• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best radio recommendation for hiking in the mountains? VX-6R?

KK6HRW

1. FRS, these are great to hand out to people in a group setting and ideally are able to be locked so they stay on the same channel. Premium option is something like the Rocky Talkie, which are cheaper and better than the BCA Link.
What tends to make the Rocky Talkie a standout? Also, many FRS radios advertise a transmitter power of two (2) watts, but, with their fixed antennas, I would think it difficult to actually measure the output.

bill4long

Welcome.

There's a lot of details you need to consider before purchasing any radio.

The #1 issue I see here is that you seem to be interested in purchasing an amateur (ham) radio, but talk about using FRS radios. You also posted this on the FRS/GMRS/MURS section.

The Yaesu radio, and just about any other ham radio on the market is design to be used ONLY on amateur radio frequencies. FRS and GMRS are not amateur radio frequencies.
The FCC requires type certification of radios used in almost all radio services -except- ham radio. FRS, GMRS And MURS radios require FCC Part 95 certification to be legal to use. The type certification ensures that the radio meets the requirements of the specific radio service it is intended for.

The Yaesu and other ham radios do NOT meet these requirements and do NOT have the necessary FCC type certification. They are not legal to use on FRS or GMRS (or any other radio service, except ham).

The ham radios will also not let you transmit on FRS/GMRS frequencies by design. You would be able to receive, but it won't let you transmit. You ~may~ hear some tell you that some radios can be modified to allow transmit on these bands. That violates the FCC rules, and doesn't resolve some of the other technical issues that would need to be addressed for it to work properly.

If all you need is FRS/GMRS, there are better radios on the market. A radio with a better antenna can help coverage a whole bunch.
If you need access to amateur radio systems, have an amateur radio license, and are looking for a suitable radio, you'd do better with a dedicated amateur radio.

Generally it comes down to figuring out exactly what you need and purchasing the correct radio. The Yaesu isn't the right one.

Give us some more details and we can help point you in the right direction.

At the end of the day, what does it matter out in the bush?
I had purchased BCA bc link™ two-way radio 2.0 from REI.

My primary purpose was to be able to talk to other team members while hiking. After a recent hiking trip in Colorado, i was not too impressed with the performance and started doing some search and came across HAM radios.

After doing some research, i have found the best available option that money can buy would be Yaesu VX-6R. I am mainly looking for 1) range 2) can be used in a rugged environment

Would there be a better radio out there which i should consider? Just want to make sure that I have looked at all the options.

I am new to this and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

How far away from civilization would will you be? If you're gonna be way out in the boonies, I would get any radio you want and put it on MURS channel 1. Or FRS. Or GMRS. It won't matter at all. Have a good trip.

KF7GQY

What tends to make the Rocky Talkie a standout? Also, many FRS radios advertise a transmitter power of two (2) watts, but, with their fixed antennas, I would think it difficult to actually measure the output.
You can remove the antenna for testing. It is a standard SMA Female connector on the radio.

KK6HRW

You can remove the antenna for testing. It is a standard SMA Female connector on the radio.
What radio are you referring to (I thought ‘FRS only’ radios could not have an easily removable antenna)?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What radio are you referring to (I thought ‘FRS only’ radios could not have an easily removable antenna)?

I was looking at this, also.
I ran the FCC ID for the current and previous models.
The current model has the "spring in a tube" type antenna used on most FRS radios.
The original/first model was sold as an "FRS" radio, however the FCC type acceptance documents seem to show it had an antenna jack, although it's not entirely clear.

I've found that some manufacturers do not care about the FCC requirements.
I've found that some manufacturers will submit for one type acceptance, and then ship something else.
I've found that the FCC sometimes misses things.

Might just be a marketing screw up. Should have been marketed as GMRS, but someone figured they'd get more sales if they could claim "no license required".

Doesn't really matter though.

Usually the FCC OET looks at the ERP of the radio, and not so much TPO. Most of these lower tier radios have no where near the ERP they claim to have.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Why wasn't CB considered here. 5 watts, AM/FM, removable antennas etc....

Thanks
Joel

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Why wasn't CB considered here. 5 watts, AM/FM, removable antennas etc....
Thirty years too late.
Handheld CB's were never very good. Any remotely effective antenna was unwieldly. The asshat factor is extremely high and "5 watts" is the maximum input power to the final RF stage with the output capped at 4 watts.

The days of REACT monitors are long gone and the likelihood of anyone hearing, let alone, answering, an emergency call is pretty low.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
OK, if everyone is willing to get their amateur radio license (it's not hard), then that is probably your best choice.

I think you pay $35 for 10 years and renewals are currently free. There are online courses you can take that will teach you the information you need to know to pass the test.
Amateur radio will do what you need, plus it will give you the option to talk to others if you so decide. Accessing repeaters can be handy if you are in range of one, it'll greatly increase your coverage, but they do not cover every inch of the country, especially out here in the west.

Other option would be to get some MURS radios. These don't require you taking a test to get a license. You don't need to pay for a license, either. FCC calls it "License by Rule", which translates into "If you follow the rules, you are good to go".
MURS is only legal to use in the USA, but that doesn't sound like an issue for you.
It uses 5 VHF channels, and VHF tends to work well in more rugged terrain.
It's limited to 2 watts, but don't get hung up on that. Transmitter power output doesn't impact range as much as you would think. Very little difference between a 2 watt MURS radio and a 5-6 watt ham radio.
Benefit is that since there is no license required, you can hand them to anyone and you're good to go.

Icom makes some really nice MURS radios:

One other HUGE benefit to MURS:
The radios are simple to use. On/Off/Volume control and a channel selector. Channels are already programmed, so it is essentially a case of charging the batteries, turning the radios on, setting them all to the same channel, and you are done.
One of the biggest issues I see with many new users to ham radio is that it is really easy to bump the controls on a ham radio and end up not being able to communicate. The complexity of the ham radios is great if you are into the technical side of it, but its a pain in the rear when you just want to talk to someone. Fumbling around with tiny keys on a radio and trying to read an LCD screen in the bright sunlight will frustrate many users, and getting off into a corner of the radio where you can no longer communicate can be a safety risk.

It would be up to you to decide how much technical stuff you want to get involved in. Ham radio is great, but it's complex. It's designed that way for experimenters and enthusiasts. For someone who just wants to talk to another person, something like MURS can be a much better choice.

In my career, I have to set up a lot of radios for users that are not "radio people". I learned quickly to make sure the radios are set up as simply as possible. It makes for a much better user experience, and less trouble calls….

If tech is your thing and you really want to get into the hobby, then ham radio is a great option. It has a steep learning curve, and that is a problem for some. Nothing wrong with that, but the frustration it creates is something to consider.

Being able to talk to others via ham radio can be interesting for some. It's part of the hobby that many enjoy. From a high mountain, you could talk to others hundreds of miles away easily.

The Yaesu's may be a good choice if that's the direction you want to go. Yaesu is a well respected company, and you'll get lots of good support. Their radios are pretty durable and will likely work well for what you want.

Only other thing you'd want to consider is making sure you can keep the radios running if you are out for a long time. Charging batteries in the field can be hard to do. The more complex a radio is, the more power it will use, the more batteries it will eat. A radio with a dead battery doesn't do anyone any good. Carrying spare batteries is an option, but consider the additional weight. Solar chargers may let you charge a spare set while you are hiking. The Yaesu gives you the option of using AA alkaline cells in a separate battery case, which can be beneficial.

So, it really sounds to me like there are two options for you:
Ham radio, a lot of flexibility, a lot of options, the option of talking to others out side your group. Downside is requiring each individual to be licensed, and the complexity of the radios.

MURS, less flexibility, less options, but will do exactly what you need. Not likely to hear or be able to talk to others outside your group. Upside is the radios are much simpler to use and no licensing required.

Also, since I'm sure someone will bring it up:
A lot of people get into amateur radio for "emergencies". The idea that you can raise someone from just about anywhere and get help.
That's certainly an option and does happen frequently.
Just keep in mind, ham radio is a hobby, and there is zero requirements that anyone be listening. There are zero requirements that even if someone is listening, that they'll help you out. You are dealing with hobbyists, not professionals.
The Garmin is the right device for your emergency needs. The radios are for the convenience, either MURS or ham.
Yaesu radios are great, I have several of them. But to the uninitiated in the use of Yaesu radios, it would be prudent to keep a copy of the operation/programming manual handy when you're out and about on a mountain top.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yaesu radios are great, I have several of them. But to the uninitiated in the use of Yaesu radios, it would be prudent to keep a copy of the operation/programming manual handy when you're out and about on a mountain top.

Good point.

One of the benefits I found of using commercial radios was that I could lock them down to the minimum amount of functions that were absolutely needed. There's a lot to be said for a radio like an HT-1000. On/Off Volume, Push to talk, release to listen. Maybe a few channels, or set them all up on one. Makes it much easier for the uninitiated to use, less chances of getting off into some obscure menu setting, easy to operate with gloves on.

I did my time with complex ham radios, I found that I rarely need that level of complexity in the field.

AK_SAR

As a long time member of volunteer wilderness SAR teams in Alaska, I've had a fair bit of experience with VHF handhelds in rugged mountains. In my experience, in the real world the limiting factor on range is almost always the terrain, rather than how many watts you are pushing. If you have any significant terrain (ridges, hills, peaks, etc) between you and the other party, you will have problems communicating irrespective of what radio you use. Adding a few more watts might help a little. But moving to a location with a better line of sight will often make a huge difference. Usually that means getting higher (in the elevation sense of the term :) ) Sometimes only moving only a few feet is all it takes. Others have discussed various good radio options for comms within your group, but terrain and line of sight will more likely be the limiting factor, rather than what type or model radio you use.

For calling for help in emergencies, radio is generally a poor choice in the mountains. First off, you need to be able to reach someone, who is presumably even further away (with more intervening terrain) than the rest of your group. Secondly, that someone needs to be listening on the correct channel, and be willing and able to assist you. If you have cell service, calling 911 should generally be your first choice. If possible, make a voice call to 911, rather than text. (Eventually all 911 PSAPs are supposed to be able to receive texts, but many do not yet have this capability.) If you are outside of cell coverage, then a Garmin InReach or similar device is your best bet. InReach does require a subscription, but the basic "Safety Plan" is only $15/month. Garmin has achieved an impressive successful track record of responding to SOS calls. See Data Insights from 10,000 Garmin inReach SOS Incidents | Blog

EDIT: Note that when satellite devices call for a "clear view of the sky" they mean no mountains or hills in the way. It doesn't matter if the sky is cloudy or not.

Last edited:

KK6HRW

As a long time member of volunteer wilderness SAR teams in Alaska, I've had a fair bit of experience with VHF handhelds in rugged mountains. In my experience, in the real world the limiting factor on range is almost always the terrain, rather than how many watts you are pushing. If you have any significant terrain (ridges, hills, peaks, etc) between you and the other party, you will have problems communicating irrespective of what radio you use. Adding a few more watts might help a little. But moving to a location with a better line of sight will often make a huge difference. Usually that means getting higher (in the elevation sense of the term :) ) Sometimes only moving only a few feet is all it takes. Others have discussed various good radio options for comms within your group, but terrain and line of sight will more likely be the limiting factor, rather than what type or model radio you use.

For calling for help in emergencies, radio is generally a poor choice in the mountains. First off, you need to be able to reach someone, who is presumably even further away (with more intervening terrain) than the rest of your group. Secondly, that someone needs to be listening on the correct channel, and be willing and able to assist you. If you have cell service, calling 911 should generally be your first choice. If possible, make a voice call to 911, rather than text. (Eventually all 911 PSAPs are supposed to be able to receive texts, but many do not yet have this capability.) If you are outside of cell coverage, then a Garmin InReach or similar device is your best bet. InReach does require a subscription, but the basic "Safety Plan" is only $15/month. Garmin has achieved an impressive successful track record of responding to SOS calls. See Data Insights from 10,000 Garmin inReach SOS Incidents | Blog

EDIT: Note that when satellite devices call for a "clear view of the sky" they mean no mountains or hills in the way. It doesn't matter if the sky is cloudy or not.
If the Garmin inReach ‘Safety Plan’ is purchased on an annual basis it is even cheaper: $11.95 per month. However, if that is still too much, consider a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). There are no monthly charges for a PLB, and, even though they may only be used for emergency notifications, the newest units offer Return Link Service (RLS). RLS will confirm to the user that the SOS Message has, in fact, been received.

AK_SAR

If the Garmin inReach ‘Safety Plan’ is purchased on an annual basis it is even cheaper: $11.95 per month. However, if that is still too much, consider a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). There are no monthly charges for a PLB, and, even though they may only be used for emergency notifications, the newest units offer Return Link Service (RLS). RLS will confirm to the user that the SOS Message has, in fact, been received.
Ooops, you're right. I just got my Garmin invoice, and the Safety Plan is only $11.95. I must have been thinking of another subscription I have when I said 15. And totally agree about the PLB. They are a good choice if for any reason you don't want a two way messaging device like InReach.

Also note that the newest iPhones have an emergency satellite SOS capability. There have been several successful rescues of people using it. My big concern is that Apple is very new at this game. It will be good to see how their long term track record works out?

pcunite

My wife and I are frequent hikers, taking about 40 trips last year. I highly recommend the Yaesu VX-6R. I do have the FT3D, and its a full featured radio for sure, but just does not have the feel of the magnesium cased VX6R which also has gasketed seals where you need them, like the mic port. Its an old radio design, so yeah, needs to be updated. But for coms within your group and reaching out to a repeater (if you can hit them), its great.

As far as APRS goes, if you're not with a group, maybe better to get a TNC and hook that up in an emergency anyway. APRS just does not have coverage where I'm at. See my thread about using HF to get around that. HF is what you need for reaching outside of the deep works. VHF & UHF is for local coms.