, and an extra set (or two) of batteries, and charge them outside of the scanner. Swap them into the scanner when they run down, and recharge them in the external charger.

But don't you need a wall adapter/ charger to plug this cable into?

leadjammer

Thanks for that info. I may reconsider my choice. Whoever heard of having to swap out batteries every 4-6 hours. And you can't listen to the scanner for 15 hours while they are charging in the unit.. I've had the same rechargeables in my 396xt for two years. No thanks. I'll keep what I have. Appreciate the input.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Get the 436. No problem charging batteries inside the unit. You can use any 5V USB power supply with the included cable. Had my 436 for nearly 4 years and only on my second set of rechargeable batteries. I keep it plugged in at home and use the batteries when I leave the house. I have no problem getting 8 hours of usage out of a charge. Don't let this stop you from buying the best handheld scanner on the market.

seesharp15

Premium Subscriber
Just ordered one on Amazon. Looking forward to playing around with it

seesharp15

Premium Subscriber
the BCD436HP is awesome. you won't regret it... just got mine today. I'm basically a noob but i figured out the software & basic functions of the radio. pretty great so far...

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Get the 436 I have one and I love it charging is never a problem. You can use a cellular phone adapter to charge it in your house or even in your cigarette lighter of your car if you want to. I think it puts out like .5 volts if I remember

RICamper777

I received a Sky Tech model # B44-502A, output 5.0V plug (black)for charging the battery’s with my scanner. It not working, a small blue light would come on when I plugged it into a wall plug, that is now out, I’m thinking it N G, currently charging battery’s using P C lap top. We’re to look for Sky Tech replacement plug ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I believe Paul Opitz also volunteered his recomendation to charge the batteries outside of the radio. But don’t quote me as his comments may have been taken out of context... possibly in response to a question asking why the BCD436HP uses its current (required) method of recharging due the Ca ruling. Or in response to the “ideal” general method of recharging nicads... which is in a outboard, regulated, stand-alone charger designed to condition, recondition and charge with the ability to turn off the charger when it senses the batteries are fully charged, then monitor and turn back on when needed when/if they loose power. In any event, I would discourage the “recharging while in the radio” method as detrimental to the batteries and/or the radio. Continuing the charging current to an already charged battery (or uncharged battery for that matter) creates heat. And heat, as we all know, is the main enemy of batteries and electronic components. And while deemed safe, it can cause life expectancy of batteries to be shortened dramatically. The battery “dries out” quicker. Good quality nicads are not cheap. So I recharge outside of the radio in order to preserve my batteries using the lowest charge rate available, keeping the generated heat as low as possible, realistically speaking.

RICamper777

I believe Paul Opitz also volunteered his recomendation to charge the batteries outside of the radio. But don’t quote me as his comments may have been taken out of context... possibly in response to a question asking why the BCD436HP uses its current (required) method of recharging due the Ca ruling. Or in response to the “ideal” general method of recharging nicads... which is in a outboard, regulated, stand-alone charger designed to condition, recondition and charge with the ability to turn off the charger when it senses the batteries are fully charged, then monitor and turn back on when needed when/if they loose power. In any event, I would discourage the “recharging while in the radio” method as detrimental to the batteries and/or the radio. Continuing the charging current to an already charged battery (or uncharged battery for that matter) creates heat. And heat, as we all know, is the main enemy of batteries and electronic components. And while deemed safe, it can cause life expectancy of batteries to be shortened dramatically. The battery “dries out” quicker. Good quality nicads are not cheap. So I recharge outside of the radio in order to preserve my batteries using the lowest charge rate available, keeping the generated heat as low as possible, realistically speaking.

How would one then charge the internal small battery inside the scanner that keeps track of the time and date ?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
How would one then charge the internal small battery inside the scanner that keeps track of the time and date ?

The RTC battery charges whenever the unit is turned on.

If you don't mind voiding the warranty, there are a couple mods you can do to the scanner to bypass the CA-mandated stupidity. The first is soldering a 22-ohm resistor and a diode between in series between the positive battery terminal and a the USB power pad on the front circuit board, so the stock batteries will trickle charge whenever USB power is plugged in. The second option is to convert the unit to Li-ion batteries, which extends battery life to over 13 hours.

RICamper777

The RTC battery charges whenever the unit is turned on.

If you don't mind voiding the warranty, there are a couple mods you can do to the scanner to bypass the CA-mandated stupidity. The first is soldering a 22-ohm resistor and a diode between in series between the positive battery terminal and a the USB power pad on the front circuit board, so the stock batteries will trickle charge whenever USB power is plugged in. The second option is to convert the unit to Li-ion batteries, which extends battery life to over 13 hours.

Thank you, I will get the battery’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.