bcd996t scanning speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaRebel

Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to speed up the scanning speeds on a 996t? It seems like it takes about 10 sec to scan through 27 channels or frequencies programed in on a conventional system. I have them sorted from lowest to highest. They are all in the 154-155 band except for two.

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
GaRebel said:
Is there any way to speed up the scanning speeds on a 996t? I
I know you said only one system, but make sure all your System Hold Times are set to zero (this is not the same as channel delay). The default is often 2 seconds, which really adds up

Last edited:

GaRebel

Premium Subscriber
With system hold times set to 0, it takes 7 sec to scan the 27 freqs in group #1 of my local system. The specs says: Scan Rate: 100 channels per second (conventional mode)
Am I misunderstanding something here?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Do you have CTCSS search set up on any? How do you know how long it takes to scan?

GaRebel

Premium Subscriber
Here is how I came up with my scanning times. I have created a System called “Local”. In it I have two groups. Group 1 is my city\county freqs (quick key 1) and Group 2 has my surrounding county’s freqs (quick key 2). With both keys enabled, on my display I see two numbers, 1 and 2. As it scans group 1, the number 1 blinks. When it jumps to group 2, the number 2 blinks. I count the seconds as number 1 blinks then the seconds as number 2 blinks. Group 1 has 27 freqs in it and group 2 has 25 freqs in it. Group 1 blinks about 7 seconds then group 2 blinks for about 7 seconds. This is how I came up with the scan time. I may be way out in left field with this. I have a Pro2006 and as it scans through the same freqs or channels and it only takes a sec. How can you check a scan time on the 996 scanner?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
That's not the way to do it... That just tells you how long the numbers blink. Also make sure your group hold times are 0 sec.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you want to time it, put the last channel as a constant broadcast channel. Hit SCAN, then time how long it takes to hit the broadcast again.

You are probably seeing a display artifact (the display doesn't keep up with the scan speed).

GaRebel

Premium Subscriber
Your right. Can't go by the blinking number. When it locks on a transmission, I can hit scan and in less that a sec it is back on that active channel. So it's doing what it's suppose to do. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.