Changes coming to AA Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayG1176

County Officials said it at a Press Conference Today.

I am not sure where the “Medic-Engine” part will be going away was told because I was told by others it is not. On the other hand, the grant money will give all 7 new medic engines a ALS kit.

marksmith

Heard Rivera Beach Engine 131 response to something a week or so ago.

No reference to "medic engine" but as soon as 131 advised responding, Fire Alarm asked if medic was aboard. Response was affirmative.

Had I not read this thread, I would have considered it a strange question from dispatcher.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

JayG1176

I believe the only time they ident as medic engine is if they have a medic + a ALS kit onboard. It will always be medic engine but chances are they just had a medic on 131

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I believe the only time they ident as medic engine is if they have a medic + a ALS kit onboard. It will always be medic engine but chances are they just had a medic on 131

Agree.

I doubt 13 will become a Medic-Engine house. It probably was just a qualified medic working. Often times you will hear Squad 11 act as a second ALS provider since they often have a trained person working.

JayG1176

Agree.

I doubt 13 will become a Medic-Engine house. It probably was just a qualified medic working. Often times you will hear Squad 11 act as a second ALS provider since they often have a trained person working.

Right now, Stations 10, 5, 31, 40, 41, 20, & 26 Engine companies will be coming Medic-Engines. All medic engines do is have a ALS Provider + a ALS Kit onboard,

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Over the past week or so, I've been hearing "Medical Director 1" being dispatched to MVAs that involve entrapment. Any ideas who this is, and are they based at a station or a hospital?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
That's the doctor under whose authority all EMS in the department operate, since MD requires all EMS to operate under doctor's orders. Guess they're sort of using him like a Fly Surgeon like some european departments do.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
That's the doctor under whose authority all EMS in the department operate, since MD requires all EMS to operate under doctor's orders. Guess they're sort of using him like a Fly Surgeon like some european departments do.

I was assuming it was a doc since they used "Medical Director." The change is the dispatch procedure that includes him/her - that is new. I guess they call them out from home (at night?) Or is it a staff position at a hospital, operating under the Medical Director's authority?

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I was assuming it was a doc since they used "Medical Director." The change is the dispatch procedure that includes him/her - that is new. I guess they call them out from home (at night?) Or is it a staff position at a hospital, operating under the Medical Director's authority?

It is more likely he was at HQ and then was picked up on the call. He has a fire department issued vehicle. I have heard him add himself to calls (cardiac, significant trauma calls, etc.) when he is in the area or in the area of HQ while he is there. Especially with the new CAD and GPS tracking, it could also be why he is added to more significant medical incidents if he is in the area or "on duty."

I do not believe it has any relation to a hospital staff position, it is just he is a medical doctor and has been hired as the position for AAFD.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Here is an article from 2016. I believe this is a paid position now.

Anne Arundel Fire News: Long Serving Medical Director Retires

Thanks - I guess they've recently found somebody to replace the former MedDir - and pays them - so it's reasonable that they respond to serious calls. I imagine that the new MedDir decided that he/she should be added to the serious calls.

Back in the day, I think Montgomery County's Medical Director was a doc at Suburban Hospital, and also oversaw the trauma center there. The position has probably evolved since the 1990's.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
It seems to be evolving rapidly. I've seen a couple counties around where the Medical Director has suddenly been paying a lot of attention to having an appropriately configured radio and starts calling 'on the air' and 'off the air' when transitioning to/from normal work hours. Big change... suddenly taking a 100% administrative position and shifting it to a more operational fly-surgeon capacity.

Gotta say, it makes a ton of sense to have them respond to anything approaching an MCI that needs MAB / Mobile Trauma activation.

JayG1176

It is more likely he was at HQ and then was picked up on the call. He has a fire department issued vehicle. I have heard him add himself to calls (cardiac, significant trauma calls, etc.) when he is in the area or in the area of HQ while he is there. Especially with the new CAD and GPS tracking, it could also be why he is added to more significant medical incidents if he is in the area or "on duty."

I do not believe it has any relation to a hospital staff position, it is just he is a medical doctor and has been hired as the position for AAFD.
He is a head doctor at BWMC, He has his own radio, his own car with red lights and a siren. He is a BWMC Surgeon

JayG1176

Thanks - I guess they've recently found somebody to replace the former MedDir - and pays them - so it's reasonable that they respond to serious calls. I imagine that the new MedDir decided that he/she should be added to the serious calls.

Back in the day, I think Montgomery County's Medical Director was a doc at Suburban Hospital, and also oversaw the trauma center there. The position has probably evolved since the 1990's.
The medical director hasn’t changed in a long time. He works at BWMC and at Fire Alarm headquarters. He oversees all of the EMS in Anne Arundel County. He has his own fire issued vehicle with red lights + siren. His own radio and I believe office at HQ

JayG1176

He can self add to what ever call he would like too, he doesn’t have to wait to be dispatched. He can let fire alarm know he is responding and they will add him to the call. Nothing new has happend

maus92

Premium Subscriber
He can self add to what ever call he would like too, he doesn’t have to wait to be dispatched. He can let fire alarm know he is responding and they will add him to the call. Nothing new has happend

Except that I've heard him/her on more calls recently - so that is a change from my perspective.

Thanks for the info - I had originally suspected he/she was a doc at a local hospital, and you have confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.