• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB RF antenna damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

Is it normal for a radio antenna jack to show a DC short like that?
It depends on the particular radio model.
You would need to look at the schematic and see if the circuits between the antenna connector and PA, filters, or T/R switch have any inductors to ground.
If it has them then it's normal to read a short with a multimeter.

cmdrwill

Well, this is interesting. I have continuity between the center pole of the radio's rear coax connector and the ground (outer barrel). That shouldn't happen.

Is it normal for a radio antenna jack to show a DC short like that?

Most radio receivers have a static discharge circuit in the antenna input. So that is what the "continuity" or "short" is.
These parts can be a resistor, RF coil, to bleed off static charges.

Josh380

Well, turns out the mount and coax checked out ok. It just happens that the one (and only) repeater I was basing my results off of is out of service. Tried another LA based repeater and voila! Works just fine.

Wow. Sometimes I dunno......

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well, turns out the mount and coax checked out ok. It just happens that the one (and only) repeater I was basing my results off of is out of service. Tried another LA based repeater and voila! Works just fine.

Wow. Sometimes I dunno......

It happens to all of us. Sometimes troubleshooting this sort of stuff is sort of like chasing your tail around in circles.

Welcome to the club. Your membership card will be sent to you shortly.

K6EEN

I keep one of those 22 channel blister pack FRS/GMRS walkie talkies handy when debugging the UHF mobile rig (debugging on simplex before trying repeaters).

Josh380

I keep one of those 22 channel blister pack FRS/GMRS walkie talkies handy when debugging the UHF mobile rig (debugging on simplex before trying repeaters).
I do have one..unfortunately the gm300 doesn't have a simplex button..simplex frequencies have to be programmed to their own channel..and I don't have that particular repeater setup for simplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.