BNC Right Angle Adapter That Doesn't Swivel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyscan

I am trying to use a RS Center Loaded Telescope Scanner Antenna with a base scanner. The antenna is really designed for a handheld so I need a BNC right angle adapter. The antenna is a little weighty so the problem is when I connect it to the scanner with the right angle adapter it tends to flop to the left or right due to the swivel action in the adapter. So my question is does anyone have a link to a BNC Right Angle Adapter that does not swivel or has a very tight swivel action? Thanks.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The nature of BNC connectors is to swivel. Use some electrical tape or superglue. Rotate the radio to connect/disconnect.

Ubbe

Use a short pig tail coax with a BNC male and female at the ends and place the antenna so it's leaning on something so it doesn't fall over. Putting the telescope directly at the back of the scanner will have the ground plane all over the place but if you can position the antenna on top of some metal it will probably also help the reception.

If you have the money, get a magnet foot antenna base. It might even be some with BNC type antenna connectors available.

/Ubbe

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Doing what the OP is requesting is a good way to break the antenna connector on the scanner, and isn't going to work that well anyway. Better to have the antenna on a tripod so it has a ground plane, and can be elevated higher for better reception, and the coax will put less stress on the connector.

nyscan

Doing what the OP is requesting is a good way to break the antenna connector on the scanner, and isn't going to work that well anyway. Better to have the antenna on a tripod so it has a ground plane, and can be elevated higher for better reception, and the coax will put less stress on the connector.
It wouldn't be any worse than the stock telescope antenna that has the built-in BNC elbow, correct?

DJ11DLN

From the dim recesses of my memory I seem to recall having this problem with a Motorola-type connector on this type of antenna many years ago on a BC3. The socket in the scanner was a bit oversized, or perhaps the connector on the antenna wasn't as thick as it should have been. The solution was to thread an appropriate screw into the mounting bracket hole farthest from the antenna jack, lean the antenna very slightly away from that side, and connect the screw and the antenna with a piece of mono-filament fishing line. It worked, and neither the scanner nor the antenna was damaged.

Ed6698

I believe this is the setup the OP is talking about with a right angle adapter. I use this RS telescoping antenna every so often like this. Works perfectly fine this way.

Attachments

• antenna.JPG
    antenna.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 169

nyscan

I believe this is the setup the OP is talking about with a right angle adapter. I use this RS telescoping antenna every so often like this. Works perfectly fine this way.
Yep. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Maybe the adapter I have is looser than normal. I'll try getting another one. Trouble is it's pot luck since there are not many offline stores anymore (Radio Shack) where you can check it before buying.

DJ11DLN

Yep. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Maybe the adapter I have is looser than normal. I'll try getting another one. Trouble is it's pot luck since there are not many offline stores anymore (Radio Shack) where you can check it before buying.
That is a problem. I have one adapter that won't hold up an RH77 type, just falls over the first time there is a draft from an open window or the floor vibrates from a heavy truck going by. Luckily they are cheap, you can order some from several sources and hopefully find one stiff enough to hold that center loaded whip up. They are indeed top heavy, I remember them well.

Status
Not open for further replies.