Can I use the Pro-95 for LTR trucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumz0rz

Hi,
My dad's always been a scanner buff, and so I borrowed his Radioshack Pro-95 scanner to use for a while. I was trying to program in a trunked frequency when I realized that the freq. I wanted to enter uses the LTR trunking system and this scanner only supports MOT and ED systems. Is there any way I can still scan an LTR system with this scanner or would I have to buy a different unit that supports LTR? As a follow up then, if I do need a different radio, what's the cheapest (doesn't have to be radioshack) unit I can find that works with LTR? It doesn't need to be a 1000 channel unit like this one.

drumz0rz

yes I know that. Is there any way to get it anyway? Like manually entering each channel or something?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-97 does LTR

...Is there any way I can still scan an LTR system with this scanner or would I have to buy a different unit that supports LTR?
You can program in the frequencies of the (LTR) system you want to monitor. The scanner will not "track" a conversation, but you'll be able to hear it. If the system is small or has very light traffic, good. If it is a large system or has a lot of radio traffic, then you'll probably only hear pieces of conversations and it'll be frustrating.

My PRO-92s & PRO-97s all can receive LTR. Both are 1000 channel scanners. If you're looking for a cheap scanner, I'd go with the PRO-97. However, there are newer models which are essentially updates to these models if you want new and/or willing to spend a few more $$$.

drumz0rz

You can program in the frequencies of the (LTR) system you want to monitor. The scanner will not "track" a conversation, but you'll be able to hear it. If the system is small or has very light traffic, good. If it is a large system or has a lot of radio traffic, then you'll probably only hear pieces of conversations and it'll be frustrating.

My PRO-92s & PRO-97s all can receive LTR. Both are 1000 channel scanners. If you're looking for a cheap scanner, I'd go with the PRO-97. However, there are newer models which are essentially updates to these models if you want new and/or willing to spend a few more $$$.

I'm trying to track this system if at all possible. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4590. Is there a way I can program, say just one talk group on this radio, or do I really just need a LTR radio.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to track this system if at all possible. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4590. Is there a way I can program, say just one talk group on this radio, or do I really just need a LTR radio.
Wow, only two frequencies listed. I wonder if the listing is complete. If it is, you can certainly program in the two frequencies and see what you hear. Unfortunately, you won't know which TG you're hearing.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The other posters are correct... just to add

you CANT track just ONE talkgroup.

Just program in BOTH channels and try to listen... youll hear ALL conversations though, not just your desired TalkGroup.

Try it if thats not acceptable, then yes you will have to get an LTR radio.

Be sure to ask in your local state forum if this system is still in use, if anyone has more frequencies (or can run an LTR analyzer on the system). Id have to think with that many talkgroups there should be more then 2 channels.

drumz0rz

Thanks, I know the system is still in use because I use it. I just wanted the scanner so I could listen when I don't have a radio.

mccenzi

do i need to install the driver cd for the 20-o47 cable if so i i am having trouble doing so any help would be great...

mccenzi

pro 96

help please any one have files from kansas that they wish to share with this newb or release any info on the 20-047 cable instructions i tryed to install with no luck..

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
20-047 cable & driver

do i need to install the driver cd for the 20-o47 cable if so i i am having trouble doing so any help would be great...
A driver is needed to make the cable work. I use one on my XP-based laptop. Typically the way it works is that you plug in the cable, and it will "find new hardware". It will prompt regarding installing a driver - whether you have a disc, or if it should look for a driver. My computer found a driver and I was good to go. Are you using XP? If not, what? Another thought is to check either the Wiki here on RR, or do a search for "20-047" and read what others have posted. I'm sure you'll find an answer.

Lastly; one problem many of us have after we get the driver installed is getting WIN95 set to the correct com port. With the cable plugged in, go to control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> ports .. and see what COM port was assigned to the cable. Then go into WIN95 and set it to the same com port.

Good luck

dangitdoug

Not me!!

A driver is needed to make the cable work. I use one on my XP-based laptop. Typically the way it works is that you plug in the cable, and it will "find new hardware". It will prompt regarding installing a driver - whether you have a disc, or if it should look for a driver. My computer found a driver and I was good to go. Are you using XP? If not, what? Another thought is to check either the Wiki here on RR, or do a search for "20-047" and read what others have posted. I'm sure you'll find an answer.

Lastly; one problem many of us have after we get the driver installed is getting WIN95 set to the correct com port. With the cable plugged in, go to control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> ports .. and see what COM port was assigned to the cable. Then go into WIN95 and set it to the same com port.

Good luck

I bought a refurbished Dell GSX370 with Windows XP loaded. The first time I used my cable it operated without asking for drivers. I had to do the com port thing, but that's no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.