• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Gods hate me .... Ebay LMR 400 is no good?

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
ok.... the RG8 goes onto the RigExpert and never hits the plastic top of the RigExpert it screws on and stops like a normal fitting....... the RG8 was the only one giving me a good SWR.....
.I put a 90 degree elbow connector on the RigExpert as tight as I could.....and tightened the connector in my vise... I then spun the RigExpert in circles... as seen in three pictures..... I then put the LMR400 and again could spin the RigExpert in circles... it does make a connection but it hits the RigExpert and bottoms out so I can't screw it on anymore and when this happens the saw teeth of the connector don't engage I can spin the RigExpert in circles.... but it does seem to give me an SWR reading... I took a picture of the RG8 and LMR 400 I also have as requested some pictures of the RigExpert..... hopefully someone may see something???? now the plastic cover at the top of the RigExpert.... when I had the top of the RigExpert off, I can push the plastic in a little but I didn't want to break it.... so even though the LMR400 is touching the threads and the pin is inside the fingers of the RigExpert do you think the SWR is off???..... thanks again for all the help... I honestly don't think anything is wrong... the RigExpert works... the antenna seems like new and the LMR400 works fine on a dummy load... but something is stopping me from getting a working SWR... and I don't want to put this thing up 32 feet without knowing everything is working correctly.
Interesting. I haven't messed with PL-259's in years, but I seem to recall the center pin always stuck out past the threaded part. But I could remember wrong.

niceguy71

And pictures of the very ends of the LMR400 cable
I just posted some pictures on a reply someplace
This sounds like it could well be an issue; pop the casing and see what’s going on in there as the 259 shouldn’t foul the casing…it sounds like there may be either damage or just a loose connector that needs sorting. The AA-170 (and probably the AA-54 too) does not have an internal cable as the SO239 pin connects directly to the board via a soldered jumper…

View attachment 147947
I wish that picture showed how much of the threads stick up past the casing.. I think that maybe my issue

niceguy71

Interesting. I haven't messed with PL-259's in years, but I seem to recall the center pin always stuck out past the threaded part. But I could remember wrong.
your right... on my connectors, the pin is flush... my LMR400 the pin is flush.... my Tram 3500 the pin sticks out a little as does the RG8 so maybe it is the LMR400... I had started a return and cancelled it as everyone said if the dummy load and the ohm meter tests show it is ok.

Attachments

• 90 elbow conector.jpg
    90 elbow conector.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 13

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
your right... on my connectors, the pin is flush... my LMR400 the pin is flush.... my Tram 3500 the pin sticks out a little as does the RG8 so maybe it is the LMR400... I had started a return and cancelled it as everyone said if the dummy load and the ohm meter tests show it is ok.
Maybe, maybe not. It may be a combination of the center pin being recessed and what looks like not enough threads on the sweep gear. So maybe a perfect storm.

smittie

I always wonder how much I can trust the meter, whatever meter I happen to be using. So many things influence what the meter sees. Environmental, buildings, wires, electrical current. As well as the construction of the devices itself.

Especially when the reading is particularly good, that always makes me doubt the test device.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think your LMR cable has Type "N" connectors on each end which would explain why you are having all of these problems. You cannot mate PL259/SO239 with Type N male or female without an adaptor. Please post a picture of both ends of the LMR400 cable looking into the end of the connectors. I would be surprised if nothing is stripped or damaged....

niceguy71

I think your LMR cable has Type "N" connectors on each end which would explain why you are having all of these problems. You cannot mate PL259/SO239 with Type N male or female without an adaptor. Please post a picture of both ends of the LMR400 cable looking into the end of the connectors. I would be surprised if nothing is stripped or damaged....
I'll do that later... the ends.... threads on PERFECTLY it just hits the plastic of the RigExpert before the sawtooth part of the SO239 can lock it in place... I have taken a barrel connector that fits on everything I own ( I don't own any N connectors.... ) and put it on the LMR400 then plugged that barrel connector onto my Tram 3500 and the SWR was good

RFI-EMI-GUY

Well it appears your LMR-400 has PL259 connectors. And that is good. However, they should not spin loosely when mated with an SO239 on the Rig Expert, the antenna, or the radio.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
wow big difference!
I think you have several issues at play. The threads on those connectors appear to start pretty far from the edge, the center pin sits back a little and the connector on the sweep gear seems to have very few threads. Combine all those and stuff isn't making good contact. Just my opinion though.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think you have several issues at play. The threads on those connectors appear to start pretty far from the edge, the center pin sits back a little and the connector on the sweep gear seems to have very few threads. Combine all those and stuff isn't making good contact. Just my opinion though.
There were some Japanese version PL259 connectors that did not follow the Amphenol design and reportedly were problematic when mating with radios. Who knows where these connectors were made, China maybe? His 90 degree adapter might make better contact.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Well it appears your LMR-400 has PL259 connectors. And that is good. However, they should not spin loosely when mated with an SO239 on the Rig Expert, the antenna, or the radio.
They probably spin because they won't screw down far enough for the 2 peaks on the PL-259 to catch on the SO-239 valleys (whatever you call them).

niceguy71

I think your right and why it's been so hard for a complete novice like me to figure out... good thing I have all you guys to help.

niceguy71

There were some Japanese version PL259 connectors that did not follow the Amphenol design and reportedly were problematic when mating with radios. Who knows where these connectors were made, China maybe? His 90 degree adapter might make better contact.
most of my connectors don't fit tight on the RigExpert... but I push them on and hold them in place and it gives me a pretty good SWR... but that THICK HEAVY LMR400 I just couldn't make it do anything.... and now I think it is a combination... I will put the LMR400 onto the antenna again and see if I can rotate the cable.. if not then I think it's good and will play with the RigExpert and once I have two good connections I can see if the antenna is good... if it is I can put my antenna and mast up.... not sure what to do to fix the RigExpert... I could easily cut the plastic casing off the top of the RigExpert and that would allow the connector to screw all the way down... I don't see how the connector could move in the RigExpert??? it is attached to the board and attached to the plastic casing..... I'll look at it closely this weekend... as I said the top plastic casing when I have the RigExpert apart is easily pushed down closer to the board giving me a few extra threads.

niceguy71

Your connectors look like these,what you need is this.
that's amazing!!! your right the bottom of the LMR 400 connectors have octagon shaped flat spots just like in your picture!!!!! ... BUT... I got these from hmmmm I was going to say Times Microwave who has the best stuff.... but I actually got it from E-bay and the E=bay seller could be using those connectors and buying the coax from Times Microwave... ( I hate E-bay... nothing buy cheap Chinese crap)... so I was thinking I got really great Times Microwave coax.... and the reason it was cheaper could be the ends........ and now that I look at the picture the thread housing is much shorter on the LMR400 barrel compared to the RG8 as in the attached picture.

Attachments

• LMR400 and RG8 ends.jpg
    LMR400 and RG8 ends.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 12

lynnsnyder1968

Premium Subscriber
that's amazing!!! your right the bottom of the LMR 400 connectors have octagon shaped flat spots just like in your picture!!!!! ... BUT... I got these from hmmmm I was going to say Times Microwave who has the best stuff.... but I actually got it from E-bay and the E=bay seller could be using those connectors and buying the coax from Times Microwave... ( I hate E-bay... nothing buy cheap Chinese crap)... so I was thinking I got really great Times Microwave coax.... and the reason it was cheaper could be the ends........ and now that I look at the picture the thread housing is much shorter on the LMR400 barrel compared to the RG8 as in the attached picture.
Replace those connectors and you will be good to go. I would ask the seller about them and if they lie negative feedback would be the thing to do.

niceguy71

I think​

lynnsnyder1968 has found the problem!​

now... I want to move slowly... what is my next step???? should I return the LMR400... here is the link..... 1-125' TIMES ® LMR400UF Antenna Patch Coax Cable PL-259 UHF Male CB HAM RF LOT | eBay did I buy the wrong stuff???? is this my fault? it said it had pL259 ends so I thought that was what I needed?? I paid with taxes $113.08 and for that amount I'm not changing the ends.... let me know what you guys would do... thanks for all the advice. Steve​

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
The octagon shaped flat spots are needed to assemble the connector and are not an issue. I’m not sure anything is “wrong” with those connectors, it’s just everything compounded.

I may have missed it, but does the LMR spin when connected to the antenna or just the sweep gear?