Biking with a handheld scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caboosey

Anyone go biking (not motorcycles) with a handheld scanner?

Whats the best place to have the scanner? Do you ever have cops stop you and ask what are you doing?

So far I have started biking around with my scanner clipped to me and with a single ear piece.

w0fg

The Sunlite Messenger bag that straps behind the seat of my CLWB recumbent has mesh pockets on either side that are just right for holding a radio and a Blackberry. Why would the police care unless you were running stop signs and making unsafe right-side passes like many bicyclists?

Drafin

I don't bike but I hike some and when I take the scanner I put it in a fanny pack with dual side zippers with it zipped to both sides of the antenna.

When I hike with my full pack or my day pack they both have plenty of places for the scanner/gps and the like.

Draf

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have done this for a while. I typically take my Yaesu VR-500 because it's small. I clip it to my shorts right above my derriere. That way, the scanner doesn't flop to and fro when I pedal, and the whip antenna goes straight up my back, outside of my shirt, unobtrusive. I also use a mono earbud.

I usually just scan the local freqs of my city, so I don't need to see the display.

I do have a RAM mount with an adapter for my Garmin GPS III+; one of these days I should find/get a universal scanner adapter mount.

Caboosey

The Sunlite Messenger bag that straps behind the seat of my CLWB recumbent has mesh pockets on either side that are just right for holding a radio and a Blackberry. Why would the police care unless you were running stop signs and making unsafe right-side passes like many bicyclists?

No, just wondering if anyone ever get asked/stopped about having a scanner on you and listening while biking.

I go biking to the top of mountains and see what I can pick up. :lol:

k9rzz

Just stuff it in a jersey pocket. Cops don't care. They'd have no problem catching 'ya if you done wrong. LOL

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
I really like to put my scanner in a handlebar bag. That way it's up front and I can see and hear it in the wind. I also dont have to use a ear bud. The bag gives the radio some cushion so road vibration is less on radio.

guitarbrian30

I have a hand held radio case. the kind that attaches to a wide belt. I secure it to the handle bar and run the cord along the top bar of the bike and then attach it to a single ear phone. Works well. Or I just attach it to me on my lower back and run the cords up through the back of my shirt. Depends if I have to jump off my cycle while in pursuit of some thugs. Just kidding. Do not need to grab any wires when you are off roading! Of course you can get a rear luggage rack for your ride and put everything in the trunk just like a squad car.

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
I put my scanner (usually the BCD396T) in my backpack, pocket, or on my belt and use a BlueAnt Z9 Bluetooth Headset. I have a Cardo BTA II bluetooth adapter which I plug into a 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo headphone adapter, and then into the scanner. Works great. Volume control and auto battery saver on the headset keep it working quite a while. Just gotta remember to keep everything else charged up.

Last edited:

n5ims

Here's one guy that has an HF bicycle mobile setup that he uses for CW (morse code). Although your setup won't need to be anywhere that complex, it should give you some ideas on how to mount your system.

http://www.merit.edu/~rjd/bike_cw.html

Last edited:

KD0NDO

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.0176/742; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Never ride my bike with out one. I have one of those things u put ona can of pop to keep it cold in the cup holder in which i place my scanner or pager. Also i have a small speaker mounted on the back bike rack if i ever need it loud. The wire is routed to the cup holder and all is good. Maby later i will put up a feew pics

rescuecomm

I usually carry an Icom F43GS (GMRS/Law enf) if my son is around town or an F33GS (Fire/Rescue) otherwise on my belt along with my cell phone. The antenna gets switched to a stubby duck for convienence of carry. I have one of those small waist pouches that is just large enough for a small pistol and spare magazine too. I really scratched up the front of a Motorola HT750 by crashing and rolling over the radio on the pavement. If it is a real valued possession, maybe you should get something cheaper. The cops in town sometimes give me a double take when they see this grey haired old fart on a bicycle.

Bob

slicerwizard

Anyone go biking (not motorcycles) with a handheld scanner?
Yep.

Whats the best place to have the scanner?
That's for you to determine.

I use a section of two inch diameter rubber radiator hose mounted to the handlebar support with a couple of hose clamps. It provides shock reduction and puts the radio where I can see the display. Radio belt clips grab the hose firmly; haven't lost one yet.

Do you ever have cops stop you and ask what are you doing?
Never.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Two of my favorite hobbies; cycling and scanning.

I keep my scanner in my handlebar bag, running earphones to just one ear.

When I ride Chicago's lakefront trail, I always keep it in close call mode; I'm always finding something new and exciting.

HillWalker

I usually cycle alot, but generally just put it in my inner coat pocket and use a single D-shape ear piece over one ear. Obviously you'll have to pay more attention to traffic to make up for the limited hearing in one ear and try not to be distracted, a low volume helps.

jeffy

bike/scanner

I ride 3 recumbents (Rans Rocket, long wheel base Sun and a Sun delta trike)... I plan on rigging up a way to use my Pro 60 scanner. With the Pro 60 I have imo the advantage of being able to scan and listen to FM stations... especially bluegrass music on Sat. and Sun. I had been looking on the net for bicycle radios and wasn't too impressed with what I was finding when it hit me to use the Pro 60. I wish they'd start including AM/FM on nearly all scanners. One unit to do it all works for me.

jeff

commscanaus

Biking and scanning go so well together!
Find a nice challenging hill, bike to the top and have a scan around to see what can be heard while you catch your breath!

Used to have an antenna mounted to the rear of the bike and a home brew radio mount on the handlebars back in the 90's. Even went so far as to mount a 7Ah gel cell motorcycle battery under the seat.
That setup worked brilliantly. But nowadays I prefer to keep it simple and stealthy.

Always take my 396T along for the ride. Close Call is great if attending an event or in an unfamiliar area.
It is strapped to my waist in a belt bag (or fanny pack) which is a Radioshack branded item.
Bought two of them for next to nothing when portable CD players fell out of fashion and now I carry one everywhere. It has even saved the 396T from being damaged when I came off the bike onto concrete recently!

Here is my simple setup, 396T in belt bag with a Comet SMA- 3 antenna and Sennheiser ear buds (use only the left one when riding).

You see so much more on a bike than you ever would in a car!
Love to try out a recumbent one day.

Commscanaus.

Attachments

• Belt Bag 2.JPG
    Belt Bag 2.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 395
  • Belt Bag 3.JPG
    Belt Bag 3.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 397

jeffy

scanning/biking

As I stated above I plan to use my Pro-60 for my bike in part because of its FM radio capabilities. What I'd like to get eventually is a scanner with AM/FM capabilities for one of my other bikes. I've looked at a couple of scanners - the Yupiteru 7200 and the Icom RX-7. Any opinions on either unit? I'm mostly concerned with the ability to pick up AM stations. Soon I need to set down an figure myself up a rack or scanner holder for the Pro 60. I plan on using it on my long wheeled recumbent bike.

jeff

dnoyeb

I plan to have a scanner on the 50mi ride coming up here in Michigan. Is it worth it to have an external antenna mounted to the back, or is the antenna that comes with the Scanner enough? Is it important to keep the scanner/antenna upright? Is it important to be able to hit the buttons on the scanner to follow conversations? Or will I be able to put it into the "trunk" of my bike?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.