Broome County P25 Phase II TRS

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
That PDF re: Jefferson County was interesting. Found this quote within it:

I presume the same would apply to Oneida (also VHF)? Unless the subscriber has a dual band radio? "Interoperability", indeed!
Not the same thing. A single-band system radio couldn’t roam from say Madison to Oneida because the frequency bands are different, but since they share a core, a talkgroup could be setup to allow users in each county to talk to each other (each staying on their home county/band).
St Lawrence is not a trunked system with the same core, so it’s a different situation.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering because I've noticed previously each county has an overlap to a neighboring county tower site so it would seem as though it would act as a repeater type situation. Apparently that is not what it does or how it works. ; )

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering because I've noticed previously each county has an overlap to a neighboring county tower site so it would seem as though it would act as a repeater type situation. Apparently that is not what it does or how it works. ; )
The overlap in coverage is primarily due to physics. It is very hard to stop RF at a political border (county line), especially when using hill top or mountain top sites. And sometimes the best site for your county is over the border at your neighboring county.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
And sometimes the best site for your county is over the border at your neighboring county.
The Popple Hill Site of the Broome Simulcast (misspelled as "People Hill" in the database) is actually over the border in Tioga County. And many will remember that on 911 the New Jersey State Police in Northeast New Jersey had significant communication problems due to loss of their site on the World Trade Center Tower.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
The overlap in coverage is primarily due to physics. It is very hard to stop RF at a political border (county line), especially when using hill top or mountain top sites. And sometimes the best site for your county is over the border at your neighboring county.
Yes, I just found it interesting that the mapping as a guesstimate seems to be exactly encompassing a tower site in each geographical corner. Coincidental I suppose...
I will say though, while mobile, in my case, with different scanners, the county line RF "cutoff" is remarkably accurate.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Just some quick clarification regarding CNYICC, the organization and the radio systems should be thought of separately. The Master site core for 2AE is owned and operated by Onondaga County, with input and advice from CNYICC. There is no ISSI available between between 2AE and any other system. This may be in process, driven by Lewis County, as they are the only non-Motorola system so far. Though this has been an on again off again for about 5 years now. Most of the installed radios may not be ISSI capable due to their age, as the ISSI requires full addressing, and this was shortcutted in early XTS radios. If the current crop of radios are hardware capable of ISSI, it will require a flash upgrade.

Only certain talkgroups are allowed to roam between radio sites (not to be confused with tower). Some talkgroups are on a push such as Onondaga fire dispatch, others are based on resources requested by an associated radio.

Interop with Lewis and Cortland is achieve through fingertip roaming, as the user would have to switch channels to switch systems.

Interop with Oneida is accomplished with significant overlapping coverage from Madison County and a little from Oswego, as well as dual band radios where appropriate (NYSP)

Due to the lack of the ISSI, control stations are used to link certain talkgroups E-Wide, F-Wide, intercoms, etc. to Lewis and Cortland.

Since Broome is technically a two site system, I would assume that one cell is site 7 and the other is site 8.

One additional note, Cayuga/Onondaga and Oswego/Madison use each other for coverage.

k2hz

Database Admin
Since Broome is technically a two site system, I would assume that one cell is site 7 and the other is site 8.
That is good to know. Anyone monitoring in the area as the system goes active should be verifying Site numbers. Thanks for all your other detailed info about system operation. It answers many questions.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Yes, very helpful.
Cortland county radios do have the law/fire/ems -wide TG's programmed. They also utilize patches for med helicopters on statewide hospital and law ops on statewide IA.

On a side note, I saw in the TG listing bold print for some of them, a link to broadcastify, the only ones with live audio apparently.?

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
That is good to know. Anyone monitoring in the area as the system goes active should be verifying Site numbers. Thanks for all your other detailed info about system operation. It answers many questions.

I don't get around there too much these days but I'll certainly be checking when I do. ; )

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Site 8 would appear to be the West cell, and so Site 7 is likely East. Some of the licensed frequencies are listed in the first post of this thread, so anyone within range of the the eastern portion of the county should check them for a control channel.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Any word on if there is going to be widespread use of encryption? It seems to be the theme of most new systems nowadays since it's so easy to implement compared to 15 years ago.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
On a side note, I saw in the TG listing bold print for some of them, a link to broadcastify, the only ones with live audio apparently.?

This is due to Broadcastify Calls system as it is a link to the calls system. All TG listings (the numbers) technically should be in bold as all TG are sent to the calls system, except for encrypted talkgroups. They may be at some point but who knows. That is up to how they set it up between broadcastify and the database here.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
All TG listings (the numbers) technically should be in bold as all TG are sent to the calls system, except for encrypted talkgroups.
Not necessarily. Node providers have the ability to select which talkgroups they want to upload (or omit) in the software. Some providers have made the choice not to upload any law enforcement talkgroups.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I was gonna say, seems like a weird selection. Other scanner apps have more than what appears to be "available" here.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Site 8 would appear to be the West cell, and so Site 7 is likely East. Some of the licensed frequencies are listed in the first post of this thread, so anyone within range of the the eastern portion of the county should check them for a control channel.
Three of the four frequencies for the east cell in that initial post remain in use for Broome County Transit, Broome County Airport Operations and the Town of Union Highway Department. Although the Tuscarora Ridge provides somewhat of a geographic barrier to radio signals I am not sure they could get the east cell up and running without some interference to the current users of the frequencies.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Not necessarily. Node providers have the ability to select which talkgroups they want to upload (or omit) in the software. Some providers have made the choice not to upload any law enforcement talkgroups.
Ok, well I provide the calls system in question and I do send everything so it was weird to not see them all in bold.

Sorry for taking original post in wrong direction. As I have been curious about the Broome system for awhile so I am trying to see if I can get it as I can't get any other surrounding counties outside of Onondaga (sp) but that is if I use outside antenna on my 536.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if I confused anyone but I was referring to the cortland county listing. Must be it's the same on all of them though.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Only TGs heard in the last 24 hours are bolded.
Ok. Just looked at the calls platform for past 24 hrs and they do indeed match those in bold. Thanks for the info as I was a bit puzzled by why others were not bold when there had been activity on them.