Broadcastify Calls - One Year In - 300+ Systems

thatoneiowan

Curious - if a system is already registered and publishing to Calls, is there any reason for another person to offer the same (trunked) system as well?

Depending on the system different towers might carry differnt traffic. I feed two towers on two systems and that helps cover a lot of things since some things are on one tower but not another or vice versa

louisik1

Feed Provider
Depending on the system different towers might carry differnt traffic. I feed two towers on two systems and that helps cover a lot of things since some things are on one tower but not another or vice versa

But let's say I would want to broadcast the same system as you. Legacy Broadcastify allows us to customize our feeds to only certain talkgroups to tailor it to specific audience. With Calls, if you're publishing 100 talk groups from the entire system, is there any reason for me to also publish just the 10 talk groups I would broadcast to my local audience? It seems redundant, from what I'm seeing.

Thanks!

apu

is there any reason for me to also publish just the 10 talk groups I would broadcast to my local audience? It seems redundant, from what I'm seeing.

It helps insure those 10 talk groups are in the system in case the other feed provider goes down or is receiving more radio traffic than they have resources to process. Though, if you have the radio resources to feed more than just the 10 talk groups, that benefits the larger audience with virtually no extra cost to you. A slight increase in your Internet bandwidth used but unless you are on a metered connection or slow DSL, you probably won't notice.

louisik1

Feed Provider
Right, that jives with what I was figuring. I saw some others talking about their calls being rejected as duplicates because someone else is also publishing the same stuff. Would that apply is the situation here, where I could set up to publish the same system as someone else, but 90% of my calls are rejected because their calls arrive 300ms sooner?

Thank you for taking the time,
Louis

apu

Would that apply is the situation here, where I could set up to publish the same system as someone else, but 90% of my calls are rejected because their calls arrive 300ms sooner?

Potentially. Though I don't believe there is any penalty for duplicate calls.

ChrisABQ

Been feeding Broadcastify Calls for 1 1/2 months now and some issues have been found regarding 15 minute blocks of missing voice transmissions and missing archived transmissions for those same blocks of time. Was compared between my feed and a user monitoring live comm's on their end of the same system/site. Wondering if this is a known issue or maybe a bug in the Calls system. This appears to be completely random over various TG's.

Windows 10 (Rebooted daily)
SDR Trunk Version 0.5.0 Alpha 6
3 RTL SDR Dongles
Site: Albuquerque Simulcast Site Details (New Mexico Statewide Public Safety Radio System)
Node: Node 899: New Mexico Statewide Public Safety Radio System<br />Site: Albuquerque Simulcast (Bernalillo County) - Live (broadcastify.com)

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Is there any software capable of decoding NEXEDGE for the Calls platform? There is a NEXEDGE trunked system here in DFW I am in range of that I would be interested in broadcasting sometime in the future.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Been feeding Broadcastify Calls for 1 1/2 months now and some issues have been found regarding 15 minute blocks of missing voice transmissions and missing archived transmissions for those same blocks of time. Was compared between my feed and a user monitoring live comm's on their end of the same system/site. Wondering if this is a known issue or maybe a bug in the Calls system. This appears to be completely random over various TG's.

Windows 10 (Rebooted daily)
SDR Trunk Version 0.5.0 Alpha 6
3 RTL SDR Dongles
Site: Albuquerque Simulcast Site Details (New Mexico Statewide Public Safety Radio System)
Node: Node 899: New Mexico Statewide Public Safety Radio System<br />Site: Albuquerque Simulcast (Bernalillo County) - Live (broadcastify.com)
I’m not aware of any bugs or issues such as the one you describe - I’m sorry.

scottb908

Feed Provider
Really like this idea! Setting up something like this would free up at least one scanner at Casa de Radio. Could it be made to work from an existing Calls node our would it require a new machine to be set up?

Like this too!

I am using SDR Truck and from the same machine feeding 2 different Call Systems as well as a Legacy feed. All using the one app and 2 SDR dongles.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I've been providing my city's Calls Platform feed from the first day I knew about it (support was already in SDRTrunk when I learned of it). I really like the concept but it only works well on a larger screen device, like my laptop computer; it does not work well from a small screen like an iPhone. I really wish there was an app that was able to make the experience better for smartphone users. When I like to listen most often is when I am "out and about" within my city and I see something happening. The Calls Platform allows me to back up and hear what lead up to the moment I saw it. A better interface for a smaller screen would make this easier.

TheAlmightyZach

Feed Provider
Loving Calls as well, would love to see a bit of an extended API to find / fetch calls similarly to the feed archives API. I know it’s still new, I’m sure there’s lots on the “to do” list.

titothefixer

Premium Subscriber
We love the calls system. We can't wait to see more features added. How can I go about requesting a simple name change for the node I provide? Our county shares the same name as another in Maryland. Both call nodes are named exactly the same.

nick223

Feed Provider
I've been providing my city's Calls Platform feed from the first day I knew about it (support was already in SDRTrunk when I learned of it). I really like the concept but it only works well on a larger screen device, like my laptop computer; it does not work well from a small screen like an iPhone. I really wish there was an app that was able to make the experience better for smartphone users. When I like to listen most often is when I am "out and about" within my city and I see something happening. The Calls Platform allows me to back up and hear what lead up to the moment I saw it. A better interface for a smaller screen would make this easier.

I run Trunking Recorder along side broadcastify calls/ SDR trunk. Trunking recorder is great on a mobile device you can also make your own favorite groups and listen to the groups

TheAlmightyZach

Feed Provider
I run Trunking Recorder along side broadcastify calls/ SDR trunk. Trunking recorder is great on a mobile device you can also make your own favorite groups and listen to the groups

Sounds like @bigRoN18 was probably referring to the Broadcastify Calls UI, which is sub-par on mobile in my opinion. I’d love to see app access through at least the official BCFY app, but more ideally give access to 3rd party apps as well.. even if we still have to sign in with BCFY to access it.

ProducerGuy

I'd like to see a list of all the known TG's on a given system, and be able to pick what I want to listen to up front. Just the same, I'm liking this better than the legacy BCFY.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to see a list of all the known TG's on a given system, and be able to pick what I want to listen to up front. Just the same, I'm liking this better than the legacy BCFY.
All known talk groups are listed in the database, with a link to the saved recordings from those that have them. You can also setup custom playlists on the calls website.

AB5ID

It would be nice to have a button you could click to show a filtered list of only active Broadcastify Calls groups on the main database. Instead of trying to hunt for for them in a list of all talk groups.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
It would be nice to have a button you could click to show a filtered list of only active Broadcastify Calls groups on the main database. Instead of trying to hunt for for them in a list of all talk groups.
This can be done as well, but for each system, not the entire Calls platform in one list.

Click on browse online systems -> click on the system you want to hear -> click on the 'i" icon -> click on all captured talkgroups.

AB5ID

This can be done as well, but for each system, not the entire Calls platform in one list.

Click on browse online systems -> click on the system you want to hear -> click on the 'i" icon -> click on all captured talkgroups.

I've done that way and it works great. I'd just like to have the option of when looking at a page on a main database page to click a button and only the talk groups that are live on the Calls platform are shown.

OK2AVS

;) Držím palce? Mnoho pozdravů z České republiky

Attachments

• Uniden BCD536HP.jpg
    Uniden BCD536HP.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: