Beginner in Radio Scanning with AOR DV 10 Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirFly

Hello everyone, I'm a beginner and need a short introduction to the radio scanner aor dv 10.
I have read the instructions but I can't receive anything at the moment can someone give me brief instructions on how I can programming the Radio Scanner so that i can hear somethings?
i live in switzerland. I found many Frequency but i dont hear somethings. You can answer me in english or in German. I want to hear the Airband or the amateur Radio. I have allready a callsign, but i am a beginner and i dont know how the radio scanner works. So please help me to programming for Switzerland Frequency.
is there some one who can help me?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forums:
Could you please post the source where you "found many frequencies"? There's not very much (if anything) ID'ed for Switzerland in Radioreference so perhaps the frequencies you found could be outdated? With regards to amateur radio there are ID'ed repeaters for Switzerland on Repeaterbook.com linked here you can try

Regarding programming the radio, the AR-DV10 is a complex receiver (I own one so I can speak firsthand) which can't easily be given a "short introduction". With that said, allow me to refer you to section 7 of the operator's manual linked here (starting on Page 27). Best wishes!

Last edited:

Ubbe

@Ubbe Welcome to RR a user named UBBE can help you
AOR's user interface are not logical and I need the user manual in front of me to operate my 8200. I have read user reviews of DV1 and DV10 and they seem the lack sensitivity and have bad selectivity and the general opinion are that they should cost half of what their current retail price are.

/Ubbe

MStep

AOR's user interface are not logical and I need the user manual in front of me to operate my 8200. I have read user reviews of DV1 and DV10 and they seem the lack sensitivity and have bad selectivity and the general opinion are that they should cost half of what their current retail price are.

/Ubbe

My DV1 operates rather well here in the heart of NYC, although it's not nearly as sensitive or selective as the Icom 8600 on the shortwave bands. When I purchased my DV1 about 7 years ago, the big attraction to the unit was that many digital modes were included at no additional cost. I would agree with you Ubbe that the approximate $1200 USD cost would probably be more realistic if it were in the $999 range. If for any reason at all, only that the technology is 6 or 7 years old. But these are more than capable receivers when used properly and with reasonable expectations.

For the OP--- as Whiskey3JMC points out, the AOR radios are somewhat complex devices and their similarities to a "regular" scanner are limited. I also advise those interested in the AOR series to think of these devices more as communications receivers that provide some limited scan functions.

I have no experience with the DV10, but I can tell you that my DV1 is my "go-to" radio when I need to dial something up in a hurry. I found this YouTube video for you which demonstrates the DV10 on AirBand. There are several other good videos on YouTube which demonstrate the various facets of the radio.

Ubbe

In that video you can see one of the major negative aspects of the user interface, there's no way to lockout or avoid a channel in scan when it is interfered, and it seems to happen quite a lot. You have to go into program mode and program a lockout to that frequency in that bank.

/Ubbe

MStep

In that video you can see one of the major negative aspects of the user interface, there's no way to lockout or avoid a channel in scan when it is interfered, and it seems to happen quite a lot. You have to go into program mode and program a lockout to that frequency in that bank.

/Ubbe

I think it can become second-nature Ubbe. On the DV1, there is a "PASS" button on the front panel. One the DV10, it appears you have got to Menu first, and then hit ENTER and then the PASS button, so it's several steps rather than one. And search lockout, or "PASS", seems to be very similar--- it's a process of hitting menu first, Enter, and then PASS on the display.

I don't believe you have to go into the Programming Mode to "PASS", or lockout frequencies during Search or Scan, but you do have to hit the menu button first since there is no dedicated PASS BUTTON on the front panel of the DV-10, as there is on the DV1.

AOR DV10 PASS.pngAOR DV10 PASS-1.png

The illustrations above are cut-and-paste from the AOR DV10 instruction manual. But no doubt Ubbe, that this at first seems a bit complicated. But since this is a special kind of receiver, I don't want SirFly to be discouraged. Once you get familiar with the radio, locking out a channel in either scan or search mode can become "second-nature" and can be accomplished very quickly.

The AOR DV1 and DV10 are probably not the best "scanners" for the first-timer looking for a Uniden or Whistler type scanner. And the DV10 had some early production issues with frequency drift, which have allegedly been corrected. But like the DV1, the frequency coverage and number of features of the DV10 makes it the all purpose "James Bond" type of radio for those on the move who need a multi-purpose device in a small package.

Last edited:

marvintpa

Hello All, Have been lurking on this forum for a long time but finally registered and had to chip in on this subject.

Shortcuts were added a long time back, they are really easy.

Ease of use (since v.1912A BETA)
o Faster way to set a PASS frequency during SEARCH: Press the CRL key.
o Faster way to toggle PASS frequencies ON/OFF during MEMCH: Press the CRL key.
o Faster way to toggle between MEMCH and SCAN functions: Press the [.] key.
o The SEARCH GROUP NUMBER and SCAN GROUP NUMBER can now also be set via the sub-dial,
in addition to via the numerical keys.
o In MENU-CONFIG to change a value on a selected line, no need any more to press ENT before
turning the sub-dial.
o AUT1 mode: When CTCSS or DCS is set, long press on SQL now allows monitoring.

There is a spelling mistake in the documentation with the CRL Key. Should be CLR Key.

Hope this helps.

Dave

marvintpa

Hello All, Have been lurking on this forum for a long time but finally registered and had to chip in on this subject.

Shortcuts were added a long time back, they are really easy.

Ease of use (since v.1912A BETA)
o Faster way to set a PASS frequency during SEARCH: Press the CRL key.
o Faster way to toggle PASS frequencies ON/OFF during MEMCH: Press the CRL key.
o Faster way to toggle between MEMCH and SCAN functions: Press the [.] key.
o The SEARCH GROUP NUMBER and SCAN GROUP NUMBER can now also be set via the sub-dial,
in addition to via the numerical keys.
o In MENU-CONFIG to change a value on a selected line, no need any more to press ENT before
turning the sub-dial.
o AUT1 mode: When CTCSS or DCS is set, long press on SQL now allows monitoring.

There is a spelling mistake in the documentation with the CRL Key. Should be CLR Key.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Just to clarify my comment was for the DV10 not the DV1. Details are in a separate document to the manual 100kHz-1300MHz, Digital Receiver, Handheld Type, Operating manual addendum (308kB)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.