• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CE150 programming disk help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloop

I have a VX-264 radio and a CE-150 programming program. I am unable to get the computer to communicate with the radio. The program keeps saying com port error. When I go to alignment it brings up the com port assignment for me to select comport (there is not a com port showing) but will not let me enter anything. What am I doing wrong? Could the cable be bad? How would I check it? Both cable and program are Vertex Standard, not some after market.

cmdrwill

I do not have that problem with my CE150. And I use the older Vertex serial cable.

There is a rather unusual procedure when 'downloading' the radio, having to turn on the radio from a cold start before the s/w 'reads' the radio. Turning on the radio is a part of the signaling between s/w and radio. Kinda old school.

Makes us wonder who wrote this crap they call programming software...........

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Yeh. I wish Vertex would standardize their portables. The old VX-410/417 portables needed to
be switch on first before reading. The later VX-350/354's you turned on after hitting the read
button. Now the newer VX-261/264 portables are back to turning on the radio first. Vertex does
recommend using the FIF12A USB cable rather than serial cable for the later radios and future ones.
Did you check the Vertex menu under "File" and the "Config" choice to see if the correct com port is
selected. Usually its Com 1 for serial cables; you may have choice.

sloop

Yep...checked align but no com port shows and the program will not let me select one. I have tried plug in the cable before and after running import nd same with the radio turned on then off....still 'cannot find radio'

cmdrwill

What programming cable do you have? Maybe missing the driver for the cable?

Also what OS, XP, Win 10?

sloop

I had assumed that the driver was part of the CE-150 program. If it is not then that is the problem. The cable is the right cable (can't remember the number). I guess that I will erase the program and re-install it. I will also look for a driver program for the cable. I have never 'tried' to program anything this difficult before. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.