BCD996XT reset problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb3j

I just reset my radio to clear all settings and data. I've attempted to download from the ARC software which I have done numerous times.

After the reset, the software keeps telling me there is no scanner connected. As a precaution, I reinstalled the USB driver for the cord, still no dice.

I reset the scanner again, this time allowing the default systems to be programmed. I tried again to resend the data from the program....again, no scanner connected message.

Is there something I'm missing that I need to do do get the software to recognize the scanner? Nothing was changed on the pc end.....

'73

Jim
wb3j

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
When you reinstalled the driver did you go to Device Manager to insure that the COM port it allocated is the COM port ARC is expecting? Don't expect it to assign the same port all over again...it might not

73 Mike

wb3j

The same thing happened to me with arc software ....I downloaded freescan and i got connected and got the scanner programed...

I downloaded the freenscan too....but it calls for com 1 on a pc. I'm using a newer laptop with a USB connection & the uniden driver for this. I didn't see how I could change freescan from com 1 to com 5 where my USB is active. Very frustrating...

wb3j

With Freescan I get an error message "error 57 the comp port 1 doesn't exist"

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can manually change the COM port using the pulldowns, and there's a 'TEST' button on the upper right to test your connection. I can't install FreeScan on my work PC, so I can't try this myself....

Also, be sure you are using the most up to date drivers - I know UPMan put the link for the Prolific drivers on his TWiki website, and I think Assaf has also got them. 73 Mike

[edit] This wiki article discusses some of the more common COM port errors

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Freescan_-_Connecting_Scanner_to_PC

Does the 996XT have that control channel output function? If it does, make sure it's off - FreeScan can't connect to it if that option is on

Last edited:

wb3j

When you reinstalled the driver did you go to Device Manager to insure that the COM port it allocated is the COM port ARC is expecting? Don't expect it to assign the same port all over again...it might not

73 Mike

The Arc software is defaulting to comm 5. When I open device manager, comm 5 is showing the USB port, which was where it always was. I also manually changed the port choices in ARC to every port it showed on my computer....still nothing.

wb3j

Thanks Mike....I didn't see the option to change the port settings yesterday in Freescan. I have located the option now. It found it...comm 5....where it said it wasn't. Weird.

'73,

Jim

pedrofreddy

In freescan go to scanner /control scanner com port setup.... it should find your scanner.....or try proscan....both work for me.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I don't know why a reset of the scanner would cause all this com port problems.
The only think it may have changed is the baud rate which may lead software to say the scanner isn't there.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The only think it may have changed is the baud rate which may lead software to say the scanner isn't there.

wb3j

I changed the baud rate for the front port as well...no luck.

JonCinMN

You can manually change the COM port using the pulldowns, and there's a 'TEST' button on the upper right to test your connection. I can't install FreeScan on my work PC, so I can't try this myself....

Also, be sure you are using the most up to date drivers - I know UPMan put the link for the Prolific drivers on his TWiki website, and I think Assaf has also got them. 73 Mike

I have had to hit the 'TEST' buttons several times for FreeScan to connect.

I use the 'AUTO detection'. When it pauses on 'trying...', I hit the test button, if it doesn't find your scanner hit test button again and again until it connects. (It might take 10 tries). It worked for me.

I'll try to attach the latest Prolific driver if you need it. I just went through all this yesterday with my 396XT.

Jon

*edit*

The upload failed, but the file is: PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_1025.zip

Last edited:

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
I changed the baud rate for the front port as well...no luck.

i don't have a 996xt my self, but i do have a 396t, and i was wondering when you did the reset did it reset the pc control on the scanner, and have you reset it to the appropriate rate in the scanner?

wb3j

I finally got it to recognize the radio. I re-installed the ARC software....removed the USB driver....changed every com port setting....finally if found it. The Freescan software found it after changing the com port, yet ARC still refused. I have no idea why it wouldn't find the scanner then it finally did.

Thanks to those who responded.

'73,

Jim
wb3j

w2csx

Premium Subscriber

Cause when you reset the bcd996xt is defaults back to com3 and baud rate of 115200. Just another thought,when you install the
usb driver ,you might have a com port conflict ,so you might have to go into control panel and check for that under system setting.

Last edited:

rescue111ca

Premium Subscriber
BCD996XT rec Jack

Hello I have a BCD996XT and have been recording from the jack at the back for about 1/2 a year know . and last week it stopped working the other ext spaek jack works but can not get anything from the record
jack .

Thanks Rod

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Good Point

Make sure your Record Out settings haven't been turned off...

Some of the programming software may turn the record option OFF. I use the RECORD OUT for my feed audio so I can set channels which are not to be broadcast to OFF and I can still hear them here w/o broadcasting on the feed. Saves having to delete the T/G or lock out the T/G. Also the REC Out is a Line level output which isn't adjusted by the Volume control.

Status
Not open for further replies.