SDS100/SDS200: "Breaking" the Scan feature after Database Update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

da-Peter

Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2021
Messages
29
Reaction score
4
Hi guys,

I am new to the scanner world. I bought myself an SDS100 and I am facing a huge issue. Maybe it's just a user error but I can't find an answer on the internet, nor Uniden support can help me and they even told me to exchange my device, which I did but more about it in a second.
My issue is related to this: SDS100: - Database problem

Ok so here is what happened. I got my SDS 100. Right after getting it, I updated the firmware and database as it was recommended in many places I read before receiving it.
Now I put my Zipcode in and started scanning. All services are turned on. The scanner only scans through California Railroads, United States Forest Service and Department of Fish and Wildlife. That's it. No matter what I do. it won't scan ems, police, or anything else. These services are however enabled.

I called Uniden this morning and the tech walked me through a bunch of steps and settings but everything was correct as it should be. So they recommend to me to get my unit replaced as it is faster than sending it in. I just got it this past weekend.
I called up the dealer and they had another one in stock and replaced it with no issues.

So I turned the scanner on right away and set it up with time, date,etc. Entered my zip code and boom...it started scanning through police, ems and all the services which are enabled out of the box. Beautiful. I was so happy.
I got back to the house and checked if the firmware is out of date. Did that and updated the firmware. Unplugged the scanner and everything was still working beautifully. Still so happy.

I had created a new profile in Sentinel before plugging in the new SDS. It was strange it kept the favorite list I created for my "old" SDS100. I did a read from scanner and my two favorite lists were still there.

I didn't touch any settings in sentinel and did a write to scanner and force write full database. It took a while but now I am back to my main problem. I only scan a few systems and that's it. I called Uniden support again but they just told me I have to create favorite lists to select what I want. But at that point, I just want the same as it did before scan full database. It is even an option in the menu. Why else would that be there if you cant use it?
Now I am back to square one and I have no Idea what I should do. The Uniden guy just told me to send it in and have it looked at for the next 3 weeks. grrr...I was asking if they can send me the original files of the sd card which are on there when they ship it. Supposedly they cant do that.

Is it a stupid setting?
But it is weird even with railroad off, it still scans California railroad, not as many departments anymore as before but it still shows up. I like the device but I am almost at that point where I return the damn thing and get a different brand. I might have made a user mistage somewhere along the line but nobody can figure it out. I have the latest sentinel software, the most up to date database through sentinel, latest firmware on sds. I also did a reset user data and still the same issue.

What can I do. I am desperate. Thanks...
 

da-Peter

Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2021
Messages
29
Reaction score
4
Update:

I did delete all the data on the memory card. After that the scanner wont work anymore and tells me to reset the card by using the clear user data in sentinel.
However, when I do so, it writes all the settings back to the scanner. By writing to scanner it also updates settings on the scanner with the one in sentinel, which I never touched but probably are different from factory settings of the scanner. Even after that and entering my zip code again. its just the three same systems.

If I have to create favorite lists first, which I have to do on PC, then this scanner is completely useless to me. I have a handheld scanner to not have to use a PC or be bound to a desk or car.
There might be one stupid setting somewhere, sentinel is writing to the scanner which makes him behave like this. Even if I get a new one, Sentinel will keeps the profile and writes it to the scanner.
 

JoeBearcat

Inactive member
Uniden Representative
Joined
Jun 30, 2020
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
2,586
Check your location settings and/or make sure location control is disabled.

What is the zip code you put in?
 

da-Peter

Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2021
Messages
29
Reaction score
4
where do i find location control?
I am using 91702 currently that's where I am.

I also tried to use 98031 and if I use that zip code, I get nothing to scan, even with full DB on and all services on...

I am investigating and it seems when sentinel is installed it comes with its own "configuration" for the scanner which then gets written to the scanner.

Uniden should have split/given us a third option to update "settings" on the device. I just did a force write database but apparently, that pushes all the settings from sentinel there, even tho I haven't done any settings.

When I check in the directory on my PC where my profile is located and modified the profile.cfg it gets modified again after only write to scanner. Why would the computer file change if I basically just copy what I have on the computer to my scanner? It shouldn't touch local settings?

I am confused as hell and a bit disappointed by the product :( It might be just a stupid user error where one setting throws everything off but I haven't changed anything ever on either of the scanners I had. Just used sentinel to do a firmware update and database update.

Update:

I found location control under my favorite list. I deleted now my favorite lists altogether. It still does the weird behavior and not scanning full db

Update 2: I am curious to see the profile.cfg and other config files on the scanner of a brand new unit before it was connected to Sentinel.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Mar 30, 2019
Messages
295
Reaction score
340
Never have I encountered this issue (thankfully!), I will, nonetheless entertain you with my two cents:

Close and uninstall Sentinel.

Go to "C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\" Delete the "Uniden" folder if it is present.

Go to "C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\" (may have to go to "View" and select "Hidden Items" to see the AppData folder.) Delete the folder "Uniden" if it is present.

Install Sentinel, run it and choose your scanner, update database, write to scanner selecting to overwrite database and favorites. (Don't do anything else with Sentinel at this time.)

Disconnect your scanner from the computer, confirm service types you want to hear are selected in the scanner itself, enter your zip code and scan..

Let us know how it turned out...
 

rdlinn

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
78
Reaction score
33
Location
Western Grove
where do i find location control?
I am using 91702 currently that's where I am.

I also tried to use 98031 and if I use that zip code, I get nothing to scan, even with full DB on and all services on...

I am investigating and it seems when sentinel is installed it comes with its own "configuration" for the scanner which then gets written to the scanner.

Uniden should have split/given us a third option to update "settings" on the device. I just did a force write database but apparently, that pushes all the settings from sentinel there, even tho I haven't done any settings.

When I check in the directory on my PC where my profile is located and modified the profile.cfg it gets modified again after only write to scanner. Why would the computer file change if I basically just copy what I have on the computer to my scanner? It shouldn't touch local settings?

I am confused as hell and a bit disappointed by the product :( It might be just a stupid user error where one setting throws everything off but I haven't changed anything ever on either of the scanners I had. Just used sentinel to do a firmware update and database update.

Update:

I found location control under my favorite list. I deleted now my favorite lists altogether. It still does the weird behavior and not scanning full db

Update 2: I am curious to see the profile.cfg and other config files on the scanner of a brand new unit before it was connected to Sentinel.
SETTINGS: SET YOUR LOCATION: SET RANGE. I DO THIS IN THE SCANNER, NOT SURE WHERE OR IF YOU CAN DO THIS WITH SENTINEL
 
Joined
Mar 30, 2019
Messages
295
Reaction score
340
SETTINGS: SET YOUR LOCATION: SET RANGE

This can be set from 0 to whatever is the highest. Won't give the issue he is having with service types not being scanned as with the new scanner he received had no troubles until after he updated. It will turn out to be either Operator Error or a database issue.
 

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
12,181
Reaction score
4,563
Location
Dallas, TX
SETTINGS: SET YOUR LOCATION: SET RANGE. I DO THIS IN THE SCANNER, NOT SURE WHERE OR IF YOU CAN DO THIS WITH SENTINEL
In Sentinel, you access the Profile Editor, either via the drop-down Edit menu, or clicking the small icon under the V of the drop-down View menu. It resembles a piece of paper with a pen on top.

1626319001598.png

In the Profile Editor screen, location & range settings under the Location Settings tab.

1626318943830.png

If you change location settings in your Profile, those will be sent to the scanner when you do your 'Write to Scanner' to send database updates, and other settings, to the scanner.
1626319128954.png

You can enable Service Types in the Profile Editor. To see what types are enabled on the scanner itself, access Select Service Types via the scanners menu. If you see On for a given service type, it is enabled. Off indicates disabled. If instead, you see dashed lines rather than on or off, then there are no channels of that service type either in Favorites lists, or not in the main database based on your location & range settings.

1626319450155.png

This screenshot, via ProScan, indicates that I have no Aircraft service type entries in the Favorites lists I'm scanning, Business exists, and is On, but Corrections, even though there are entries of that type, is set as Off.

(While the scanner screenshots are not for the SDS100, you still access the settings, on the scanner, the same way. On the SDS100, you would see more lines at one time, but otherwise, there is no difference in how these settings are handled.)
 

da-Peter

Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2021
Messages
29
Reaction score
4
Hi guys,

I have tried everything I can think of but can't sort it out. I will try the complete uninstall of Sentinel, but I highly doubt that this will do. As I completely deleted the SD card and after that did the "Clear user Data". If you do this, this only creates the folders and copies the database to the SD card.
No config or profiles at that point. I then disconnected the scanner from the PC and set everything up from scratch again. Entered new zip code, set range to 50, which is maximum. Checked to see if all services are turned on.

The scanner loaded my current location California and national DB and then again, it just scanned the same services: Railroad, Fish and Wildlife, and Forest service.

If I can't use the scanner without creating favorite lists on a PC, which defeats the purpose of the scanner, this is more a useless device. Its like having the internet but you cant browse it. you first have to create the favorite lists of the sites you want to access even tho the sites are already there but you have to do it on your PC to use your phone's browser.
It might be user error, but I am still looking to find out where that error is, so I can correct it. I lean more towards corrupted database, even tho I redownloaded it a few times from the internet and also reconstructed it.

I forgot to do a backup of the SD card before doing the database update.

Is anyone here with an SDS100? would you be so kind and upload your database and your profile (which are just your settings) so I can copy it on my device. You don't have to send me your favorite lists, as I want to scan full DB rather than just favorites. According to the Uniden rep, they shipped the SD card empty, which is hard to believe as when I removed everything from the card, the scanner won't even turn on and tells me to use the "Clear user data feature" in sentinel. I asked them to send me that, but apparently, they don't have anything. I don't know how it gets on the SD card then...

Never have I encountered this issue (thankfully!), I will, nonetheless entertain you with my two cents:

Close and uninstall Sentinel.

Go to "C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\" Delete the "Uniden" folder if it is present.

Go to "C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\" (may have to go to "View" and select "Hidden Items" to see the AppData folder.) Delete the folder "Uniden" if it is present.

Install Sentinel, run it and choose your scanner, update database, write to scanner selecting to overwrite database and favorites. (Don't do anything else with Sentinel at this time.)

Disconnect your scanner from the computer, confirm service types you want to hear are selected in the scanner itself, enter your zip code and scan..

Let us know how it turned out...
Hi,

I tried it but the same result as before. I only get the same systems again. This is very very disappointing and I don't know anymore what to do. Uniden tells me I can send it in, but there is nothing physically wrong with the device. It must be the files on the sd card. It would be great if someone is able to just scan the full database and no favorite lists.

Unfortunately, the time to edit is expired and I have to make a new post.

I have one question for you guys.

So let's say I turn all services on and I enter a zip code. Let us say Seattle. After that, the scanner should load Washington and National Database and it should scan basically everything in Seattle, even with me not being there. The scanner doesn't know. So it should just work through all the lists for that area. I might not receive anything as the local agencies use different frequencies but the scanner should still scan or not?
 

donc13

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,548
Reaction score
1,095
Location
Grand Junction, CO
Very simply...

First menu, Set Scan Selection

Do not select any favorites only select full database in the first menu, turn all favorites OFF

Next, select set your location and enter your zipcode

Then set range, 20.0 miles is fine

Go back to first menu and select service types
Select the service types you wish to listen to ON and turn those you do not wish to listen to OFF

Back out of the menu system

You should be hearing the services you selected.



What happened is you saved the original "bad" setup into Sentinel and didn't clear everything out of sentenial when you swapped the scanner. You thus loaded the bad setup from the old scanner into the new scanner.
 

da-Peter

Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2021
Messages
29
Reaction score
4
Very simply...

First menu, Set Scan Selection

Do not select any favorites only select full database in the first menu, turn all favorites OFF

Next, select set your location and enter your zipcode

Then set range, 20.0 miles is fine

Go back to first menu and select service types
Select the service types you wish to listen to ON and turn those you do not wish to listen to OFF

Back out of the menu system

You should be hearing the services you selected.



What happened is you saved the original "bad" setup into Sentinel and didn't clear everything out of sentenial when you swapped the scanner. You thus loaded the bad setup from the old scanner into the new scanner.
Hi there,

thanks for the reply.
Well even with my first time using sentinel. I didn't change any settings in Sentinel. I only did update the Firmware of the scanner after that I did update the database in sentinel and then force write the database to the scanner.
So the "bad" settings come pre-delivered with Sentinel.

I start to believe it's a broken database.

I did erase the whole memory card and even used clear user data from Sentinel and did all the user data and user settings erase from the scanner.

I am stock with a "broken" scanner. It doesn't scan anymore as it did out of the box before the database update. Even deleting Sentinel and all profiles and reinstalling it and updating the Database on the scanner again puts me in the same situation.

In California, it only scans a few systems way less then selected because all services are turned on. Even with e.g. Railroad turned off, I can still see it popping up. Now just shorter as it only scans BNSF before it did BNSF, Amtrak,...So it seems the database update corrupted the database and assigned channels, systems and departments to the wrong services.

I could get another scanner but I will still have the same issue once updating the database. Either way, it makes the scanner kinda useless.

I would love to get my hands on the files from a fellow SDS100 user with his scanner working correctly. Otherwise probably returning the device for good and looking for a different brand. It is quite an expensive piece and if it would work as it should. I am super happy with it.

[off-topic] How long does it take before no Mod has to approve my messages anymore. This slows down response times :(
 

donc13

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,548
Reaction score
1,095
Location
Grand Junction, CO
As far as I know, there is no moderate approval, the messages are posted right away. But then I have been here literally for years so maybe it's been turned off for my user ID.

Second... I am very curious about the firmware update. The firmware for the SDS100 hasn't been updated in over 2 years. So a new radio should come with the latest update. What made you believe the firmware needed updated?

The master database, yes, that changes weekly.

The other thing, you formatted the SD card, did you use FAT32 formatting? That's a MUST. Or, did you just clear user data? Did you write to the scanner after you cleared user data?

The suggestion above about clearing anything saved on you computer and then clearing user data is a good one. Also, just update the master database only. Nothing else. And, make sure you "eject" the SDS100 or "shutdown" the computer before you unplug the radio from the computer. Turn the radio off, then back on. Then, go through the steps I posted above to essentially do a reset by just using the full database only and so forth on service types and location.


The sds series are extremely complex and the menus try to make that easier but you can get lost in the details. Be patient, the scanner you have know works... You know it does, it worked fine when you got it.

Sentinel does not know one sds100 from another, so if you write to the scanner after you clear user data... You write everything you saved from
 
Joined
Mar 30, 2019
Messages
295
Reaction score
340
In your first post, you mentioned that database problem. What I had you do, if done correctly, and you end up with the same exact problem. It is a database issue. You will have to wait for Uniden to go back into their notes to see what they did to correct the issue back then. Once they do and you download that new database, I believe your problems will disappear.
 

jtwalker

Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2012
Messages
2,822
Reaction score
3,137
Location
BEE00.1E8-1.22 (or) BEE00.689-1.13
Sounds like you need to read from the scanner using Sentinel to get the settings you make on scanner directly into Sentinel. Then when you write full db and profile from Sentinel it will have the changes you made on the scanner.
 

da-Peter

Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2021
Messages
29
Reaction score
4
Hi there,

I looked online about steps to take and even Uniden asked me if the firmware is up to date. Yes, both scanners needed an update. Maybe they are sitting in the warehouse for years. I don't know. Maybe they don't install the latest firmware during production.

Their service hotline is pretty useless. They just tell me too send it in and they can reprogram it. But i asked what i should do when i get it back after three weeks and update the database. They told me i can do it back and back and back. This is waisting a lot of money, resources and time they could use to actually fix the issue

Maybe it is an issue with my PC. But i use the same PC to update ECU from different industrial engines and electronic control precessor. No issue there.

I also asked if they would send me the stock files from the memory card. Database and so on. But their answer is, it doesn't have anything on there when it gets delivered. This can't be true as the scanner then wouldn't work out of the box

I just deleted all the contents on my memory card. I didn't format. I did a complete clean install from the PC by clean user data and force writing the database. Same problem. It only scans the systems in my current area. It seems the allocation of which system is assigned to what service is messed up.

It seems to be a good scanner if it works but right now it's just pretty much useless to me.

I am also convinced that sending it in, won't fix it. Even if they can reprogram it, it will be the same issue again after i update the database.

It would be really great if someone could send me the database from their memory card. I would like to give this a shot and transferring it through Windows rather than sentinel.

Off topic. Every post shows waiting for Moderator approval 🤷
 

phask

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,824
Reaction score
689
Location
zanesville
Are you certain you have the latest version of Sentinel? 2.02 rev01

.
 

KevinC

32D2T/957.282
Super Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2001
Messages
14,836
Reaction score
24,636
Location
I'm everywhere Focker!
Off topic. Every post shows waiting for Moderator approval 🤷

 

da-Peter

Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2021
Messages
29
Reaction score
4
Thanks. I understand the point from the admin side it just delays responses to my issue. Which is a little sad but not as sad as what i am freaking with right now with my scanner. That's the real bummer. If the scanner would work, i probably wouldn't be here. šŸ˜…
 

donc13

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,548
Reaction score
1,095
Location
Grand Junction, CO
OK, let's get absolutely basic here.

In the main menu scroll to SETTINGS and select it
In the SETTINGS menu, scroll to SEE SCANNER INFORMATION. and select it.
Now go down to FIRMWARE VERSION and select it.

What does it say?

Next, on your PC

Do not attach the scanner to the computer yet.

Startup Sentenial, select HELP-> ABOUT

IT should show:

BCDx36HP Sentinel
Version 2.02 (revision 01)

Next, under TOOLS->Target Model
SDS100 should be checked

Let us know what you get
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top