• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can't get this radio workin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
The radios in question are not dual band the manuals usually list both types for the same models as the manual is mass produced and cost effective and gives information on both band sets covered under that model type. Stick to a scanner for monitoring trunked. No pun intended but this error you'd have a heck of a time to near impossible to monitor a trunk system with a two way or even attempting it not to mention it's very illegal and once that radio shows on the techs or dispatchers console, zap. Inhibited. A scanner for that type of trunking would be ideal and the two ways you have are not necessarily useless if there fcc type compliant and if you ever wanted a ham license you'd be set in some form. Personally the bug out thing is a corporate way of making one man buy in a questionable hard economic time.

Last edited:

noodlebot

The radios in question are not dual band the manuals usually list both types for the same models as the manual is mass produced and cost effective and gives information on both band sets covered under that model type. Stick to a scanner for monitoring trunked. No pun intended but this error you'd have a heck of a time to near impossible to monitor a trunk system with a two way or even attempting it not to mention it's very illegal and once that radio shows on the techs or dispatchers console, zap. Inhibited. A scanner for that type of trunking would be ideal and the two ways you have are not necessarily useless if there fcc type compliant and if you ever wanted a ham license you'd be set in some form. Personally the bug out thing is a corporate way of making one man buy in a questionable hard economic time.
I'm so confused.. what is a ham licensed required for? I just want to be able to hear the police communications via a handheld device when I am out and about.
These walkie talkies are FCC compliant as far as I know and the stickers reveal.

What about the bug out bag, deeply confused about that as well. There's no marketing scheme there, it's just what I want to have. If you don't want a bug out bag, don't make one, and don't fill it with **** you won't need...

Ever packed clothes for vacation? There's a bugout bag technichally.

SCPD

QRT
Bug out thing is irrelevant just opinion and everyone has own idea but prepared for things is a plus. Ham license is for amature operators to operate on specific bands such as 400 MHz range and 140 MHz range just small example. For now I would suggest looking for or buying a scanner capable of Motorola type 2 (II) smartnet. Basically a scanner capable of type II smartnet or smart zone is capable of conventional scanning also. Smartnet type II is the particular trunking system that agency you want to monitor uses. You could either buy something modern (scanner) capable of conventional and smartnet type 2 scanning new and capable of more not just that or find a used scanner just to monitor that and conventional things. A two way on a trunk system is not ideal just to monitor if your not a user of the system. To start I'd look for a scanner capable of scanning Motorola type II smartnet. There are plenty of used or new scanners are capable of Motorola type II smartNET.

noodlebot

When you guys mention scanners and such however, I can't be using a big clunky item, and I wouldn't be leaving this on all the time regardless. Would a handheld device REALLY not work? I have to go out and buy a huge scanner/trunking thing?

When you say, " two way on a trunk system is not ideal just to monitor if your not a user of the system."
What does that mean exactly?
I will not be responding to anyone using the frequency, I will only be tapping in and listening.
How would listening to it via trunked system be more ideal?

Last but not least, if you could please point me in the direction of some form of handheld device for casual listening/monitoring I would appreciate it.

noodlebot

OK so if you had to show someone a couple handhelds that can access this "Motorola_Type_II_SmartNet" network please do. I'm at a loss here. Not trying to be rude or anything, but I just don't understand this lingo. Just want a handheld device to have it ready, and place it in my backpack for whenever it might be required.

SCPD

QRT
There are various scanners available depending on what your willing to pay and honestly a Motorola is heavier then any scanner lol modern scanners aren't bulky. I'd start at scanner master.com then look at your budget you'd like to spend on whatever you'd like. Basically unlike a conventional freq say 155.350 where you can pop into a radio and tap in and trunk network the radio affiliates with the system. Basically it turns on and the dispatcher sees radio xx just came onto the system.

noodlebot

There are various scanners available depending on what your willing to pay and honestly a Motorola is heavier then any scanner lol modern scanners aren't bulky. I'd start at scanner master.com then look at your budget you'd like to spend on whatever you'd like. Basically unlike a conventional freq say 155.350 where you can pop into a radio and tap in and trunk network the radio affiliates with the system. Basically it turns on and the dispatcher sees radio xx just came onto the system.

I see

Now with this trunked system, this is possible for them to triangulate you?

The address that it gives when connecting to the network, is this a MAC address, serial number of the device, or what sort of information (if you know) does this request.

I would imagine they would only be able to track if you are sending, not just receiving?
Basically I just want a handheld radio to know when police are in the area, there are lots of sketchy things in my area and sometimes it's better to be aware

noodlebot

And how can I prevent being noticed on their network at all? In my opinion that would be utterly useless if they were only knowing my location each time I connected for a few minutes just to listen.

noodlebot

Any regard to my last question of what type of information is being sent when connecting to their network via radio?

I'm not doing anything wrong. I have always wanted to have a police radio, and I will have one soon. Atleast while I know I'm not doing anything wrong with mine, that doesn't say or stop others from doing worse.
I'm also a gun owner. You don't and won't see me doing anything related to guns at all.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm so confused.. what is a ham licensed required for? I just want to be able to hear the police communications via a handheld device when I am out and about.
These walkie talkies are FCC compliant as far as I know and the stickers reveal.

What about the bug out bag, deeply confused about that as well. There's no marketing scheme there, it's just what I want to have. If you don't want a bug out bag, don't make one, and don't fill it with **** you won't need...

Ever packed clothes for vacation? There's a bugout bag technichally.

Ok the system you want to listen to is a trunked system. Read this link: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics#Trunking for a quick lesson on what that means.

FCC compliant means nothing, you are in Canada, and the RF spectrum is managed, with in Canada, by Industry Canada.

You, based on your radio knowledge, or obvious lack there of, should get a scanner. Simply put, you do not posses the skills, nor will most people on this board, program a Motorola type 2 trunk radio for you.

While a Motorola radio, with the correct feature set, can be programmed to listen passively to the system you wish to listen to, can very easily be programmed wrong and will affiliate with the system. The chances of being triangulated are small, even if they know the radio is there.

I am guessing, simply because while I may have been born at night, I was not born last night, that you probably do not want to be caught in the act of what ever you are doing 'when you need to listen'. The bag you are reefering to is probably not a 'bug out' bag at all...

If you feel you must listen to the police you your self a favour and buy a scanner. You really have no need to have a transmit capable radio. Modern scanner are both smaller and lighter than most trunk system subscriber radios

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
OK in plain English:

On a trunking system, EVERY radio has to be associated with the system in order to hear the system. When the radio is associated (affiliated) with the system, the radio has to have an ID number. You have to have permission from the person (or company or government agency) in charge of running the system in order to have a radio programmed (by them at a price probably) in order to hear the radio transmissions. They are probably NOT going to give anyone permission to have a radio on their system. IF you where to purchase a radio (usually $1,000's) to use on the system, then you would have to have the proper programming in order for it to work. And (just for the sake of argument) IF you were to somehow come across that programming-let's say not by going through the proper channels (getting permission and programmed by the radio techs)-and your radio ID number shows up in the system (either at the dispatch console or in the computer controlling the system) and if either the dispatch or the computer recognizes that your radio ID is not programmed to be on the system, then the system will "brick" your radio, basically making it as useful as a brick to listen to the system.

The best way to listen to a trunking system is to purchase a trunking capable scanner (ranging $200-$500) and programming it to the system you want to hear. That way you are not breaking any rules.

As far as the ham license goes, there are some areas that have laws against people not having a legitimate reason (firefighter, EMS, volunteer) or a ham license having a scanner or two-way radio in their vehicle. I am not familiar with laws in Canada, but I know here in Tennessee, it is illegal to have the scanner/radio in your car if you're a convicted felon or if you are committing a crime. I have seen police officers question people about having the scanner in their car, even though they were not breaking the law. But in the law it says it is OK to have the scanner/radio in the car IF you have a ham license (which I do and carry a copy of it with me everywhere I go, just in case).

So your best bet is to buy the trunking scanner unless you want to pay $1,000's for a radio, and try and get it programmed legally (which probably won't happen).

I hope this helps you understand what everyone else has been trying to explain to you.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Might as well do yourself a favour and save your money.

York will be rolling out a new system later this year and YRPD will be fully encrypted. No radio you can buy will be able to listen.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
OK so if you had to show someone a couple handhelds that can access this "Motorola_Type_II_SmartNet" network please do. I'm at a loss here. Not trying to be rude or anything, but I just don't understand this lingo. Just want a handheld device to have it ready, and place it in my backpack for whenever it might be required.

Guessing there is other 'stuff' in there too. No I am not showing you what the subscriber subscriber radios look like, look on eBay of XTS 5000, or XTS 3000 or XTS 2500, you want a U band... If you can not figure that out, get a scanner. In most places accessing, or affiliatingto, a trunk network with out proper authorization is illegal, and can result in jail time, and very large fines. Also you WILL be on police radar for a LONG time, and they will really NOT like it. Some even feel this kind of stupidity leads to encryption, resulting in everyone not being able to listen.

I see

Now with this trunked system, this is possible for them to triangulate you?

The address that it gives when connecting to the network, is this a MAC address, serial number of the device, or what sort of information (if you know) does this request.

I would imagine they would only be able to track if you are sending, not just receiving?

Basically I just want a handheld radio to know when police are in the area, there are lots of sketchy things in my area and sometimes it's better to be aware

The radio transmits a unique radio ID number that is assigned to it during the programming process, this number is unique to the radio, unless an unauthorized radio, improperly programmed, uses an already in use number. This can cause serious issues, even put people in danger. Also usually the offending RID is seen affiliating with talkgroups it should not be( IE a police RID showing up on transit talk groups, or fire talkgroups)

There are ways to force a subscriber radio to transmit, with out the 'owner of the radio' knowing. Triangulation is one method to locate the radio, another is time of arrival to get bearings to the transmitters location. Think LoJack... 4 antennas and a little display that shows the direction that the signal is coming from.

And how can I prevent being noticed on their network at all? In my opinion that would be utterly useless if they were only knowing my location each time I connected for a few minutes just to listen.

By not using a subscriber radio. Simple as that, get a scanner.

Any regard to my last question of what type of information is being sent when connecting to their network via radio?

I'm not doing anything wrong. I have always wanted to have a police radio, and I will have one soon. Atleast while I know I'm not doing anything wrong with mine, that doesn't say or stop others from doing worse.
I'm also a gun owner. You don't and won't see me doing anything related to guns at all.

The radio's RID, that is assigned to it when the trunk personality is programmed. Well as long as you get a scanner you will not be doing anything wrong... Keep that in mind...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I have always wanted to have a police radio, and I will have one soon.

If York goes encrypted as Mike said, then you possessing a radio that would allow you to unencrypt the signals will land you in jail. At least here in the US.

And if you want to spend $1,000's on a radio and maybe get lucky to get it programmed, then you will. And you will take the chance of getting caught with a illegal radio and going to jail. Or at the very least spending $10,000's for that radio after they find you and fine you. You might get lucky and find one cheaper than $1,000, but I just don't like spending $100's on a radio that may or may not work. I want to be able to make sure it works. I've heard too many horror stories of people buying radios that are supposed to cost $1,000's for $100's and getting shafted. Either the radio doesn't work, or has been stolen and is useless because the buyer can't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.