BCT8 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-MSP

Hi, I'm new to this site and to scanners for that matter. My future father-in-law gave me his BCT8, he said he couldn't figure it out. I looked through the owners manual and I couldn't find anything to help me. When I turn the scanner on, it beeps, flashes the alert light, and the display flashes 'test'. I emailed Uniden, but they just told me to consult the owners manual. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dgoodnough

I tried researching your issue and found this:

This is a very nice trunk scanner minus the WFM. Very easy to understand the book and program. However if you need to do a complete reset of this scanner don't look in the manual or search the internet cause you won't find it. I'll save you the time of calling Uniden...complete reset is, turn scanner off, press and hold the 2, 9 and HWY(STATE) buttons then turn the scanner back on. Scanner should be all clear and reset.

This is quoted from the following page:

Talk:BCT8 - The RadioReference Wiki

Hope this works for you.

dchamp3681

How I programmed my BCT*

It took me a week to understand how to program it though. No one has clear instructions. I had N_ALSCAN to talking with me about it. He streams some Huntsville scanner traffic. I could not have figured it out without his help.

First I had to upgrade the firmware because of the Local Public Safety Radio rebanding.The link is on the RR site and the Uniden site.

Next I purchased the ARC8 programming software from scannermaster.

Then upgraded my RR subscription to allow direct downloading from their web service. (It is possible to program all of the frequencies manually). I went the easy route. It only took a week LOL.

Here is the tricky part that no one tells you. *** With the trunked system you desire selected check all the Main talkgroup boxes. Then uncheck the talkgroup and sub talkgroup boxes that you don't want to listen to***. This way you don't miss any of the main talkgroups.

In the trunking tab Ion the ARC8 software I had to select trunking system type (motorola type 2 for me), turn on delay, turn on ignore end signal, and set the tab to plan 2 for the Huntsville Public safety system.

The scanner has to be set to receive remote programming. (press and hold the ( . ) on the BCT8 pick the baud rate. and establish communication with the computer containing the software.

Next upload the data to the scanner selecting all the boxes in the trunking section.

I hope this helps you

1812Marine

Premium Subscriber
Bct8 / arc8

dchamp3681 or any one else who may want to help a newbie out

How did you figure out this stuff for your area?
In the trunking tab Ion the ARC8 software I had to select trunking system type (motorola type 2 for me), turn on delay, turn on ignore end signal, and set the tab to plan 2 for the Huntsville Public safety system.

CT-MSP

Thanks everyone. I did the reset and now it works. This scanner is definitely going to take a while to figure out. I have the basics figured out so far.

dchamp3681

BCT8 programming

It took me a week of looking for programming help on the web. I knew I was missing something small but could not figure it out. Finally a guy here in Huntsville told me it sounded like I did'nt have the talk groups loaded. I went back and looked and sure enough I had selected all of the sub talk groups but had forgotten to select the main talk groups. So I went back into the RR database selected the Huntsville Public Safety and checked all then unchecked the groups that I did'nt want to hear.

I believe I can help if you post the kind of trouble you are having.

Remember you are programming the PVT banks and you must have trunk selected to scan the trunked frequencies.

dgoodnough

Thanks everyone. I did the reset and now it works. This scanner is definitely going to take a while to figure out. I have the basics figured out so far.

Glad the reset worked. The easiest way to program is with software, but if you don't have software, the best way would be to follow the link ka3jjz suggested. Trial and error, you will eventually figure it out.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.