SDS100/SDS200: "Breaking" the Scan feature after Database Update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Hi there,

I looked online about steps to take and even Uniden asked me if the firmware is up to date. Yes, both scanners needed an update. Maybe they are sitting in the warehouse for years. I don't know. Maybe they don't install the latest firmware during production.

Maybe it is an issue with my PC. But i use the same PC to update ECU from different industrial engines and electronic control precessor. No issue there.

I also asked if they would send me the stock files from the memory card. Database and so on. But their answer is, it doesn't have anything on there when it gets delivered. This can't be true as the scanner then wouldn't work out of the box

To address the above (quoted text), the dB is installed when the chips are ordered. Same with the firmware. Even if it were updated at the factory, it would be out of date by the time the dealers receive them. If the dealers updated them, it could well be out of date by the time you receive it. Updating the database is an essential tool users need to understand.

You brought up a good diagnostic - try a different PC if you can. The fact other programs work is not proof all programs will work flawlessly.

When you clear user data, it leaves the card with the "stock files".

This really sounds like a location control issue. Perhaps those "magic three" services have no location data or have an incredibly large range.

What is the zip code you are entering?

Ubbe

So the problem is a corrupted database and yes it happens while writing to the scanner. The problem is however related to my laptop 🤷
It's probably the USB port that somehow overflows. If you are using a USB 3 port then try a USB 2 port. Check in the laptops hardware device handler that the USB port are not set to go to power save mode, as it could do that when file transfers take a long time.

You can copy the s_000006.hpd file from the database on the PC directly to the scanners database where that file are and overwrite it. That's the state of California database. If that doesn't work it has to be the ziptable lookup file that gets corrupted and you can copy that manually as well from the database folder. If it still doesn't work then set your location by using the GPS coordinates from you mobile phones GPS in decimal mode, not degrees and minutes.

/Ubbe

da-Peter

Hi guys,

I did a lot of testing over the last few days. I scanned my computer and everything is good according to Microsoft checker tool. I checked for driver updates, windows updates but everything is up to date. I tried both of my 2 available USB ports to copy the files to the scanner. Still the same issue. When I do an update through my pc the database or lookup table gets corrupted. When I do it through a different computer it works just fine. Both have the same windows version as well. but of course way different software installed but both are Dell.

I haven't tried to copy the database folder manually to my device yet. Will try that as well.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi guys,

I did a lot of testing over the last few days. I scanned my computer and everything is good according to Microsoft checker tool. I checked for driver updates, windows updates but everything is up to date. I tried both of my 2 available USB ports to copy the files to the scanner. Still the same issue. When I do an update through my pc the database or lookup table gets corrupted. When I do it through a different computer it works just fine. Both have the same windows version as well. but of course way different software installed but both are Dell.

I haven't tried to copy the database folder manually to my device yet. Will try that as well.
Did you try my suggestion in post #40?

sfb88

Proscan, some clarification may be needed on which is the "new" computer. Do you want the database deleted on the work computer or the original one that has the problem.

Also, though I hesitate to suggest this since I understand that the card holder is fragile, maybe removing the card and putting it into an external card reader for update would provide additional troubleshooting information.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Proscan, some clarification may be needed on which is the "new" computer. Do you want the database deleted on the work computer or the original one that has the problem.
The original laptop with the problem, not the wok laptop.

Also, though I hesitate to suggest this since I understand that the card holder is fragile, maybe removing the card and putting it into an external card reader for update would provide additional troubleshooting information.
I'll probably do that if all else fails.

da-Peter

Hi,

yes I heard that the battery clip and the memory card clip are super fragile and therefore want to avoid touching them too much. I will do more testing but I have no idea what's going :(

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Something else to try is to put the SD card in a card reader and try writing that way. You can update the data or firmware that way.

da-Peter

Ok, more testing more issues and I am freaking out.

Tried a third laptop. Completely different make and model from the other two and the same exact issue. It bricks the database. I did more testing and now narrowed it down even more.

I found that the database files already get bricked on the two "bad" laptops. Even if I copy the database from ProgrammData/Uniden to the sd card, I have the same issue.
I then tried to copy the database files from the "good" laptop to the SD card and after that the scanner works how it should.
I copied it through windows explorer without using sentinel but the SD card was actually in the scanner.

So now I copied the good database files from the good laptop to the same destination on the "bad" laptops. After starting Sentinel again, it starts automatically to reconstruct the database. Why, I don't know. but now when I copy the files to the scanner from the bad laptop, which just had the database reconstructed, the scanner wont work again. Also when I just copy the reconstructed files to the scanner, same. Scanner wont work.

So both of the "bad" laptops actually brick the database on the laptop. Transfer would work probably fine but that means I wont ever be able to update the database through my laptop, as it always gets bricked.

This is so annoying and I don't know what to do or what the issue is. This happens now on two completely different laptops. Both run Windows 10 but even different versions of it. So I am completely lost.

I don't know what to do anymore. I would like to keep my scanner up to date but as soon as I update the database through my laptops. I am screwed.

MStep

snipped for brevity.....)

I don't know what to do anymore. I would like to keep my scanner up to date but as soon as I update the database through my laptops. I am screwed.

I had some strange configurations on a new card with the SDS series. Make sure your SD cards are formatted correctly with the recommended format tool. Using the tool DO NOT use fast format, but the longer format choice. I had to try the right combination of adding and removing proper configuration. You may have to try to primary configuration in the computer OR in the radio through Sentinel to see what works for you.

Not sure where you are located, but try to find someone near you who has been ably to do these updates successfully on a regular basis. Sit next to him and mimic the sequential steps he uses to get the corrert configuration. Bring your radio and SD card to him and follow with him on his computer with your SDS card on your computer to see if you can exactly simulate the steps on each machine.
This may have already been suggested, or parts thereof. Best of luck.

Last edited:

MStep

Had some issues editing and updating the above post. Will try to provide clearer instructions later in the day.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Also, do NOT forget to eject the scanner from the computer and/or shut the computer down before you unplug the scanner from the computer.

This is important, Windows does delayed writes to disks (which the computer 'thinks' the scanner is) so if you unplug it too early, the SD-card gets corrupted.

da-Peter

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your replies. It seems more likely the issue is on my PC rather than the scanner. The database gets bricked on my PC while sentinel is reconstructing it.

On the laptop which works too update the scanner. I can also just unplug the scanner without removal. On the other two laptops nothing works. Removal doesn't help. It's the database get bricked my sentinel.

As i mentioned when i copy the good database from the good laptop via windows explorer directly to the sd card by using mass storage on the scanner. Everything works. Once i copy the good database to one of the bad laptops, the next time i start sentinel it reconstructs the database and this bricks the database on the PC. I haven't even transfered it yet. So after reconstructing by sentinel is done, i close sentinel and copy it again with windows explorer and again the DB is bricked.

However if i copy the good database again from the working laptop everything is fine. I don't know why sentinel on windows bricks the database. I think we can move away from SD card USB port issues, cable and scanner issues. It's sentinel. This is the culprit. But now i have no PC i own to update the database.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
It's NOT Sentinel, it's YOUR PC!

For heaven's sakes, you have proved that the issue is your PC and one other.

Sentinel works fine on 1,000's of PC's.

If you don't wish to check your own PC, that's fine, your PC, do with it as you wish. But don't blame Sentinel.

da-Peter

WTF? Why are you so aggressive. Be polite. And it's sentinel as it's the same issue on two unrelated PCs. So yes, at the moment i can blame sentinel as everything else works on both PCs. It might be an issue with both. But if you want me to check my PC, for heavens sake, bring up some suggestion not just be a rude d***.

As i have proven you wrong. Please refrain from any accusations like this.

Thank you. I am trying to find a solution and don't need useless comments like this. I am waisting hours to figure out what the issue is. It's not that i have nothing better to do.

Let's see, maybe we can figure this out together.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys,

I did a lot of testing over the last few days....
When I do it through a different computer it works just fine. Both have the same windows version as well. but of course way different software installed but both are Dell.

Your posting, not mine... So what is different between the 2 computers? You have been asked to try things... You don't.

I have told you about writing to usb drives and the delays, You don't try it, you just say that's not an issue.

Others have offered suggestions on removing all the data stored on your computer by Sentinel.

Anyway... Sorry you are having issues, 1,000's of others run Sentinel just fine.

sfb88

It's hard to explain why it would affect just Sentinel but maybe try in depth malware and anti-virus scans on the computers that break Sentinel? If you really are desperate, maybe completely wipe and reformat one of the problem computers, do a fresh install of the OS and any machine specific drivers, install just Sentinel and try it to see if it works.

da-Peter

Your posting, not mine... So what is different between the 2 computers? You have been asked to try things... You don't.

I have told you about writing to usb drives and the delays, You don't try it, you just say that's not an issue.

Others have offered suggestions on removing all the data stored on your computer by Sentinel.

Anyway... Sorry you are having issues, 1,000's of others run Sentinel just fine.
If you would read, think, maybe read again and think again. Which you really should. Than you would notice that i already tried whatever was suggested here. Stop lying! Instead of those useless posts come up with suggestions/solutions or just leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.