Bell Fleatnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWarlock

In theory how many talk groups can program into a radio for bell Fleatnet. Also would one be able to hear let say for example talk group 8640 (Orillia & Severn Township 1M - 1OPS37) if they were with the radio in downtown Toronto or does the radio have to be in the Orillia & Severn Township area to hit a local tower.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The radio needs to be in the same area. It's highly unlikely Bell would allow a radio to listen to the Orillia area while in Toronto.

As for your first question, nobody can answer that without you being more specific on what the make and model of the radio is.

agarrett973

Also depends on your radio. radios capable of only analog likely max out near 15 or 16 where some of the newer equipment that can handle both digital and analog can be programmed for up to 255 talk groups per radio.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Hm? Even analog radios that are 15+ years old are capable of 255 or more modes. Not sure which you're referring to?

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Also depends on your radio. radios capable of only analog likely max out near 15 or 16 where some of the newer equipment that can handle both digital and analog can be programmed for up to 255 talk groups per radio.

Not sure where you got this information from but it's wrong.

The MTS2000 which must be 20 years old by now could do 255 channels.

Newer equipment such as the APX7000 can do thousands of channels.

agarrett973

Not sure where you got this information from but it's wrong.

The MTS2000 which must be 20 years old by now could do 255 channels.

Newer equipment such as the APX7000 can do thousands of channels.
And devices like the mtx850 which is also 20 years old max out at 16 talk groups, where the xts series model 2 or 3 or similar devices can take 255. So next time you want publicly say someone is wrong you best know what your talking about. These are devices I see first hand on a daily bases used on fleet net. I also never said that 255 was the max.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
These are devices I see first hand on a daily bases used on fleet net.

Actually, you don't. I think you missed which forum you were posting in.

Since this is the Ontario forum, we're talking about a VHF system. Pretty sure the MTX850 is an 800MHz radio only. Won't ever see that on Fleetnet in Ontario.

mciupa

Actually, you don't. I think you missed which forum you were posting in.

Since this is the Ontario forum, we're talking about a VHF system. Pretty sure the MTX850 is an 800MHz radio only. Won't ever see that on Fleetnet in Ontario.

The "other FleetNet" just happens to be Manitoba's MTS FleetNet which by coincidence is 800 MHz.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Nopefully we didn't scare The Warlock off.

As I said before, we really need to know what type of radio he's asking about.

These radios can do 1 channel to thousands of channels independent of whether it's an analog or analog/digital radio.

TheWarlock

No real model in particular. I just know fleetnet has a ton of talkgroups. I was wondering how there actual radios work. Say if Orillia OPP had to come to toronto would they still be able to monitor there dispatch or I guess they would charge to their local area Toronto if they had to drive down there. would it be fair to assume that there radios are programed with every talkgroup?

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
No, they cannot monitor their own dispatch. There's really no need to and it would just tie up a channel on the Toronto towers.

They would either switch to a local Toronto talkgroup or one of the Wide Area talkgroups.

At the very least, their older radios would have 255 channels which I think would cover every OPP talkgroup. Not sure, I've never added them all up.

TheWarlock

That would make sense. Thanks Mike.

No, they cannot monitor their own dispatch. There's really no need to and it would just tie up a channel on the Toronto towers.

They would either switch to a local Toronto talkgroup or one of the Wide Area talkgroups.

At the very least, their older radios would have 255 channels which I think would cover every OPP talkgroup. Not sure, I've never added them all up.

TheWarlock

So I just acquired a X TS 3000 for fleatnet I am getting it programmed in the coming days. It's currently programmed for OPP Towers in Hamilton. I live in Mississauga. For the GTA OPP should I program it to monitor the Toronto tower or Mississauga (Britannia) Tower. Just want to thank the RR Community for all their help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RainbowSix

Premium Subscriber
I would program in Britannia, mowat and king city towers to cover the GTA. If you travel outside of the GTA then you may consider other towers too.

TheWarlock

I would program in Britannia, mowat and king city towers to cover the GTA. If you travel outside of the GTA then you may consider other towers too.

I appreciate the advice. How do you find the coverage of the system in the GTA? I would hope it would be a strong signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.