• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bug out Communications Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9-cop

I was talking with my Chief at work and we were talking about command posts and communications. It gave me an idea and I ran with it. I built a portable communications box out of an ordinary tool box. I went to Lowes and purchased the box for $20, the side walls are metal and the rest plastic which worked out great, see the pictures below. The main reason I am sharing this is because you could build one of these with any kind of radio including a CB or HAM radio. Let me know what you think [:)] The pictures were to big so the link under each paragraph will display the appropriate photo.

This is just what it looks like, an ordinary tool box.....
www.mediamax.com/k9_cop/Hosted/front.JPG

When you open the lid you will see two radios, one VHF and one UHF. Both of these radios run in the public safety bands. I have every emergency service frequency for my state in these radios including police, EMS, fire, Forest Service, BLM, and even our state wide communications center. Needless to say that anywhere I go in my state I can hit a repeater somewhere, even up in the mountains and trees. When you lift up the cradle that the radios are mounted to, there is 30 feet of power cable with alligator clips to connect to a car battery or other 12V power supply. Also the whip antennas and antenna cables for both radios are stored in the lower compartment.
www.mediamax.com/k9_cop/Hosted/inside.JPG

Finally here is a picture of the back. You can see the magnetic antenna mounts that nicely cling to the back of the box. When I deploy the box I simply pull the power cables through the hole along with the excess antenna cables and throw the antennas on the roof of a car etc. All the cabling stays nice and neat through the back of the box. If I even wanted to I can take my portable car jumper cable pack and power this comm box off of that if I am not going to be by my truck battery.
www.mediamax.com/k9_cop/Hosted/back.JPG

Taloniilm

Cool setup

You've created an excellent way to meet your portable needs. What I like about it most is the flexiblity and endless possibilties for further enhancement, ie. a battery powered under lid lamp, ( the type found in ice chests) to illuminate your gear. Your Chief sounds like the Chief's I served under... wise. After all they didn't make Chief by sitting on their _sses !!!

k9-cop

Taloniilm said:
You've created an excellent way to meet your portable needs. What I like about it most is the flexiblity and endless possibilties for further enhancement, ie. a battery powered under lid lamp, ( the type found in ice chests) to illuminate your gear. Your Chief sounds like the Chief's I served under... wise. After all they didn't make Chief by sitting on their _sses !!!

Indeed. He is a great guy. The conversation started when we were talking about adding a radio to my rig for command scene needs. I was not sure how to go about it because I have an unmarked truck with a canopy but as you know it is not weather tight for electronic type gear. He suggested something like this and I ran with it. I love this because I can take it camping etc. Thanks for the reply.

SP101

Feed Provider
Excellent work!

When you get a chance, can we see some internal pics begind the radio mounts?

Thanks.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
k9-cop said:
Both of these radios run in the public safety bands. I have every emergency service frequency for my state in these radios including police, EMS, fire, Forest Service, BLM, and even our state wide communications center.

Modded ham radio for public safety bands? Great idea there :lol:

k9-cop

pawsrock said:
Thought you would like to see these links on an ARES Boom box. I am slowly building one of these, now looking for a good deal on gel cells. Click on the links at the bottom of this post.
Ron Fone
www.flamesandfur.com

http://home.comcast.net/~wx2nj/aresbox.html

http://www.gladlylearn.com/AmateurRadio/ARESBoombox/Boombox.htm

Wow those are neat setups, far more complicated than what I want to get into. The only thing that would concern me on those is how there is so much stuff exposed on the outside of the box. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.