Best BCD436HP Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobFam

I have a BCD436HP. I want to get a better antenna than the stock antenna. I want an SMA type antenna, not BNC.

I listen mainly to 48-500 Mhz.

Some of the antennas I have seen are:

Diamond SRH77CA
Austin Condor
Watson WSMA 881
Diamond SRA 789 SMA

What are your recommendations? Price is not a matter, I want the best performance.

Thanks, Bob.

ScubaJungle

For mobile use - I find the Diamond RH789 to be great, although the lankiness causes it to fall over often.
If you're using it at home, I recommend trying the RTL-SDR Blog V3 telescopic dipole - the coax has an SMA connector (which is small and flexible and great for the connector), and this little antenna blows away any handheld antenna, and its only $15.
Amazon.com: RTL-SDR Blog Multipurpose Dipole Antenna Kit: Home Audio & Theater

BobFam

Thanks. I should have noted that I want a handheld antenna. I looked at it. I see in the reviews that the quality control is lacking (poor threads, etc.) My shack is not close to a window for the suction cup adapter. Bob.

BobFam

Does anyone have any thoughts on the antennas listed in my post? I sure want a better antenna than the one supplied with the radio. Bob.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD436HP. I want to get a better antenna than the stock antenna. I want an SMA type antenna, not BNC.

Diamond SRH77CA
Austin Condor
Watson WSMA 881
Diamond SRA 789 SMA

What are your recommendations? Price is not a matter, I want the best performance.

Thanks, Bob.

I don't know of any antennas suitable for a hand held that would perform well at 48MHz. If there was one if would be long and clumsy and risk putting too much strain on the SMA connector.

BobFam

Thanks. The 48 Mhz is for CHP which come in well enough on the stock antenna.The A/C, amateur, military band and 400-500 are mostly scanned. Any suggestions about the above antennas for these frequencies? Bob.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. The 48 Mhz is for CHP which come in well enough on the stock antenna.The A/C, amateur, military band and 400-500 are mostly scanned. Any suggestions about the above antennas for these frequencies? Bob.

From the ones you listed I would definitely go with the Diamond SRH77CA. Over many years I have always used the Diamond RH77CA (BNC equivalent) antenna for anything other than 700-800MHz. It performs awesome on VHF and pretty well on UHF. I used it mostly for VHF commercial aircraft and UHF MilAir. It's OK for 700-800MHz but for that work I go with Radio Shack's RS-800 or Remtronix equivalent REM-800B, which for your radio with SMA would be REM-800S replaced by the REM-810S.

If stock antenna works well enough for 48MHz CHP than the SRH77CA would be an improvement and possibly all you'd need.

Bob1955

Diamond SRH77CA
Austin Condor
Watson WSMA 881
Diamond SRA 789 SMA

Thanks, Bob.
BobFam, with out a doubt, GET the Diamond SRH77CA. The Austin Condor is WAY over-priced and the Diamond is MUCH better anyhow for 48-500Mhz. You can purchase this above mentioned antenna from Amazon.com
Hope this finalizes your decision.

Bob

BobFam

Thanks. I have been reluctant to buy it over the Internet. I have heard many stories of Chinese phony antennas.

Scannermaster and Zipscanners don't carry it. Do you know of a guaranteed source for the real Diamond SRH77CA? I understand it has the right SMA connection for the BCD436HP without an adapter.

Bob.

crevatis

Smiley 27006. I have both that and the SRH77CA. The smiley is the same or slightly better on UHF and way better than the diamond on VHF. It also collapses to slightly smaller than the stock antenna, making it it more portable when not in use.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I have both the Diamond SRH77CA and the Austin Condor for my BCD436HP. In my experience, the Austin Condor did not perform any better than the stock antenna. It is bulky and top heavy. I can't recommend it.

The Diamond SRH77CA is definitely better than the stock antenna and would probably work well for your application. It is a long antenna, but not bulky or top heavy. I purchased it from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K1JJWFO/ and it is genuine.

I couldn't tell if you're looking for an antenna to use for carrying around or to just sit stationary. The Diamond is pretty long to be carried around. I have a Nagoya NA-701 for carrying around, which offers good performance without being too bulky.

I do not listen to VHF Lo, so I can't comment on the performance in that band. I don't know if the CHP has this, but when listening to the Maryland State Police, they have simulcast channels on various 800 MHz systems.

BobFam

I have both the Diamond SRH77CA and the Austin Condor for my BCD436HP. In my experience, the Austin Condor did not perform any better than the stock antenna. It is bulky and top heavy. I can't recommend it.

The Diamond SRH77CA is definitely better than the stock antenna and would probably work well for your application. It is a long antenna, but not bulky or top heavy. I purchased it from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K1JJWFO/ and it is genuine.

I couldn't tell if you're looking for an antenna to use for carrying around or to just sit stationary. The Diamond is pretty long to be carried around. I have a Nagoya NA-701 for carrying around, which offers good performance without being too bulky.

I do not listen to VHF Lo, so I can't comment on the performance in that band. I don't know if the CHP has this, but when listening to the Maryland State Police, they have simulcast channels on various 800 MHz systems.
Thanks for the info. I am going to get the Diamond SRH77CA. Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.