Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB46

I have cat I give so much attention too, shes is pretty much a dog. Follows you around, tries to jump on me. In the beginning it was rough but she is very adept at when I don't like when she does something. She can get guilty like a dog when scolded.
Our cat, Muffin, usually stopped doing something bad when hearing "Muffin, No!" He'd obey, but sometimes look at me with what appeared to be a scowl, then he'd grunt in a tone that sounded like "**** you!", and walk off in a huff.

Another word he recognized was "kitty". He heard it the first time when my partner happened to see someone else's cat just outside the window, and called out "Muffin, look at the kitty!" From then on we had to be careful about using that word, because Muffin would rush to look out a window when the venetian blinds were closed, and wind up caught between the slats. They were harmless, as they were made of flexible vinyl, but we still had to extricate him.

CrabbyMilton

The one on the left actually looks comfortable on that. He does look grouchy though. The other one is cute and the picture snapped at the right time.

GB46

Mine hate the smell of dryer sheets. Put a sheet at the scanner.
Mine couldn't bear the smell of oranges. He'd squint, possibly because the fumes from the citric acid made his eyes smart, and then he'd back away. Maybe an unpeeled orange near your radios would keep your cats away from your equipment.

Toys are only a temporary distraction, and a cat can eventually tire of them. Mine showed no interest in catnip, either; at least, he didn't seem to feel any effect from it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I’d be more concerned about placing the cats priorities over yours just to please your significant other. Just ask him in a very blunt fashion what’s most important to him.
That's not how it is. I also want a cat in the future. My inquiry is more about how to prevent a possible issue because I am not well experienced with them. I know some cats are lazy and don't move and others jump on everything.

xicarusx

Feed Provider
That's not how it is. I also want a cat in the future. My inquiry is more about how to prevent a possible issue because I am not well experienced with them. I know some cats are lazy and don't move and others jump on everything.

Cats hate peppermint oil, sticky things, plastic wrap and aluminum foil. They also hate loud noises.

danesgs

Some interesting facts about cats. (cat people know this already). Cats have scent glands in their whiskers, when they rub their face against you, they are marking you as one of their tribe (family). When a cat head butts you it means they are either concerned, hurting or trying to tell you something is wrong. Cats were considered deities by the Egyptians due to their behavior. Wild cats, Tigers, pumas, Lions and panthers; will give a certain look right before an attack. It the same with domesticated cats that prowl prey. The look is extremely slow pounce preparation and moving side to side.

Cats can form extremely secure bonds with dogs, even considering them, the dogs, as another cat. When this happens the cat will take on behaviors of the canine as to follow the Alpha male dog. Female dogs have been known to adopt stray kittens as puppies and raise them as such. Cats can see in color where dogs see in shades of grey. This is due to the fact that they have two cone pigments where humans have 3. They also do not interpret the color the way humans do. The cat also sees better in darkness than a canine with the exception of wolves, they are also more light sensitive than dogs. Yet dogs have 5 more times the sense of smell than cats.

Lastly cats can send Morse code at 15 words per minute where dogs are stuck at 5....of course its in "Cat code" and means nothing to the human reading it :)

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Cats hate peppermint oil, sticky things, plastic wrap and aluminum foil. They also hate loud noises.

Both my cats, and my old one all loved playing with plastic wrap. They roll around on it and chew on it. The other stuff they don't like.

My one eyed cat, Wink, who from the day I got her was kind of "jumpy", has become a nervous wreck due to the construction of an assisted/independant senior complex next door. It's almost done after more than 2 years of banging, yelling, back up beeping, diesel engines revving, and horns honking. She twitches, jumps, acts like she has electric shocks going through her when she hears just about any noise coming from outside or in the hall of my apartment building. My other cat, Timmy, cares nothing about those noises, except the very loudest ones, which cause him to put his ears back for a few seconds. All he really worries about is food, and getting out into the hallway. He got out yesterday and usually it takes 30-45 minutes to get him tired enough to catch, but I lucked out when a neighbor who talks very loudly came out and said, "Hi Timmy!". He was in a panic to get back inside the apartment, so no following him around and waiting for him to run out of gas.

n1das

My wife and I have 4 cats. I've never hard a problem with them getting into my radio stuff. They aren't interested at all. We had one cat years ago that liked to chew on the end of the antenna on my handhelds. The teeth marks were there.

One of our cats likes to jump vertically from the floor into my arms on the way to my shoulders. He does it for my wife too. We don't have to bend down to pick him up anymore. He does it on command when he wants some attention. He is pretty good about asking before jumping up. I know that look he gives me when he wants to jump up. He jumps up on command 100% of the time for a treat. With high value treats, he will do it multiple times in a row for treats.

Cats that are allowed to free feed are not very trainable. They are more trainable when the are not allowed to free feed. Our cats are indoor (only) cats and get fed twice a day. They are not allowed to free feed but we do give them cat treats here and there as rewards for good behavior.

You CAN train your cat to jump into your arms:

We did not need to use the techniques in the training video. He started doing it on his own when he wanted attention and when I had treats in my hand for him.

Last edited:

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I have a cat , and just learned that I like him more than any of my radio equipment or keyboards. He only jumps on my desk when he is hungry and I am ignoring him. He loves plastic wrap and is indifferent to aluminum foil and sticky tape. They're easy animals to take care just have to watch them, as they don't tell you as easily as dogs do when they are sick. Male cats are very commonly prone to urine issues at middle age. (My cat had to make two emergency animal ER trips last winter for this, and is now on very expensive prescription food.)

Also get a water spray bottle. If you use the word NO at the same time you use the bottle, he/she will learn that NO is no and stop. Mine does. (For the most part...)

Two more fact about cats. They are far-sighted. They can't see up close. And when a cat bobs his head up and down before jumping, they have the ability to gauge the distance of the surface they are jumping on from their body length, with incredible accuracy. The motion is how they gauge it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
My fiances mom used the water bottle thing to keep her cat off the kitchen counter. Two or three times and she has never jumped on it again.

So it sounds like the majority of them could care less and the select few that might try to climb the coat rack antenna would get a water spray.

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
I don't have this problem yet, the wife does, she has two computers on her desk and the cat feels she is being neglected if she is not in the touch zone..

Attachments

• Kalley.jpg
    Kalley.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 12

danesgs

This was the American Bobtail it took a year to trust me after being abandoned by previous owners across the street. He is very high strung with loud noises, he gets along with the "Night Crew" I feed out back which is a Possum, 2 skunks, a larger Tuxedo cat, an all black female called "Midnight" and the occasional fox.

IMG_20200718_182123(1).jpg

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Cats are all individuals and some felines may create havoc with humans engaged in radio hobbies. I had one cat many years ago that enjoyed chewing on rubber duck antennas attached to radios. He never damaged the radios or the antennas to the point where the antennas became non-functional. My current feline does not chew on anything but food, does not intentionally knock over radios or play with coax in any way shape or form. Most of my antennas are outdoors but a few are indoors, suspended from the ceiling so my cat will never get to them. If I say to my feline companion, in a loud and commanding voice, "no", he will not engage in the act that I forbid him to do. Personally, if I had to choose between having all the radios that I wanted or having only cats with no radios, I would elect to possessing cats as they provide company and companionship that radios cannot provide. I don't believe that I will ever be in the position of having to make a choice like this. Cats and radios will be with me until the day I die. The below photos were taken in my Winter radio room, a space that is easy and cheap to heat.

Attachments

• 100_4805.JPG
    100_4805.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_4846.JPG
    100_4846.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Sparky_ND

Never had a problem with the cats bothering my radio gear til two days ago, when a sma connector failed to support the weight of my 15 pound russian blue/norwegian forest cat.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
The feline ruler of the household tends to leave the main radio room alone aside from walking on the tables and once in a great while manipulating the main tuning dial of the ICOM 756 PRO III HF radio. It's possible that the Master Species Member (cat) has his human valet (me) well trained.

Attachments

• 100_4978.JPG
    100_4978.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_4979.JPG
    100_4979.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_4980.JPG
    100_4980.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_4981.JPG
    100_4981.JPG