Black & white vs solid color

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyledad

Bethany PD is buying black & white units because they are cheaper than solid color.

OHP is buying solid color units because they are cheaper than black & white.

Was it the decals that made Bethany's scheme expensive? Or a difference between Ford and Dodge pricing?

Or none of the above?

N

N_Jay

I would guess that B&W are cheaper then a solid custom color and more expensive than a solid standard color.

But just guessing.

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
Colors

I believe it was Bethany's decals that cost a lot being multi color. I remember when UCO PD and Stillwater PD switched to solid color based solely on cost.

The thing that costs OHP so much is the "fin" they have to put on their paint scheme over the rear wheel.

n5bew1

I thought OHP units had to be black and white by law. Probably so they'd give a speeding state senator an even chance to see them and slow down.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
I was disappointed to see the B&W cars showing up. I think the all-white look a lot nicer! (But then I don't speed so don't need to be able to spot them clearly...! ;) )

I never understood the "cheaper" argument, unless they are just adding their order in with OCPD so they get a volume discount?

The new decals are certainly much simpler. I'm not so bothered by them. Heck, I got a real kick out of their "stealth car" (that wasn't so stealth if you actually paid attention to it) which was a real revenue turner for them. Whoever had that car couldn't seem to go anywhere without someone breaking the law in front of them! :D

My mom's first reaction on seeing the new cars was to ask if this meant Bethany would soon be taken over by OKC! Remembering the big discussion a few years back about going with OCFD to reduce the budget. She - and many others - were not at all pleased by that suggestion.

fireant

I remember the talks years back when that rumor came up, I know the biggest thing was OKCFD was wanting to bring in their Captains etc to run the Bethany Fire Dept, that was also a big complaint as guys who had been with Bethany for years and were already Captains etc would be made firefighters would be answering to people who had been on less time than they was on. Then, I was reading somewhere on the net or a document that my instructor had for our class at OSU-OKC, As I have slept since then and cannot remember where I read it that OKC was wanting to take over the Police and Fire Service for not only Bethany but also Warr Acres, Mustang, and Yukon. They felt that could adequately cover these areas. The members of these Departments would be brought into OKC Departments.

I am glad that this never happened as OKC is already spread to thin in my opinion and with the budget cuts etc it looks like it will not be getting any better anytime soon. The TRUTH is, over the last 10 years OKC has grown by 100k people and the fire department call volume has increased by 85%. Over the same 10 year period, the OKCFD staffing has decreased by 51 positions; the Cops, 200 positions. The City's OWN fire service study (done in 2006) calls for three new stations and the relocation of one station. All of this while station 7 (in Capitol Hill), has been closed for a year-and- a-half. The police are already short and they may end up having to layoff the last recruits out of the academy this year. At this time there are no plans for a academy for OKC Fire and Police in 2010.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the whole idea myself. One of the reasons (among many others) I specifically chose Bethany when buying my house was the excellent police and fire coverage. OCPD and OCFD have fine people, but I do feel they are spread way too thin, especially the PD.

I keep toying with the idea of moving out to the middle of nowhere. The idea of no neighbors sure is tempting! But good police/fire coverage is certainly a plus to being in a community like Bethany. If I found myself effectively depending on OKC for services, I don't think that would factor nearly as heavily in my decision as it does now. (Although to be honest the biggest thing keeping me in town is good broadband internet service! :D )

Bustergrn

I do not know of a State Statute that requires a certain paint style on marked police vehicles.

Black and white cars are more expensive. Solid colors, especially white, are cheaper. If saving some money to save the jobs of our officers is the solution, I am for it.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
I just remembered I had seen a brief article on the City of Bethany website that mentioned the new cars:

Bethany Police Cars Getting A New Look | City of Bethany.org

They do mention the new cars were cheaper, however they worked the deal. But I had forgotten the bit about the old cars' decals looking similar to several security companies. I guess that's a good reason too...

fireant

Wonder if they have the same design from behind that Yukon uses to help draw attention to the car when its on traffic? I don't understand why with red and blue lights that people have a terrible habit of hitting police cars while they are on traffic stops. I still remember many years ago when Moore Police was using the white cars with red and blue decals.

fireant

Bustergrn

I don't understand why with red and blue lights that people have a terrible habit of hitting police cars while they are on traffic stops.

fireant

It has several factors to it. Many people are attracted to the red/blue light combonation as an indication that something is occurring just in front of the lights. Their curiosity gets the better of them and they fail at multi-tasking. Some people don't deal well with bright lights in their face in low light environments (night) and simply cannot see. I've read articles and studies that claim amber lighting has a better effect on controlling, slowing or redirecting traffic than both red or blue. Many state police agencies moved to a system that displays more amber than red or blue to the rear for this very reason. I found an article that lends to that factor.....

Police Vehicles and Lights

In Oklahoma, police, fire and EMS agencies had to comply with new regulations of amber to the rear. This new regulation also required side lighting for 'slick-top' cars. If you look at TPD's traffic units, they have side lighting, usually in the rear passenger windows.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was in OKC today and coming home on I-40 I saw a new white charger, OHP, with "Troop Commander" on the back, first one I've seen.

Then a few miles along we passed 2 units, both colored grey one a ford crown vic, and the other was a SUV, both were marked "Oklahoma State Police". See by both of us.

My question is-is this a new department? or did they change over from being the Highway Patrol in Troop A?

N5TWB

I was in OKC today and coming home on I-40 I saw a new white charger, OHP, with "Troop Commander" on the back, first one I've seen.

Then a few miles along we passed 2 units, both colored grey one a ford crown vic, and the other was a SUV, both were marked "Oklahoma State Police". See by both of us.

My question is-is this a new department? or did they change over from being the Highway Patrol in Troop A?

Interesting that you haven't seen them before since you live in Elk City. I have seen the grey Tahoe version of what you describe on several occasions on I-40 west of OKC. Closest in was at a gas station in Yukon but have seen them as far west as Clinton. I'm told it is part of the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs highway interdiction effort.

WX5JCH

Banned
I don't think we have them in Elk City. This was my first encounter with them. Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for them out here. I don't get out as much as I did before I was so sick last year, that was my first trip to the city in almost a year.

N5TWB

I don't think we have them in Elk City. This was my first encounter with them. Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for them out here. I don't get out as much as I did before I was so sick last year, that was my first trip to the city in almost a year.

Glad to hear you are getting back on your feet!

WX5JCH

Banned
Yes, thanks to the crew of Air Evac 21, they saved my life. My condition went south and I had to have a trach done in flight. I was on a vent for 17 days at Saints in OKC, spent 2 month in ICU, didn't have a scanner the whole time.
Much better times now, I'm back to work and doing good. Saw my local doctor today and all is good.
Thank for the concern!
Take care
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.