BearTracker 885

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trucker700

New 885 arrived earlier this week. Temporarily hooked it up here in the house to program it. Downloaded the update software and put the MicroSD card in my card reader and downloaded the database update and put the card in the radio. Turned it on and it loaded up pretty quick. Started picking up PD signals quickly. Audio is good. I'm not used to digital audio and some of the calls were a bit robotic sounding. But, considering I had the wire antenna just stuck to the window of my radio room, it did pretty good. I will be installing the radio in my truck (2004 Peterbilt) next week. Going to Arizona from Texas so, t should get a good workout.
Trucker700

Trucker700

Well, made first trip with the CB/Scanner in the big truck today. Went to Arkansas from Texas and back. It worked pretty good. But, the Beartracker Watch System really didn't seem to be of much use. In Fort Worth and Dallas, it went off repeatedly and I only saw one police vehicle in the area. I got into Rockwall, TX and there was probably 6 to 8 Department of Public Safety officers making traffic stops on both sides of I-30. They were in all stages of stops, from hitting the lights to stop somebody to having someone outside the vehicle. Yet, not a single peep out of the BWS warning system. So, it may not be such an attractive part of the radio/scanner. I talked to several drivers I know and all were interested in the radio until I told them what I paid for it. ($379.00 from HamCity.com) And I told them that some vendors were asking as much as $449 plus tax and shipping. Nearly every single one of them said there was no way they'd pay that much for a cb and scanner combo. They even balked at the price I paid. (the dealer I bought mine from only had two) I think at the current price point it's going to be a bit of a hard sell for most truckers. Some like myself, might do it. But, most won't. Too many know they can get one of the export CB's for less that runs more power. (but no scanner of course)
I like mine. I don't speed so the BearTracker Warning System is not a big deal.
But, I do wish the display did more than show, " Police, Fire, EMS, DOT" etc. It easily scrolls "Scanning" in the same space. Why not have it scroll the name of the service? Dallas PD or something like that when it stops on an active channel?
I'm wondering if it will pick up any state patrol officers like the Texas Department of Public Safety (highway patrol)? It doesn't get Arkansas's state troopers either. They may be encrypted. But, no way to know what it actually gets. If the BearTracker Warning System is using a frequency from different law enforcement services, it makes me wonder what services it is receiving from. Is it their radio system or their computer systems in their vehicles? Either way, it's really not very effective at this point. Maybe in a future release of the radio's firmware, that can be addressed.
One other thing, the 885 shares the exact same issue with the display that the 880 and 980 have, it is near impossible to see the display in bright sunlight. I have a 980 and that is my only complaint about that radio. The display is not LCD. I can shine a light on the LCD display of my ICOM 7100 and it is even more readable than it already is. Do the same thing with the 980 and now the 885 and the display disappears completely. It has to be a back lit LED display. Too bad the brightness level cannot be set higher to compensate for the dimness of the display.
Oh, one more thing, Why does the scanner squelch only have 3 settings? Even at level 1 it is too much and cuts off the signal in mid-sentence at times. There are several things I like about this radio and scanner, but, there are also several things that could have been done better. At the price I paid and what some other sellers are asking, I doubt that this radio is going to sell like hotcakes, once early adopters like myself, get them and tell others about them. Hopefully, Uniden will find a way to lower the price to attract more buyers. Then, maybe, they will address some of the issues I mentioned here. Fix those and it would be a great radio to have in an 18 wheeler.
trucker700

plughie

From what I'm seeing, there's no way to program frequencies into the scan list. I'd love to be able to add the area ham repeaters into the scanner. Can we edit the weekly update file to add them?

Trucker700

I'm sure you could do it with Sentinal, by replacing frequencies under one of the catagories the radio uses with the data for your local amateur repeaters. But, you would not know by looking at the display which one you were listening to. The scanner in this radio isn't meant for the serious scanner user. It's for truckers and people on the road all or nearly all, of the time. If you're wanting a scanner that you can program what you want in it, this radio won't make you happy. It's close enough in price to other Uniden scanners that have all the bells and whistles, that you would be better off getting one of them and a cheap CB if you need one. Otherwise, you'll never be happy with the 885.
Tricker

blue5011

Glad I read thru topic this, as I "was" going to buy one.

I am not interested in any scanner that I cannot control what "channel/ freq" it stops on, or a display that will not show a P25 TalkGroup. According to RR, my county is still using VHF channels it has not used in 5 years... Everything law enforcement/ EMS in MN is 800mhz P25. And I do not need it cycling thru every known agency in MN, because all state/ county agencies are theoretically available on every tower site.

Seems one can edit the program list w/ Sentinel software -- what a nightmare Sentinel is (compared to Freescan used on 996XT's).

The price is high, I would expect a better "scanner" experience. Even long-haul truck drivers won't by these units once they fully understand the limitations.

Then there is the issue of a scanner in a mobile vehicle --something at least MN frowns upon (need a letter of approval from received agency or ham license)

Btw, I currently use a BCD996XT in my pickup w/ only a rubber-duck antenna attached to the back to receive. Got no problems hearing the MN ARMER 800mhz P25 system.

Trucker700

I am a long haul truck driver. And I can tell you from experience using this CB radio/Scanner combo, that it works just fine. With all the laws for "distracted driving" and all the things a trucker has to watch out for, having to fiddle with TalkGroups, editing etc., is not worth the ticket one would get messing with a scanner like the 536 while going down the road. The radio has an attached GPS that allows it to load only the frequencies within a limited distance from a driver's current location. It works really well. It's easy to update the database using the SD card too. It has four basic categories, Police, Ambulance, Fire, DOT. And a fifth category Multi, for areas that dispatch several different agencies on the same repeater system. Any or all of which can be locked out individually, if needed.
Using this radio I have avoided several major accidents that occurred along my route that had I not known in advance where they were, would have had me sitting for hours waiting for the accident to clear. Those hours lost sitting, count against my hours of service and prevent me from getting to where I need to be on time. With the new Electronic Logging Device mandate that starts in December, knowing about things like road closures is even more important.
I agree that the radio is expensive, but, in my opinion, it is worth the money I paid for it. And should something happen to mine (stolen for example) I would not hesitate to purchase another 885. I like it that much!
I have no need to edit anything that the radio receives, it picks up everything I need it to. It is not a Scanner Enthusiasts scanner. It's a truckers CB/Scanner. And it does it's job well. As for your statement about it cycling thru every known agency in Minnesota, it will only cycle thru the four (actually five) categories I mentioned earlier. And only those in a range of about 30 miles. And that's with me using a tri-band Larsen mobile antenna mounted on my passenger's side mirror mount.
You cannot purchase a scanner that does P25 I & II and all the other digital modes that a radio like the 536 does and a basic CB radio for near the price of the 885. And best of all, in states where having a scanner is considered illegal, I have been thru DOT inspections and had the officer look directly at the radio (off of course) and not question it at all. Try that with your 996XT in some states and it will get confiscated. (unless you are a licensed Amateur Radio operator........which I am as well, as you are)
Point is, in all this, I see no reason to complain about the lack of "scanner" experience for this radio when it is clearly NOT marketed towards scanner enthusiasts.
I've used this radio/scanner combo from California to Florida and it has worked flawlessly. It's been over rough roads that would destroy some radios I've owned in the past. The only real complaint I have about this radio is the display brightness. It's just not quite bright enough. It's OK, but, not great. But, again, even with that, I'd replace it with another one in a heartbeat if something happens to this one.
trucker

a29zuk

Glad I read thru topic this, as I "was" going to buy one.

I am not interested in any scanner that I cannot control what "channel/ freq" it stops on, or a display that will not show a P25 TalkGroup. According to RR, my county is still using VHF channels it has not used in 5 years... Everything law enforcement/ EMS in MN is 800mhz P25. And I do not need it cycling thru every known agency in MN, because all state/ county agencies are theoretically available on every tower site.

Well the RR database is updated by us the listener/hobbyist. So feel free to use the "Submit Info" button at the top of this page to have the database for Minnesota updated.

Jim

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And I do not need it cycling thru every known agency in MN, because all state/ county agencies are theoretically available on every tower site.

Scanners monitoring trunked systems don't "cycle thru" or scan talkgroups. They monitor the control channel of a site, and only reference programmed talkgroup IDs when a voice channel grant is made, to determine whether to play the transmission or not. You can have thousands of talkgroups programmed with minimal impact on scanner performance.

blue5011

As for your statement about it cycling thru every known agency in Minnesota, it will only cycle thru the four (actually five) categories I mentioned earlier. And only those in a range of about 30 miles

First off I am a long-haul driver too. Everything I can use to keep track of the road ahead, I will use.

And what you fail to realize about the 885 combo unit is that EVERY agency is able to be on EVERY tower site in the MN ARMER system. Which means it is cycling thru 600 some agencies for each mile you travel through. Plus I have seen first hand how a 996XT and a Sentinel-based Home Patrol scanner receives by virtue of it's zip code defined selection.

I agree, it is better than nothing. And I am looking at it as more of a scanner than anything else.

If one knows little about scanner receivers, then it will "float your boat".

And wait a few months, after the local DOT finds out there will be a illegal scanner on trucks, they will take notice.

blue5011

Well the RR database is updated by us the listener/hobbyist. So feel free to use the "Submit Info" button at the top of this page to have the database for Minnesota updated.

Jim

The wrong info has been there for over five years now, as the MN ARMER info is not listed separately by county. The RR database is still carrying old/ outdated VHF freq that NO ONE IN THE COUNTY USES. There are no VHF radios in the squad cars/ EMS/ Fire/ Ambulances.

blue5011

Scanners monitoring trunked systems don't "cycle thru" or scan talkgroups. They monitor the control channel of a site, and only reference programmed talkgroup IDs when a voice channel grant is made, to determine whether to play the transmission or not. You can have thousands of talkgroups programmed with minimal impact on scanner performance.

You have never seen a Sentinel-based scanner such as a Home Patrol function w/ the MN ARMER system then, because it is cycling thru every know agency in MN, because every state/ county/ city agency could "pop-up" any where, on any tower site.

I live along Interstate 90. And when at home I will see all kinds of TalkGroup ID's pop in, as I also run a 996XT on a logging program 24/7. Out-of-area radio ID's are not that uncommon.

Trucker700

First off I am a long-haul driver too. Everything I can use to keep track of the road ahead, I will use.

And what you fail to realize about the 885 combo unit is that EVERY agency is able to be on EVERY tower site in the MN ARMER system. Which means it is cycling thru 600 some agencies for each mile you travel through. Plus I have seen first hand how a 996XT and a Sentinel-based Home Patrol scanner receives by virtue of it's zip code defined selection.

I agree, it is better than nothing. And I am looking at it as more of a scanner than anything else.

And wait a few months, after the local DOT finds out there will be a illegal scanner on trucks, they will take notice.

So, you think the zip code based system is better than GPS location based systems? I would think GPS based would be better because it updates frequencies being used on the fly.
As for knowing little about scanners, I know enough to know I don't need or want the distraction of a fully featured scanner while driving. As a truck driver you should understand that. Also, because of limited availabilty, I' not worried about DOT taking notice. Price and availability (only have seen the 885 online not in any truckstops or CB shops) will most likely keep it from selling in big numbers. And most truck fleets won't allow more antennas mounted on a truck other than the factory CB antenna. So, the danger of it getting confiscated is pretty low. It is an FCC type approved radio , not some over powered import claiming to be a 10 meter Amateur radio.
Time will tell. Use and enjoy what you are happy with and I'll do the same.
Trucker

phask

Premium Subscriber
Number of talkgroups (or 600 agencies as you state) has No, nada, zero , bearing on the scan spreed of any trunked system. The number of SITES does.

Once it obtains the control channel it takes less tha 2 seconds to determine trunk activity.

Now if those ALL have activity - it will be slow.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And what you fail to realize about the 885 combo unit is that EVERY agency is able to be on EVERY tower site in the MN ARMER system. Which means it is cycling thru 600 some agencies for each mile you travel through.

Actually, you are wrong. Talkgroups are NOT scanned like analog channels. The scanner monitors the control channel on nearby site(s) and looks up the talkgroup ID when a user keys the mic. You can have thousands of talkgroups programmed for a system with minimal impact on performance.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You have never seen a Sentinel-based scanner such as a Home Patrol function w/ the MN ARMER system then, because it is cycling thru every know agency in MN, because every state/ county/ city agency could "pop-up" any where, on any tower site.

Actually, I scan statewide trunked systems with my 436 on a regular basis. You're mostly wrong.

Every talkgroup is not broadcast on every system site. If it was, the system would overload and crash. Traffic is only carried on "out of area" sites if a user from the "out of area" agency is in range of the site, and roaming is allowed for the talkgroup. The only time you will hear traffic from the other side of the state is if the talkgroup is programmed as statewide, or when a user from that area is near the same site you are monitoring, and roaming is allowed.

GPS is a better way than ZIP code to identify nearby system sites for 2 reasons:

1. Entering a ZIP code resets the scanner Range to 20 miles, which means you're going to be scanning unnecessarily far.

2. GPS automatically updates your position and automaticaly toggles sites and channels when moving.

If you have Range set sensibly and a GPS connected, the scanner will only try to monitor a few nearby sites, not every site in the system, unless you are scanning from a Favorite List with location Control disabled, which is not recommended for obvious reasons.

N9JIG

Sheriff
JonWienke has it right. A conversation will only be carried on the towers in which there are radios affiliated with it. Some wide area systems (Like ARMER) may ALLOW all units to use all towers while other similar systems (SC21 in Illinois for example) may restrict the user to the sites they are specifically authorized for.

Regardless, only sites with affiliated radios will actually transmit the conversations.

Technoguy58

The wrong info has been there for over five years now, as the MN ARMER info is not listed separately by county. The RR database is still carrying old/ outdated VHF freq that NO ONE IN THE COUNTY USES. There are no VHF radios in the squad cars/ EMS/ Fire/ Ambulances.

Why don't you submit the info to the administrators and then it will be correct?? How many times have I read post where folks are saying info in the database is incorrect?? If you submit it, then maybe some of the errors could be fixed. This database is maintained solely by info that users submit. I regularly check on agencies in my area and submit incorrect info that I find as more and more agencies are switching to statewide or regional trunked systems. I think it would be nice if there was a tag for Deprecated systems that may technically still be active but are seldom if ever used. There are a number of VHF frequencies still on the air in my area. Still hear the repeater ID all the time. However, NO vhf radio in agency vehicles. So a deprecated tag would allow systems still technically on the air, but not being used, to not be loaded into various scanlist (Fire dispatch, Law dispatch, etc) that the newer scanners that use the RR database.

a29zuk

Why don't you submit the info to the administrators and then it will be correct?? How many times have I read post where folks are saying info in the database is incorrect?? If you submit it, then maybe some of the errors could be fixed. This database is maintained solely by info that users submit. I regularly check on agencies in my area and submit incorrect info that I find as more and more agencies are switching to statewide or regional trunked systems. I think it would be nice if there was a tag for Deprecated systems that may technically still be active but are seldom if ever used. There are a number of VHF frequencies still on the air in my area. Still hear the repeater ID all the time. However, NO vhf radio in agency vehicles. So a deprecated tag would allow systems still technically on the air, but not being used, to not be loaded into various scanlist (Fire dispatch, Law dispatch, etc) that the newer scanners that use the RR database.

That was my point in post 287. I should have separated my quote from blue5011's quote at the bottom of that post. He responded to it in post 290.

Jim

Last edited:

a29zuk

Jon, that wasn't my part of the quote(post 287)...just the part at the bottom about submitting updated info. I should have put a larger gap between blue5011's quote and my response. Sorry for the mix up.

Jim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.