SDS100/SDS200: Can I display/toggle Departments the same as FL or Systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
One thing that makes the GRE user interface so much more friendly is the name of the list is displayed when you toggle it on/off. It would be nice if when you use Quick Keys the name just affected was briefly displayed. I see there's a way to list all Favorites, or all Systems under a FL and toggle there. Is there a way to do this with Departments?

While I like the way Uniden manages multiple Sites of a Trunked System; they do not provide an eloquent way to manage conventional & trunked together. In other brands I can assign all Talkgroups & Conventional channels in a county to the same list.

With the SDS you must define a System as either being a Trunked System or Conventional System, which by doing so, means they can't be combined. To make matters worse, because conventional frequencies must be within a Department under a Conventional System, there appears to be no similar on-screen method to select Departments (like are provided for FL & Systems).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You absolutely can mix trunked and conventional in a single favorite list. They have to be in separate systems, but any mix of systems can be in a favorite list.

Departments are toggled the exact same way, whether conventional or trunked. Anything you can do with a system using the system button can be done to departments and channels with their respective buttons.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You absolutely can mix trunked and conventional in a single favorite list. They have to be in separate systems, but any mix of systems can be in a favorite list.
I'm not asking to mix them, I know I can do that. I want the trunked and conventional channels in the same county to be able to be assigned to the same toggle (QK/etc).
Code:
------- GRE STYLE -------
NEVADA <------- V-Folder
Wahoe County <- List 0
- Conventional freq
- TSYS Object
- TGRP Object

----- UNIDEN STYLE -----
NEVADA <--------- Favorite List
Conventional <--- QK 0
- Actual freq
Trunked System <- QK 1
- Site
- Department

Departments are toggled the exact same way, whether conventional or trunked. Anything you can do with a system using the system button can be done to departments and channels with their respective buttons.
You didn't understand my question. Certainly I can use Quick Keys to toggle FF.SS.DD. But when you go through the MENU, it provides a list with the names that you can select and toggle. This list exists to toggle FLs and Systems but NOT Departments. I posted here because I thought there might be a way that I just overlooked or wasn't documented.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Set Scan Selection \ Select Lists to Monitor submenu only toggles favorite lists and the full database, not individual systems within a favorite list.

You can set, clear, and review avoids for systems, departments, and individual channels with the Manage Favorites menu, as well as using the System, Department, and Channel keys, scroll knob, and Avoid button during scanning.

So your question makes no sense.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
So your question makes no sense.
Let me re-state it then.

To select Favorites list(s):
MENU -> Set Scan Selection -> Manage Quick Key Status -> Favorites Quick Key

To select System(s):
MENU -> Set Scan Selection -> Manage Quick Key Status > System Quick Key

How do I do this for Departments?
For example, I have a nearly full list of Departments in my Conventional Systems.
Yes Quick Keys directly toggle them, but you don't have a prompt or confirmation with the name.

Thanks.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Let me re-state it then.

To select Favorites list(s):
MENU -> Set Scan Selection -> Manage Quick Key Status -> Favorites Quick Key

To select System(s):
MENU -> Set Scan Selection -> Manage Quick Key Status > System Quick Key

How do I do this for Departments?
For example, I have a nearly full list of Departments in my Conventional Systems.
Yes Quick Keys directly toggle them, but you don't have a prompt or confirmation with the name.

Thanks.
Edit a system, then select a department. Channel settings are under the department.

You aren't going far enough into the menu.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Edit a system, then select a department. Channel settings are under the department.

You aren't going far enough into the menu.
Under MENU -> Set Scan Selection -> Manage Quick Key Status there are only 2 choices. I've listed them and they don't go further. Please post the exact key press sequence needed to get where you have mentioned. There is no "Edit a system" under MENU. Thanks.

dougjgray

I'm not asking to mix them, I know I can do that. I want the trunked and conventional channels in the same county to be able to be assigned to the same toggle (QK/etc).
Code:
------- GRE STYLE -------
NEVADA <------- V-Folder
Wahoe County <- List 0
- Conventional freq
- TSYS Object
- TGRP Object

----- UNIDEN STYLE -----
NEVADA <--------- Favorite List
Conventional <--- QK 0
- Actual freq
Trunked System <- QK 1
- Site
- Department

You didn't understand my question. Certainly I can use Quick Keys to toggle FF.SS.DD. But when you go through the MENU, it provides a list with the names that you can select and toggle. This list exists to toggle FLs and Systems but NOT Departments. I posted here because I thought there might be a way that I just overlooked or wasn't documented.
I cant answer about depts and uniden is different. But you can still combine conventinal and trunk together by making a sytem with the trunk sys and make a system with the conventional and give them the same system quick key number

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
To toggle or change an avoid on a channel in the menu:

Manage Favorites\ [select favorite list] \ review/edit system \ [select system] \ edit department \ [select department] \ edit channel \ [select channel] \ set avoid

Stop at the system or department level to avoid or un-avoid a system or department.

Review avoids under the manage favorites menu shortcuts you to all avoids in the favorite list.

You can set and clear avoids at the system, department, and channel level without going into the menu by using the respective buttons, scroll, and the avoid key.

So yes, you can toggle objects at any hierarchy level on and off from both the menu, and using the keypad while scanning.

And when entering a quick key, the numbers underneath the cursor tell you what valid quick key options are available.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber

Manage Favorites\ [select favorite list] \ review/edit system \ [select system] \ edit department \ [select department] \ edit channel \ [select channel] \ set avoid

Stop at the system or department level to avoid or un-avoid a system or department.

Review avoids under the manage favorites menu shortcuts you to all avoids in the favorite list.

You can set and clear avoids at the system, department, and channel level without going into the menu by using the respective buttons, scroll, and the avoid key.

So yes, you can toggle objects at any hierarchy level on and off from both the menu, and using the keypad while scanning.

And when entering a quick key, the numbers underneath the cursor tell you what valid quick key options are available.
Thank you. What your instructions lead to is Toggling Avoids on Channels. Want I want is to toggle Departments on & off, the same way as with FLs and Systems. It's clearly not available on the present version of firmware. I wonder what we have to do to make this an official request to get added.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for how to toggle Departments IN THE SCANNER where I can see the names of the Departments. This is provided for Favorites and Systems but not Departments. I'm not talking about Avoids. Thanks.

budevans

gmclam is correct.

From your scanner, there is no Menu selection to see the Department Quick Key list for each Favorites list. The only Menu selections in the scanner are Favorites and Systems. In the case of Systems it only shows the amount of memory used and the number of entries.

Using your scanner you can't drill down to find the Department Quick Keys for each Favorites list, like you can with the Sentinel program on your PC.

In my case I currently have 43 Favorites lists and some of those Favorites lists have over a dozen Departments. For me the only way to keep track of the Department Quick Keys is to use a cheat sheet.

Adding the ability to see each Favorites Departments, would be a nice feature to add in a future update.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In the same menu you set/clear avoids, you can view, set, and clear quick keys for systems and departments.

Also, avoids toggle things on and off, which is what you asked for in the thread title. You can also use avoids to toggle systems, departments, and channels that don't have quick keys defined.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
In the same menu you set/clear avoids, you can view, set, and clear quick keys for systems and departments.

Also, avoids toggle things on and off, which is what you asked for in the thread title. You can also use avoids to toggle systems, departments, and channels that don't have quick keys defined.
Great, would you please provide the exact key presses needed to get to where I am seeing Departments listed and I can toggle them on/off. Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Avoids have the exact same effect as quick keys--enabling or disabling scan objects.

You can toggle department quick keys by entering [favorite list key].[system key].[department/site key] while scanning. But you need a cheat sheet or a good memory for that. If you want to use only the menu, you'll need to use Avoids instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.