Buick Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearcatGB

Does anyone have any good PGA Tour or other frequencies to monitor for this week's Buick Open in Grand Blanc? Also the MetLife Blimp, Snoopy 1 will be here Thursday through Sunday. Any freqs for blimp ops would be appreciated too. This is apparently going to be the last Buick Open. It was announced on the local news the other day that it appears that GM is dropping their sponsorship of this event and that next year it will have a new title sponsor and be played elsewhere.

I now have a Uniden 396XT and would like to listen to whatever action I can hear from Warwick Hills. I live about a mile north of the course, so should be able to pick up quite a bit. I already have the MPSCS for Genesee County programmed in. I will search the database again for PGA Tour and MetLife blimp info. I am using ARCXT for programming my scanner.

Any help that you experts can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

BearcatGB

Thanks for the quick reply Flintstone4680. It's much appreciated! Now I need to get busy programming these freqs into my 396XT!

I actually almost chose BobcatGB as my screen name, but chose BearcatGB because it sounded better to me. Besides, I wanted something with a reference to scanners since I have been a scanner buff since I received my first scanner, a Bearcat III crystal controlled unit, from my parents for Christmas when I was 12 years old. I still have it and it still works, believe it or not!

cubn

Database Admin
These are freqs reported from a 2006 event:
http://forums.radioreference.com/1093715-post4.html

I also read on the STLASE YahooGroup that the 2008 BMW Classic had a 4 channel LTR system brought in for the event.

Here's some info from the 2009 US open:
Long Island Live Scanner Feeds: Forums / Site News / Special Feed: US Open Golf Championship

I'd especially search between 451-453 MHz. When I've been to LPGA events, the simplex freqs are just barely able to be heard a mile away with a handheld scanner. The 450 and 455 Mhz range was hopping with media activity during the LPGA events.

Please let us know what you are able to hear.

BearcatGB

Thanks for the info cubn. I appreciate it. Currently I am searching the 450 - 455 range, and you are right. There is quite a bit of media activity. So far I am hearing:

450.175 Golf Channel
450.675 Media, but haven't identified which one yet. Just identified this one as Golf Channel Audio with leaderboard updates.
450.9625 Media, possibly Golf Channel, coordinating media activity on fairways and greens
463.9375 PGA Tour
469.5000 PGA Tour

The MetLife blimp is out over the course right now, but so far I haven't heard any transmissions on the frequencies provided by Flintstone4680. Maybe when they start the live coverage on the Golf Channel at 3:00 PM Eastern there will be more activity from the blimp.

Last edited:

PMSCAN

Premium Subscriber
Was there yesterday and the MSP Mobile Command Post was parked out front ... so you may want to add MPSCS System G - Event TG's to your search list ...

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the info cubn. I appreciate it. Currently I am searching the 450 - 455 range, and you are right. There is quite a bit of media activity. So far I am hearing:

450.175 Golf Channel
450.675 Media, but haven't identified which one yet. Just identified this one as Golf Channel Audio with leaderboard updates.
450.9625 Media, possibly Golf Channel, coordinating media activity on fairways and greens
463.9375 PGA Tour
469.5000 PGA Tour

The MetLife blimp is out over the course right now, but so far I haven't heard any transmissions on the frequencies provided by Flintstone4680. Maybe when they start the live coverage on the Golf Channel at 3:00 PM Eastern there will be more activity from the blimp.

The blimp freqs were from a website that was last updated in 1996, so I don't know how accurate they are. Try searching the civilian air band too (118-137).

cubn

Database Admin
I found these listed on a scanner group:

Saw Met Life blimp over Villa Park yesterday, looked like
they were headed in the direction of DPA at that time - check 123.325
and 123.350 for them.

Back in 7/06, I found Met Life's "SNOOPY 1" using 123.350 for comms with
its ground crew while here in the Chicago area.

markyboy

Hi BearcatGB....i`m off to watch some golf in florida..in the next few months...I`ve got a uniden3500xlt...
Will i be able to pick up the golf channel with this scanner..also how close to the course do you have to be to pick up the on course action.I`ve also noticed that pgatour sirus xm broadcast from every event will my scanner be able to pick up this satellite signal? many thanks for any info you can give me..

SCPD

QRT
Hi BearcatGB....i`m off to watch some golf in florida..in the next few months...I`ve got a uniden3500xlt...
Will i be able to pick up the golf channel with this scanner..also how close to the course do you have to be to pick up the on course action.I`ve also noticed that pgatour sirus xm broadcast from every event will my scanner be able to pick up this satellite signal? many thanks for any info you can give me..

Scanners can't get cable TV audio, or satellite radio.

markyboy

Thanks Flintstone...I`ve noticed on an earlier post that you can get the live XM radio live feed on 450-8000 fm.Im staying in a hotel around 1 mile from the event..will my hand held scanner be able to pick that up?

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Flintstone...I`ve noticed on an earlier post that you can get the live XM radio live feed on 450-8000 fm.Im staying in a hotel around 1 mile from the event..will my hand held scanner be able to pick that up?

Yes most scanners get that frequency. As for range it depends on the power of their radios. Put it in and see what you can pick up.

Also BTW Your scanner can get the above frequencies too. I thought you mean the actual on air TV audio. It can get their 2 way radios.

Last edited:

markyboy

I`ve currently got a Uniden 3500xlt with arubber duck antenna..if i change my antenna will that increase my range and what antenna would you recommend...I`m new to scanning so sorry if the question sound basic..

SCPD

QRT
I`ve currently got a Uniden 3500xlt with arubber duck antenna..if i change my antenna will that increase my range and what antenna would you recommend...I`m new to scanning so sorry if the question sound basic..

if you're at the course you should be able to pick the radios up great. They're low power radios and 1 mile is probably on the outer edge of their range so a different antenna probably wouldnt make a difference but see if you can get them from your hotel first before you drop the money for a new antenna.

Last edited:

BearcatGB

Thanks for answering markyboy's questions Flintstone4680. I live about a mile from Warkwick Hills, where the Buick Open used to be played. Last year I heard quite a bit of activity on my 396XT. I enjoyed listening to the UHF (freq in post 4 above) feed of the XM Radio Golf channel. I listened to that feed a lot while watching the actual broadcast on TV. During commercial breaks the mics were left open. The result was that you could here the commentators talking among themselves. They told some pretty funny jokes that wouldn't be aired on live TV!

I also heard some activity from the course on the PGA Tour freqs provided in post 2 by Flintstone4680. I only heard the Snoopy blimp once on one of the 123 Mhz freqs, but don't remember which one.

It's a shame that GM cancelled the Buick Open after last years event due to the economy. I finally get a good digital scanner and then the tournament ends. It wlll seem strange at the end of July this year to not have a Buick Open to attend in person and to listen to on the scanner. I went to last year's tournament on Friday and enjoyed some good golf!

To answer your antenna questions, I use the following three with my Uniden 396XT:

Radio Shack 800 MHz - a great antenna for the MIchigan digital MPSCS trunking system.

Comet CH-72S - Excellent antenna for VHF and UHF
Diamond RH77CA - Another good antenna for VHF and UHF

Between the Comet and Diamond, I prefer the Comet. It works well for my location here in Michigan and it worked very well for monitoring the Buick Open traffic. Now I have the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna on the scanner most of the time. I bought the Comet primarily for use with my 2 Meter HT.

Have fun with your scanner markyboy. If you have any more questions, just let us know.

markyboy

Thankyou you both for taking the time to help me..As you can see from my questions im new to the world of scanning but really enjoying what you can pick up on these scanners.
I currently live in London and will be coming across the pond to watch the golf in florida for the next 6 weeks, so my scanner should really enhance my viewing..
One last question Flintstone...you say my scanner is low power...it cost me around $250 ...what would a higher powered scanner cost and what make would you recommend?Also you say 1 mile is on the limits ..What would a higher powered scanner give me interms of range..
Thankyou both once again...i`ll update you on my trip in the next few weeks kind regards..

SCPD

QRT
Thankyou you both for taking the time to help me..As you can see from my questions im new to the world of scanning but really enjoying what you can pick up on these scanners.
I currently live in London and will be coming across the pond to watch the golf in florida for the next 6 weeks, so my scanner should really enhance my viewing..
One last question Flintstone...you say my scanner is low power...it cost me around $250 ...what would a higher powered scanner cost and what make would you recommend?Also you say 1 mile is on the limits ..What would a higher powered scanner give me interms of range..
Thankyou both once again...i`ll update you on my trip in the next few weeks kind regards..

No I was talking about the radios (walkie talkies) used at the golf courses. They're low powered and have short ranges so have have to be pretty close to pick them up; as compared to radios used by police and fire services which are much stronger and have longer ranges and can be heard from several miles (kilometers) away. Your scanner is a receiver and wil pick up anything whos range you're in. One of the antennas Bearcat listed will increase your reception so there'll be less static; I also recommend the Diamond model he mentioned, I have one and it works great in the VHF/UHF range which their radios are in. Didn't mean to confuse you. We were newbies once too.

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber

Absolutely not. XM Radio is a satellite-based radio service - you need to subscribe to XM and use a XM receiver to monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.