CHP 700 base differences in database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriW

I'm confused. In the RR database, what is the difference between the 700 MHz base station listings in each CHP division and the items in the table named "Future 700Mhz Base Radio System" shown at the bottom of the CHP page? I ask because the frequencies listed under the divisions do not exist in that other table.

SCPD

QRT
Since no one has answered you I will take a stab at this. Lacking better information I think the base station frequencies listed under the division wide frequencies may be used at the division office only and not at the area offices in each division. I seem to remember that 700 MHz repeaters were installed at the division offices and area offices will come much later. The database does not make that clear so I understand your confusion.

Last edited:

BriW

Since no one has answered you I will take a stab at this. Lacking better information I think the base station frequencies listed under the division wide frequencies may be used at the division office only and not at the area offices in each division. I seem to remember that 700 MHz repeaters were installed at the division offices and area offices will come much later. The database does not make that clear so I understand your confusion.

I know you're just guessing, but that method does not make sense.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Sure it does. CHP has their mobile extender system which uses 700 mhz frequencies to link their portable radio to their car radio to reach dispatch. When they're back at the area offices, they need a way to reach dispatch from their portables there as well, hence the 700 mhz base system.

Neither of these systems are finished, so we have the frequencies listed on a divisional basis (when they have been confirmed and verified) and all together at the end so users may know what to scan if no information is known about their area yet. From what we've seen one 700 base freq is used by all area offices in the same division, hence why they are listed on the divisional level. If you can confirm instances where this is not the case, please submit it.

BriW

Sure it does. CHP has their mobile extender system which uses 700 mhz frequencies to link their portable radio to their car radio to reach dispatch. When they're back at the area offices, they need a way to reach dispatch from their portables there as well, hence the 700 mhz base system.

Neither of these systems are finished, so we have the frequencies listed on a divisional basis (when they have been confirmed and verified) and all together at the end so users may know what to scan if no information is known about their area yet. From what we've seen one 700 base freq is used by all area offices in the same division, hence why they are listed on the divisional level. If you can confirm instances where this is not the case, please submit it.

inigo88, I think you do not understand what has been asked and said with this thread.

SCPD

QRT
inigo88, I think you do not understand what has been asked and said with this thread.

Let's use an example of what you are saying. The first division in the database, Border,shows a base station frequency of 774.33125, but the same frequency is not listed under "Future 700 MHz Base Radio System." Is that what you are saying?

Now inigo88 has stated that the one base station frequency for each division it is listed for is verified in that division as being used at all of the area offices in that division. That part of his statement makes sense. What doesn't make sense is
and all together at the end
because none of the base station extender frequencies listed under divisions and some area offices match those in the table shown under "Future 700 MHz Base Radio System." Some of the frequencies kilohertz portion match, but that is merely coincidental as in each case, and there are only 2-3 of them, they are off a full megahertz.

That sums up what I see. I hope someone can figure this out. I'm going to throw in 774.55625 into my scanner and see if I pick something up next time I'm in Bishop or Bridgeport.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
I think the issue is exactly what Inigo has already stated. This is a system under construction. Some areas aren't even using the 700mhz extender system yet. Let me break this down a little more:

1. The frequencies listed at the Divisional level are CONFIRMED use frequencies.

2. The frequencies listed in the "Future 700mhz..." list are frequencies from an early spreadsheet of frequencies earmarked for this system. Since they are still in this list, and not in a Divisional list or assigned to any other more specific location, these frequencies are still unconfirmed. Look at them as a 'pool' of available frequencies waiting to be assigned. Eventually they will either be used, or changed to the actual frequencies used, or removed altogether. This list of frequencies is a work in progress...

BriW, the tone of your statement to Inigo that he "doesn't understand...this thread" comes off as a little bit insulting to Inigo, considering he is one of our resident 'go-to' guys on the CHP system, and has contributed a lot of time and data towards our understanding of the CHP upgrades. Exsmokey tried to answer your question and all you could say was that he didn't make sense. Inigo, Exsmokey, and everyone who has posted here are trying to help you with your question, yet you respond to them very abruptly and minimize their efforts. Whether you intend it that way, or are being misunderstood, your posts are coming across that way. This board has one of the most helpful group of members I have ever had the pleasure of working with, and they are not trying to lead you astray.

By all means, please continue to monitor the frequencies off that list. That is how we often discover the actual usage. Thank you for your help!!

Just my .02...

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thank you David! I don't recall having this explained before and if it was I don't remember it. I'm glad the issue was raised as otherwise I would not have known to try monitoring the frequency now listed for the Inland Division. I didn't think the listed base station frequency applied to each area office in the division. In hindsight I should have, but it took the above discussion to gain the insight. It might help if a little bit more explanation is given above the future base station frequency table.

Thanks to inigo for his work tracking this system. The discussion of the changes resulting from the CHPERS program hasn't always been easy for me to understand. The implementation of CHPERS has been dynamic and keeping up with it must be rather time consuming.

Last edited:

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks guys, the newest 700 frequencies are from another admin, so I'm not as hip to the latest changes to CHPRS. But I've definitely tried to understand the system and keep up on the changes over the last few years. :)

BriW

I think the issue is exactly what Inigo has already stated.

Actually it isn't. Read it again carefully to see why

BriW, the tone of your statement to Inigo that he "doesn't understand...this thread" comes off as a little bit insulting to Inigo, considering he is one of our resident 'go-to' guys on the CHP system, and has contributed a lot of time and data towards our understanding of the CHP upgrades.

How is saying that you think someone else doesn't understand an insult?

Then tell me: How should I "properly" tell someone that you think they don't understand? Or are you saying that someone should not be told that they don't understand?

This board has one of the most helpful group of members I have ever had the pleasure of working with, and they are not trying to lead you astray.

I never said anyone is trying to lead me astray. But when a comment does not address the question or other information given, it leads astray. And before you say it did address my question, again, read everything again.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Did my post answer your original question about the CHP 700mhz frequencies? If not, we can try to clarify your original question so that perhaps we can completely answer it, because that is now three different people who have tried to answer the question for you. We may need more clarification if that doesn't do it.

As for the rest, I simply pointed out how your responses sounded to me when I read them. If I misread them, my apologies. I stand corrected. But I will not continue that aspect of this conversation. I have no intention of getting into a debate over that here...let's move on.

kma371

QRT
I guess let me try since I've updated most the the newer CHP stuff.

The short answer to your question is, we don't know.

The CHP freqs are from official documents. Their actual use is unknown as they are not active yet. Once they become active, we will know more. Until then, just put them in your scanner and listen.

Does that help?

scottyhetzel

The CHP freqs are from official documents. Their actual use is unknown as they are not active yet. Once they become active, we will know more. Until then, just put them in your scanner and listen.

Does that help?

Kma371 that makes sense, im planning to monitor all the freq. in my area to see what i get. Im hoping some of the future freq are used as tac frequncies, since i never hear local units on the listed tac freq. . I usually hear outside stations coming across on the tacs. So its kinda of exciting to hear what all members come up with.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin

Why don't you read exsmokey's and my reply again, carefully. If the 700 base frequency for a particular division is known, it is listed in that division. As you can see, the intent of the "Future 700 MHz Base Station" entry is to tabulate everything in one place, should users in areas where the 700 base frequencies aren't known yet wish to discover them. The problem which you asked about (but several of us misunderstood), is that another admin just confessed that when adding confirmed 700 frequencies on the divisional level, he forgot to update the complete list at the end. That is why you see some frequencies not duplicated at the end (unfortunately when I tried to answer you I did not realize this was the case).

Having re-read your original post, this thoroughly answers your question. However, when you answer people who are going out of their way to try and help you with replies like:

BriW said:
I know you're just guessing, but that method does not make sense.
BriW said:

That is cryptic and unhelpful at the very least, and came off as rude to both Duster and myself. If I try to reach out and help you in good faith, and you can't be bothered to elaborate on how you believe I failed to answer your question, then I will be more than happy to ignore your next one.

A simple clarification would have alleviated further misunderstanding.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to further debate the complexities of interpersonal communication on the internet, but I think we have probably led this thread far too off topic already. :)

BriW

Did my post answer your original question about the CHP 700mhz frequencies? If not, we can try to clarify your original question so that perhaps we can completely answer it, because that is now three different people who have tried to answer the question for you. We may need more clarification if that doesn't do it.

No, it really didn't.

Again, why are the 700 base frequencies found in each Division section different from what are shown in the chart at the bottom of the page?

Think of the VRS frequencies. The ones in each Division are in the VRS chart at the bottom. So keeping with that model, why aren't the 700 base frequencies also? Why are they different?

If my question still isn't clear, please state what you don't understand.

BriW

Does that help?

You said that you don't know why the frequencies in the Divisional areas of the database are not also in the chart at the bottom of the page. Seeing that all three of you are database administrators, you do not have the ability to put them there? After all, that is the format of the VRS frequencies.

BriW

Why don't you read exsmokey's and my reply again, carefully. If the 700 base frequency for a particular division is known, it is listed in that division. As you can see, the intent of the "Future 700 MHz Base Station" entry is to tabulate everything in one place, should users in areas where the 700 base frequencies aren't known yet wish to discover them. The problem which you asked about (but several of us misunderstood), is that another admin just confessed that when adding confirmed 700 frequencies on the divisional level, he forgot to update the complete list at the end. That is why you see some frequencies not duplicated at the end (unfortunately when I tried to answer you I did not realize this was the case).

Having re-read your original post, this thoroughly answers your question. However, when you answer people who are going out of their way to try and help you with replies like:

That is cryptic and unhelpful at the very least, and came off as rude to both Duster and myself. If I try to reach out and help you in good faith, and you can't be bothered to elaborate on how you believe I failed to answer your question, then I will be more than happy to ignore your next one.

A simple clarification would have alleviated further misunderstanding.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to further debate the complexities of interpersonal communication on the internet, but I think we have probably led this thread far too off topic already. :)

This wasn't just to help me, this is to help everyone who uses it. And finally you admitted that you did not understand. And notice how I placed the blame on myself: I think you don't understand, I said.

Next time, should I again politely say that you apparently don't understand something--and if so, how do you want that worded so as not to offend you and "come off as rude"?--or should I just ignore your response that does not answer the question? That is a genuine question, because I do not--and never did--want to offend you, and apparently you want that done in a specific way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.