Best Scanner Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvester

Premium Subscriber
Hi, can someone please recommend the best scanner software for my BCD 396XT . I don't really care if it's free or paid software as long as it works best with my particular unit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harvester

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Software

Hi, can someone please recommend the best scanner software for my BCD 396XT . I don't really care if it's free or paid software as long as it works best with my particular unit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harvester

ARC XT works good but why not try FREESCAN and see if it works for you. Beats paying for ARC XT and not liking it then going to FREESCAN. Personally, I use ARC XT, ARC 996, FREESCAN, and PROSCAN. Each to me has their own uses.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
ARC XT works good but why not try FREESCAN and see if it works for you. Beats paying for ARC XT and not liking it then going to FREESCAN. Personally, I use ARC XT, ARC 996, FREESCAN, and PROSCAN. Each to me has their own uses.

Gotta go with this response. I do believe all of the paid software gives you a trial period to
try out the software. However Freescan has pretty much all of the features of the paid software and it is Free. I would try Freescan first and then download trials of the paid software and see which you like best.
I would say that as much time and effort that Assaf has put into Freescan if you find that you like it the best maybe consider donating a few dollars in appreciation.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
ARC XT PRO by far the best.

TT.

And I would be suspicious of anyone who only recommends one piece of
software. Usually there is an ulterior motive why they push one software over
any other.
Give' em all a try and find out which one YOU like best! :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another point to consider here - you lose nothing by trying the freeware FreeScan. When you're ready you can move to one of the others just by dumping your scanner contents.

Oh, and by the way, as of version .9K, FreeScan now does audio recording. But as others have said, don't be afraid to try the others too. I'm sure they both have trial periods 73 Mike

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Long time Butel user here, but Freescan has moved to the top of my list for programming all my Uniden scanners. Matter of choice for everyone. Try them all!

wireless_friendly

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ProScan is the best software for Uniden. It includes perfect logging, recording and remote monitoring features. I like it and use 24 hr due the 2 past years.

JPSan

I whole heartedly agree with wireless friendly on ProScan. I have tried a number of free and pay type of programs for the Uniden Digital scanners and found myself always being drawn back to ProScan. There are a number of reasons why I found it my favorite. One thing was the fact I could use it to program my BC-780's !!! The program creator is very responsive to questions. There will a update soon to add new features soon. Using it on a HP Win 7 laptop and it just works great and does what I need it to do,
It will program BC-15, 250, 296 ,330 ,346, 396, 996, 780, 785 and 796 series Uniden products.
I like it, I bought it after 3 weeks of free evaluation and don't regret it. Oh, it was the quickest and painless program to find and connect to my Comm ports (USB), WITH OUT an issue. Nice interface. Records audio, does LOGGING, can be a audio server and more.

I recommend it CAUSE it WORKS and NO OTHER reason, IT WORKS for me.

Give it a test drive....ProScan

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
ProScan is the best software for Uniden. It includes perfect logging, recording and remote monitoring features. I like it and use 24 hr due the 2 past years.

I whole heartedly agree with wireless friendly on ProScan. I have tried a number of free and pay type of programs for the Uniden Digital scanners and found myself always being drawn back to ProScan. There area number of reasons why I found it my favorite. One thing was the fact I could use it to program my BC-780's !!! The program creator is very responsive to questions. There will a update soon to add new features soon. Using it on a HP Win 7 laptop and it just works great and does what I need it to do,
It will program BC-15, 250, 296 ,330 ,346, 396, 996, 780, 785 and 796 series Uniden products.
I like it, I bought it after 3 weeks of free evaluation and don't regret it. Oh, it was the quickest and painless program to find and connect to my Comm ports (USB), WITH OUT an issue. Nice interface.

Once again I repeat:

And I would be suspicious of anyone who only recommends one piece of
any other.
Give' em all a try and find out which one YOU like best! :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR]

JPSan

Once again I repeat:

Buddy,

Question WAS ASKED....He WANTED SUGGESTIONS...WE gave answers...Then you had inject with...A REPEATED..."And I would be suspicious of anyone who only recommends one piece of
any other." HUH? What did he say??

That is HARSH!!!! Then by YOUR LOGIC anyone who says I have a Uniden has specific"MOTIVES", I have a GRE product has specific "MOTIVES" ...Anyone POSTING anything , SPECIFIC, has an reason to say what they use or what ever is motivated by prejudice of specific products, etc. Analyze that answer,
carefully "ULTERIOR MOTIVES" at work. beware!
Your comment is JUST ridiculous. Get real.

What is the purpose of ASKING and ANSWERING such questions? TO get INPUT as to who is using what and WHY!

By your LOGIC, theses forums should be devoid of any comments or recommendations by any one with any specific product answer. BECAUSE there is a " ULTERIOR MOTIVE"? GET REAL!!

As a "moderator" in your specific area of "knowledge" WHAT is YOUR MOTIVE??? What are you "really"
pushing as your agenda? Hmmmm..

Again, your comment was just LAME and really uncalled for. People ARE smart enough to TEST and DECIDE for themselves what and how they will decide what works for them. With out Your comments, LAME! Sorry.

Okay, moderator, WHY, WHAT are my motives for ANSWERING this ASKED question??? Tell me my specific motives?? PLEASE answer me what are MY "ULTERIOR MOTIVES" ??..

Sorry, your comment, RIDICULOUS.... You OPENED this up with YOUR comments. PLEASE answer me....MY SPECIFIC, EVIL and "ULTERIOR MOTIVE for recommending ProScan ?

K7CAR

I would agree with the above post and the use of ProScan, I've tried at least 8-10 different software control programs and always go back to ProScan. Each has it's high and low points. Try each one out and see what you like. FreeScan is an excellent program and may be all that you need to start. If you want additional features you'll have to pay for them.

someone2000

Once again I repeat:

KE4ZNR,

I think this is showing bad faith on your part, to consider folks guilty until proven innocent. This is especially concerning since we (all? most?) pay for our access. If you think a member is "trolling" or "spamming", just ignore them first time around. But to just slap people in public just asks for either hurt feelings or more unwanted attention being drawn to the "offending" post.

Take a step back from the reply button for a minute when you're considering slamming folks. Assume good faith. :)

LoKo498

Is there anyway to hear the tranmissions from the police on the internet, I know my city is now digital.
Sorry but im a nubie here.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
I whole heartedly agree with wireless friendly on ProScan. I have tried a number of free and pay type of programs for the Uniden Digital scanners and found myself always being drawn back to ProScan. There are a number of reasons why I found it my favorite. One thing was the fact I could use it to program my BC-780's !!! The program creator is very responsive to questions. There will a update soon to add new features soon. Using it on a HP Win 7 laptop and it just works great and does what I need it to do,
I like it, I bought it after 3 weeks of free evaluation and don't regret it. Oh, it was the quickest and painless program to find and connect to my Comm ports (USB), WITH OUT an issue. Nice interface. Records audio, does LOGGING, can be a audio server and more.

I recommend it CAUSE it WORKS and NO OTHER reason, IT WORKS for me.

Based on your glowing report above, I just downloaded ProScan and it promptly froze up my Windows 7 Hi Performance Dell Laptop. Tied twice, too bad, even looked into their forum and didn't find anything, so I'm not going to waste any more time.
:evil:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Bob is active on this forum, and you should register on his forums and ask as well. Don't give up so easily - learn to dig a little. Maybe another Win7 user can help out 73 Mike

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Based on your glowing report above, I just downloaded ProScan and it promptly froze up my Windows 7 Hi Performance Dell Laptop. Tied twice, too bad, even looked into their forum and didn't find anything, so I'm not going to waste any more time.
:evil:

Are you running Win. 7 32 or 64 bit?

Does it crash during the program load process or at some other point in time such as when ProScan attempts to communicate with the scanner?

I would first check that you have all the current Microsoft Windows updates installed.

If you have some time, I would like to try to figure this out. It's always best with email as I like to send debug versions out over a period of a few hours to a few days to narrow these things down.

Status
Not open for further replies.