CAP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have a few questions reguarding the Civil Air Patrol.

First, What is the Primary Purpose of the CAP? Auxillary Air force is what?

Second, On CAP Channels 1 thru 8. in the 143 - 149 Mhz. band, of these how much is "In the Clear Non-Encrypted non-digital?"

Third, Does CAP utilize a Standard CTCSS tone for FM-VHF Frequencies?

Lastly, How is RR-DB Logging their frequencies, on a State By State basis? or Do we even have a Federal/Military section as of yet?

Thanks.

Joseph11

1. Civil Air Patrol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. In my area, all of it is analog with no encryption or voice inversion. I don't even think their current radios are capable of encryption or voice inversion. Some members use modified HAM gear, but that's currently being phased out in favor of new NTIA approved radios.

3. All simplex uses 100.0 Hz, but the repeaters use various PL tones. For example, here is the CAP's radio layout for the State of New Jersey:

• 148.1500 S - Channel 1 (Primary National Simplex) - PL 100.0 Hz
    148.1250 S - Channel 2 (Secondary National Simplex) - PL 100.0 Hz
    148.1375 S - Channel 3 (Ground Tactical Simplex) - PL 100.0 Hz
    149.5375 S - Channel 4 (Air-to-Ground and Air-to-Air Simplex) - PL 100.0 Hz
    143.9000 S - Channel 5 (National Simplex) - PL 100.0 Hz
    143.7500 S - Channel 6 (National Simplex) - PL 100.0 Hz
    148.1250 R - Channel 7 (Hammonton, NJ Repeater) - PL 77.0 Hz
    148.1250 R - Channel 8 (Ledgewood, NJ Repeater) - PL 141.3 Hz
    148.1250 R - Channel 9 (Lakehurst, NJ Repeater) - PL 173.8 Hz
    148.1250 R - Channel 10 (Franklin Lakes, NJ Repeater) - PL 103.5 Hz

Channels 1-4 are the same nationwide. Channels 5 and 6 are repeater inputs, but can be used for simplex.

SCPD

QRT
Outstanding, Thanks for the Link, have it saved. My List Includes most of those frequencies. Plus two which are designated Base to Base. 142.2625-1, 143.7625-2. 3 defined as Discrete (Classified Use) A-161.5875, B-161.9875, C-164.0000. Another 3 designated as DIGITAL REPEATERS: 1-149.875, 2-149.9100, 3-149.9250. then they List all 14 ISR Frequencies. But it looks like (and sounds) like CAP is pretty Low Tech. Thankyou for the reply.

Joseph11

None of those Base to Base or Discrete (Classified Use) are in the CAP Communications Manual, but that doesn't mean that they're not used. This what the what manual has for packet radio:

• 149.8950 S - Packet Data - CSQ
    149.9250 S - Packet Data (in select parts of the Canadian Border) - CSQ

red8

what is the responsibility of theCivil Air Patrol

iHaving served proudly in the CAP for 5 years, I will explain the functions to you we come under the command of the Aerospace
Rescue Command of the USAF from Richard-Gaboers Air Force
Base in Cape Girardo, Mo. The national headquarters for Civil Air Patrol is located at Maxwell Air Force Base Montgomery, Alabama.
When the Civil Air Patrol was first founded they would patrol
the East and West coasts and the Gulf of Mexico to be on the lookout
for any sign of enemy ships coming with in US waters. I f an enemy
ship was spotted they would notify the proper authorities and they
(the authorities) would then come out and bomb the enemy ship.
Now a days the CAP is one of search & rescue and assisting with
local official in natural disasters looking for survivors. The Cadet
program (of which I was proud to be part of) involves educating
young people about Aerospce education, military courtesy, and
discipline. Cadets also get the opprotunity to receive scholarships
to participate in ROTC at some of the nations finest colleges.
Infact Cadets have worked side-by-side with adult members known
as Senior members during actual missons involving search and rescue
and disaster relief services. For more info go to www.civilairpatrol.com.
red8

elk2370bruce

And the point of this free public service announcement is? What does sorry attempt at volunteer recruiting have to do with scanning? Lame, Sorry, and Weak.

nexus

MaxTracker said:
I have a few questions reguarding the Civil Air Patrol.

First, What is the Primary Purpose of the CAP? Auxillary Air force is what?

Second, On CAP Channels 1 thru 8. in the 143 - 149 Mhz. band, of these how much is "In the Clear Non-Encrypted non-digital?"

Third, Does CAP utilize a Standard CTCSS tone for FM-VHF Frequencies?

Lastly, How is RR-DB Logging their frequencies, on a State By State basis? or Do we even have a Federal/Military section as of yet?

Thanks.

Maxtracker, the Primary Purpose of CAP is tri-fold.. Emergency Services, Aerospace Education, and the Cadet Program.

CAP is the official Aux. of the United States Air Force. Originally formed back in 1941, CAP was a group of civilan pilots why provided shore patrol to spot for german U-BOATS. CAP has 2 confirmed sinkings of U-BOATS when CAP flyers would drop bombs from their private aircraft onto U-Boats threatening the US. After WWII The military disbanded CAP. But later on in 1947 The president re-instated CAP again. The Airforce seperated from the Army, and this is when CAP became the official aux. of the USAF. The missions have been the same since then. Aerospace Education, to teach the general public about aviation from it's past, present and future. Many CAP members go into schools and educate teachers on aviation and spaceflight which in turn take their new knowledge to their students. CAP maintains a large cadre of proficent private pilots, certified flight instructors and the like. They perform important AIR SEARCH & RESCUE, and other humanitarian missions with CAP provided aircraft.

Another Mission of CAP is Emergency Services. Did you know that CAP performs 80% of all downed/missing aircraft search and rescue in the US? When an aircraft crashes it's ELT (emergency Locating Transmitter) sends out a signal that is monitored by the Air Force Rescue Cordination Center via satellites. These satellite triangulate a general location of the signal, and create a MISSION NUMBER for CAP, they then call the WING (or state) that the signal is found in, and from the WING level, the Wing Commander contacts the closest UNIT who then puts together an aircrew and ground crew to go search. Then they work together with their communications gear to track and direction find from both air and ground until they locate the source. In almost all air crashes or ELT activations CAP is involved with the search.

They also perform humanitarian missions in Emergency Services like providing vital communications into and out of stricken distaster areas, provide a backup communications resource for the USAF, by maintaining nightly nets with their equipment, they peform missing person searches, assisting state and local agencies, they are usually trained to do mountain search & rescue, and disaster relief.

And the third mission being the cadet program. This is where the youth of america between 13 years old and 18 years old get a taste of what military life is like. Think JROTC from highschool. It's very much like that. The Cadet program gives these kids the ability to experience first hand how the military operates. They learn military customs and courtesies(sp), they learn drill, they wear the USAF uniforms with special CAP insigna, they have a rank structure that goes from Cadat Basic all the way up to Cadet Colonel. Each rank is issued when the cadet achieves specific tasks, lenght in service, and tests in both leadership and aerospace education. Each rank becoming increasingly difficult. Once a Cadet achieves the Billy Mitchell award or Cadet Warrant Officer, they can go into the USAF and come out of basic training with the rank of Airman First Class. So for a lot of kids who are already interested in joining the military, they use this as a jumping point to get ahead. They learn a lot of stuff in just a few short years in the program.

Each cadet gets the chance to fly in CAP aircraft. Each time that a cadet goes up, he'll learn different things about flight, and usually they will each get a turn at the yoke (controls) of the aircraft. (I did several times *grin*) There are a lot of special events for cadets to get involved with. One thing is the International Air Cadet Exchange program, this is where CAP cadets from the US are chosen from their peers and superiors as being exceptional and they get to go to another country on an exchange program and for several weeks they'll live in that country and learn of their customs and stuff. This is all paid for by CAP. Other country's cadets do the same thing by coming here. Another thing is TYPE-A encampments. A Type-A is a 9 day camp where hundreds of cadets from an entire wing, or sometimes multiple wings will get together on a host USAF BASE and will live the life of the military for that 9 days. They'll be exposed to all of the missions on that base. For example here in Mississippi, MS cadets go to Columbus AFB in Columbus MS which is one of the major student pilot program bases. This is where new airforce officers go to learn to be pilots, they fly the T-37 and then Graduate to the T-38 and then from there they get assigned to an aircraft they'll fly in the AF, like a transport or fighter etc. Anyhow for 9 days these cadets will go to that base, live on the base, eat in the same chow halls as the student pilots on the base, they'll go to the same courses that student pilots go through, egress, flight principle, etc. they'll get to go to security forces and learn the job of security forces, they'll go to the air traffic control tower and learn about ATC, they'll go to RAPCON and learn about radar aproach and control, they'll go to the crash/fire dept. and learn all about that, and so on. You get the idea. It's quite an experience. Oh and they get to fiy the T-37/T-38 Flight Simulators (you know the 5million dollar ones on hydrolics) (I did this several times too *grin again*)

So those are the primary purpose of the Civil Air Patrol.

When I was in it, there was no such thing as encrypted or digital two-way. I seriously doubt they do have it. Until recently CAP used HAM RADIO GEAR. But changes in the spectrum management in the USAF has forced CAP to drop all HAM RADIOS and they're being required to get commercial gear. I know no one in the Mississippi wing is using encrypted. I don't think its going on. So everything should be IN THE CLEAR.

Yes, CAP does use CTCSS simply because there are only a few repeater pairs that are used throughout the entire US. The primary being 148.150/143.900 mhz NFM. So when you have 1500 repeaters on 148.150/143.900 you tend to want to have it PL toned. For the majority of the US they'll be using those freqs. Just program 148.150 and you'll hear stuff if you're close enough. 148.125 is the other repeater output. Joseph provided you with the majority of what will be used.

kjfswkr

Lighten up

elk2370bruce said:
And the point of this free public service announcement is? What does sorry attempt at volunteer recruiting have to do with scanning? Lame, Sorry, and Weak.

Elk,
A memeber asked a question and another answered the question. I love it when people are so quick to jump down someones throat.

Kevin

trace1

Psa

elk2370bruce said:

Well while we’re all entitled to our respective opinions the frequencies listed can easily be entered into anyone’s scanner or HT to be monitored by any who just may happened to be interested in doing so.

CLB

The correct link is www.cap.gov

By "low tech", what do you mean? I hardly call the EFJ's and XTS3000's we have low tech. Maybe it's just my Wing, but all of our equipment is modern, new commercial/ military grade and fresh off the manufacturer's assembly plant. It's rare to see any of our radios older than 4-5 years. Next to the USMC, CAP is the primary user of the 4008M ISR, which was just put out on to market not too long ago.

Each wing trains for the same thing, yet specializes in a few specific areas. Ie: in SC, we train for hurricane ops as well as SAR, disaster relief etc...For example, in the event of a hurricane, or something else that requires evac, we can bolt a analog, digital or trunked 800mhz repeater in any of our aircraft, recon fly the evac routes, send pictures via sat phone from any aircraft to an incident commander's e-mail address and speak directly with a command post (running a comm center happens to be my job), highway patrol, sheriff's/ police offices/ EMS, USAF, USCG...you name it. We also have a system dubbed ARCHER (the only system in the world in an aircraft) which can basically find a flea turd on a needle in a haystack the size of Texas. Ie: because of this system, we have made the days of hiding mary jane with tomato plants a thing of the past. http://atg.cap.gov/downloads/FINAL VERSION ARCHER Technical Fact Sheet.pdf Check that out. You'd be surprised to know what we've done with all this stuff so far.

We no longer use modified ham gear, it's all required to be NITA/ P25 compliant with sunset dates on most models. Yes, we are slowly going digital/ encryption. Major PITA for us commos re-training whole squadrons how to use this stuff.

Packet radio is no longer used.

edit: 100th post. WOOT!

Last edited:

Yokoshibu

oh and all of our repeaters are going to be P-25 capable and narrowband compliant in a matter of months....

______
Did you know that CAP performs 80% of all downed/missing aircraft search and rescue in the US? When an aircraft crashes it's ELT (emergency Locating Transmitter) sends out a signal that is monitored by the Air Force Rescue Cordination Center via satellites. These satellite triangulate a general location of the signal, and create a MISSION NUMBER for CAP, they then call the WING (or state) that the signal is found in, and from the WING level, the Wing Commander contacts the closest UNIT who then puts together an aircrew and ground crew to go search. Then they work together with their communications gear to track and direction find from both air and ground until they locate the source. In almost all air crashes or ELT activations CAP is involved with the search.
________

the air force is responsible for inland search and rescue of ELT's and that is basically deligated out to CAP... the GOES satelites carry 121.5 and 243 repeaters and the Air Force Rescue Cordination center tasks out states (civil air patrol wings) to go find the ELT's ... most pilots know of us... especially if they replaced thier ELT cause it wasnt working.... I kid you not I know of one CAP found in a UPS sorting center and it was being returned to the manufacturer cause it was "not working"! we found it... it worked fine!

nexus

I've been on several ELT/EPIRB searches in the past. I can see from some of the posts on here that a lot has changed since I've been in. I left the organization back in 1997. And spent 10 years in it from a cadet all the way to a 1st LT. as a Senior Member. and my unit's Communications Officer. Callsign Mockingbird 484. That's pretty cool that they're going to APCO25. That obviously hasn't happened here yet.

Yokoshibu

the sunset dates for the wideband equipment and transition dates for narrowband came out just after you left... the dates may or may not be FOUO but the FREQ's are FOUO now cause they are still owned by the DOD. A few years ago the determination was made that we have to follow dod policies on purchasing so we have to aquire p25 compatible stuff... even though every other AFB is on one or the other UHF band (with a few exceptions on vhf) and every other city is on 800 high or lowband (from the current rebanding) ... we are P25 to be interoperable and on the wrong freq cause its the guberment !

I'll tell you they better take the lessons learned from katrina and start working on a true top down solution ... oh and BTW there is a chance they will have a new position at DHS for a Communications czar to organize all federal agencies! ... uhm duh we need that!

trace1

I heard Alabama "Goldenrod" CAP units transmitting on 148.1250MHz yesterday (19 Aug 2006), sounded like a training/exercise mission taking place.

CLB

trace1 said:
I heard Alabama "Goldenrod" CAP units transmitting on 148.1250MHz yesterday (19 Aug 2006), sounded like a training/exercise mission taking place.

Most likely was. Here in SC, we just completed a large field training exercise. It's that time of year.

Saw your post on the military.com forum as well.

trace1

CLB said:
Saw your post on the military.com forum as well.

Uh oh, I’ve been found out... ;)

Just trying to see if any of those who may have participated in that training/exercise may have been on that site or even over here, trying to "spark" some interest in the CAP's capabilities and it’s missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.