Chesapeake Va Scanner Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davechick

Have an older scanner not capable of picking up Chesapeake police/fire any longer... looking at both the Uniden BCD436HP and the Whistler TRX‑1 Scanner... does anyone use these in the Hampton Roads area and have feedback? I mainly listen to police/fire but I also travel all throughout Hampton Roads for my job and enjoy hearing train/airport communications as well? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated by this scanner rookie.

kc4jgc

I don't have either (yet); I can say that either one should work well for you. Uniden has done well in being able to combat digital simulcast distortion (DSD), the bane of many scanners when it comes to digital simulcast systems. I don't know much about the Whistler radios though. What I have heard though has been generally good. I do like that the TRX-1/TRX-2 radios now have DMR capability. I kinda leaning that way for a new scanner because many rural areas I drive through the PD's switched to that mode.

Another unit you may want to look at is the Uniden BCD325P2. I know someone with that scanner; he has absolutely no trouble with DSD at all. That unit heard everything while my Pro-106 stayed silent.

Eugene

Just an FYI.......Go back through the posts in this forum about Chesapeake's new 700 system (first thread started 8/10/17, another started 9/7/17)......about 2/3 of the people are not having good luck with the new system. May be somewhat DSD but also I think the sites are very directional. I have a 396XT from Uniden w/o much luck and I live in the area. It's very hit and miss in driving around the city as well. Anyway.....go back and read those posts before you drop a lot of scratch on a system you may not be able to monitor.

Eugene KG4AVE

fredva

Feed Provider
You might want to see if a Unication radio might meet your needs and would fit within your budget. They have some limitations compared to true scanners and they are fairly expensive, but scanner hobbyists are buying them because they are made to receive simulcast systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.