Cleveland National Forest New Forest Net

Teotwaki

LE Net tone X

Late last night I heard xxxA heading to - a location -

Today xxxB checked in with dispatch and inquired about xxxA. Found out they were still out. Dispatch said "forensics" had been called.

A bit after that xxxA tried calling xxxB on LE Net but was unsuccessful.

The incident is public now: Death investigation in Cleveland National Forest affects South Main Divide

A stretch of roadway south of Highway 74 in the Cleveland National Forest near the El Cariso Campground was partly re-opened Sunday as authorities investigated a death in the area.

The Riverside County Sheriff’s office had closed South Main Divide three miles south of Highway 74 around 10:30 p.m Saturday; one lane was opened shortly after 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

Teotwaki

Earlier in the year I met some great guys from SBNF Engine 337 and traded challenge coins with them. So I've finally started paying attention to the CNF engines in the morning lineup as I never knew much about the dispersement and station locations. ;)

I will also cross reference to the Wildweb site Zerg901 shared with us. It's super useful! Thanks Zerg!

Jim
Orange County, CA

Teotwaki

A station identifying as Highpoint contacted dispatch with a smoke report but the interesting thing was the Austrailian (or New Zealand?) accent of the guy. Apparently the location estimate Highpoint radioed in was spot on and dispatch said RivCo fire was headed to the scene.

Jim
Orange County, CA

W6KRU

A station identifying as Highpoint contacted dispatch with a smoke report but the interesting thing was the Austrailian (or New Zealand?) accent of the guy. Apparently the location estimate Highpoint radioed in was spot on and dispatch said RivCo fire was headed to the scene.

Jim
Orange County, CA

Highpoint.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
In the last two weeks I've heard some interesting traffic on CNF Forest Net. In both cases, there was law enforcement activity in the SBNF where either a USFS facility (Del Rosa) or USFS road (Lytle Creek) were closed or put on lockdown. What was interesting is that the activity was announced in CNF. Is there sharing of resources across the different forests outside of wildfire management?

Teotwaki

In the last two weeks I've heard some interesting traffic on CNF Forest Net. In both cases, there was law enforcement activity in the SBNF where either a USFS facility (Del Rosa) or USFS road (Lytle Creek) were closed or put on lockdown. What was interesting is that the activity was announced in CNF. Is there sharing of resources across the different forests outside of wildfire management?

Were you able to note the tone used?

SBNF has Cleveland's Forest Net repeater in their radio channel lineup (# 11) which can act as a backup repeater as well as provide coverage deep into southern facing canyons that elevated SBNF repeaters might not get into. So you could say they are sharing the repeater resource.

US Forest Service - San Bernardino National Forest (CA) - The RadioReference Wiki (needs a correction for input freq)

11CNF 1-12171.4250164.800CNF Frst RptCleveland NF Forest Net Repeater

ecps92

Fixed, BTW anyone can edit the Wiki

Were you able to note the tone used?

SBNF has Cleveland's Forest Net repeater in their radio channel lineup (# 11) which can act as a backup repeater as well as provide coverage deep into southern facing canyons that elevated SBNF repeaters might not get into. So you could say they are sharing the repeater resource.

US Forest Service - San Bernardino National Forest (CA) - The RadioReference Wiki (needs a correction for input freq)

11CNF 1-12171.4250164.800CNF Frst RptCleveland NF Forest Net Repeater

Teotwaki

I am hearing Comm 27 keying up on and asking Cleveland dispatch for audio checks
on Admin Net Tone 5

Jim
Orange County, CA

Teotwaki

Engineer 18(?) with two contractor trucks in the closed down Wildomar OHV area to work on a well. Hopefully this is a sign they are considering reopening the area in 2020.

Call sign list to date:

Brush 288
Comms 22, 27, 28, 29 (not specific to Cleveland - good to listen to for comms tech info)
2Charles1 (supervisor?)
2Edward 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12
Engineer 325
2King 1 & 5 (canine units)
Lookout 03, 41, 50, 51 57, 62 (Palomar)
Patrol 21, 22, 23, 33, 34, 41, 42
Prevention 24
Ranger 2
Rec 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 31
Trails 21
2Tom 2 (LEO Trainee)
Utility 36

Teotwaki

Comm 27 was just testing on LE analog Tone 4 then Forest Net Tone 4. Was checking all Tone 4 (Hi Point) repeaters and finished up.

Paysonscanner

Engineer 18(?) with two contractor trucks in the closed down Wildomar OHV area to work on a well. Hopefully this is a sign they are considering reopening the area in 2020.

Call sign list to date:

Brush 288
Comms 22, 27, 28, 29 (not specific to Cleveland - good to listen to for comms tech info)
2Charles1 (supervisor?)
2Edward 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12
Engineer 325
2King 1 & 5 (canine units)
Lookout 03, 41, 50, 51 57, 62 (Palomar)
Patrol 21, 22, 23, 33, 34, 41, 42
Prevention 24
Ranger 2
Rec 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 31
Trails 21
2Tom 2 (LEO Trainee)
Utility 36

2 Charles 1 is the patrol captain for the Cleveland. LE also has "Lincoln" units. I don't remember where they fit in order of supervision. I think they are a higher level than a Charles unit. I think I've seen the list in late Hubby's notebooks. Then there are some "David" units. They are special agents in charge of law enforcement for a group of forests and all I remember is that the forests near where I lived in the western Sierra foothills was a "central" zone or area. They use a number for the zone and I think there are 4-5 of them in California. The numbers follow the "David" IDer so they don't get confused with national forest IDers. Safety (not just fire but safety on forests with a big workforce)

Back to the Cleveland - the districts are numbered from north to south beginning with a 2 for the Trabuco District, 3 ror Palomar and 4 is the Descanso District. The Supervisor's Office people use 1. Engineers are the drivers/engine operators on each engine. Engine 331 would be a Type 3 engine on the Palomar District. I'm not sure how they assign the 1, 2, 3 . . . . order. This engine would have Captain 331, Engineer, 331, and AFEO (assistant fire engine operator) 331. The Cleveland also shows Apprentice 331 and Senior Firefighter 331. Firefighters identify by "Firefighter, Last Name, Engine Number" or just by "Firefighter - Last Name." I think the AFEO is the assistant captain not the assistant engineer as I believe the job description title for a captain is "Supervisory Fire Engine Operator" (SFEO). The AFEO is the captain on the SFEO's days off when the engine is staffed 7 days. Each Type 3 has 5 people on it daily which requires a crew of 7. The other fire identifiers are well known, Water Tender, Fuels (fuel management), Chief (the forest's fire management officer - FMO), Division (District FMO) and other positions such as dispatch center manager, aviation officer, training officers, etc.; Battalion (sometimes assistant FMO, sometimes suppression battalions assigned by areas of a district), when there is a fire prevention officer they can be called Prevention Battalion, Captain, Engineer. Superintendent (hotshot crews and helitack crews), Air Attack and Utility (chase trucks for engines). There are also patrols, which are Type 7 engines with one person called a FPT (Fire Prevention Technician). Prevention units have a FPT without a tank and pump. "Safety" can either work for fire management or work for an entire national forest. On an incident "Safety" is a designated ICS position.

Rangers are district rangers so on the Cleveland there is Ranger 2,Ranger 3 and Ranger 4. Each ranger district has a variety of people (positions) assigned functionally with those being timber, range, recreation, wildlife and watershed. Those who head up a function are called "Officers" in California, so districts would have Timber Officers, Recreation Officers, etc. These people are usually "Acting District Rangers" as designated by the District Ranger when they are gone. THe lowest level of "line authority" is the district ranger and the primary staff officers are staff and not line officers, unless some line authority is delegated to them by the district ranger. The Cleveland has a lower workload in Timber and Range so they have "Resource Officers" that cover those functions as well as wildlife and watershed. Each district also has a Recreation Officer. Lands is another function that includes special use permits, land exchanges and the very rare land purchases. On many forests and districts Lands is sometimes combined with recreation, especially outside California where workloads ar not as heavy. Archaeologists often work for the Recreation Officer as well. Sometimes they work for resources. If you hear a single number following "Resources" or "Recreation": (always shortened as "Rec") it is one of these staff officers and the number will be the district number. So Rec 4 is the recreation officer on the Descanso district and Resources 2 is the resources officer on the Trabuco district. Rec 1 would be the recreation staff officer in the Supervisor's Office so is in charge of recreation on the whole forest. Another activity that gets a unique identifier is "OHV" which is Off Highway Vehicle management. Those folks work for the recreation officer. Other identifiers you might hear on various forests in California are, Wilderness, Supervisor (Forest Supervisor and Deputy Forest Supervisor), Wildlife, Maintenance, Lands, Special Uses, Hydrology, Aquatics, Silviculture (exams stands of trees and recommends harvest levels, etc.), Adim, Engineering, C&M (construction and maintenance), Construction, PIO (public information officer), PAO (public affairs officer), VIS (Visitor Information Services). Utilities (may include the forest's civil engineers, heavy equipment operators, sewer plant operators, water system operators, plumbers and carpenters), Admin, Repair (fleet mechanics), Botany, Nordic (X Country Ski trails/area management), OSV (over snow vehicles), Trails, Archeology, Ecosystem, and Fisheries, All of this depends on the characteristics of a forest, workloads, transportation complexity and federally owned: buildings/grounds, water systems, sewer systems, roads, bridges, campgrounds, interpretive sites, etc.

"The Notebooks" late Hubby have radio identifier lists for 12-18 national forests around the country, but mostly in California. Late Hubby and I were clueless about Forest Service, National Park Service and BLM organizations for about 5 years after moving to the Sierra foothills. I belonged to a informal women's group in town and we had two district rangers, one USFS and one NPS. They came over for dinner at our place one night and explained this all and bringing the radio identifier lists for their units. The notes Hubby took that night are still in "The Notebooks" that on bookshelves are nearly 48" in width standing upright. The remaining 24" of the radio bookshelf is occupied by old editions of Police Call, Dan Rollman's excellent directories, ham radio books and books with paramedic used terms as well as electric utility terms. My Daddy also has files from Region 3 (AZ NM), but most is older than 1987, the year he retired from the USFS. He is also a great source for USFS, NPS and BLM organization structure as he often worked with and sometimes for those other agencies short term. At 92 he can still type and wrote most of this post.

Sorry for the length of this post. This can be useful information for those listening to these agencies.

Paysonscanner

I should also say that sometimes the USFS has no identifiers in Idaho and Montana, they use the person's last name. This is a long tradition that they don't want to change. On some forests this includes fire management personnel like the FMO's, battalions and such. I will not include Daddy's and my late husband's views on this.

Teotwaki

Relevance unknown: Rec 22 on Misc type incident.- SB OF WILDOMAR OHV AREA - today 11:20.

I think I heard most of that incident. Rec22 spotted a silver Toyota pickup near the closed OHV area and was sure it was someone who got around a closed gate or found an unlocked gate. Rec22 and Edward2 went on about this for a while on the radio but eventually Rec22 caught up with the guy and warned him off. Edwd2 went off to do other things.

Teotwaki

I should also say that sometimes the USFS has no identifiers in Idaho and Montana, they use the person's last name. This is a long tradition that they don't want to change. On some forests this includes fire management personnel like the FMO's, battalions and such. I will not include Daddy's and my late husband's views on this.

Thanks to you and your Dad for all of the excellent information!! When the various USFS folks say something like "Area 22" would it be correct to guess that is a subdivision of the overall Trabuco District (2)?

I have a (very old) map of the previous district numbering for ANF and it seemed to follow a similar pattern as CNF. For instance, the "Mount Baldy Ranger District: had Wilderness Areas (W2, 3, 4, 6) and areas 21 through 26 so District 2 overall. Valyermo included areas 41 through 44 so District 4, etc.

Unfortunately the districts were rearranged into "River" monikers such as the "San Gabriel River Ranger District" , "Los Angeles River Ranger District" and "Santa Clara/Mojave Rivers Ranger District" but maybe they are just numbered 1-2-3.

By the way, during the (way in the past) El Nino that buried the Angeles range I did hear a Nordic callsign of a ranger on skis.

Jim

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
PT21​
Jacob Carothers​
Out of Svc​
CORONA STATION 20/21​
PT22
Joe Faruzzi
In Service
EL CARISO STATION 23/29
PT23​
Tony Beigel​
Out of Svc​
TEMESCAL STATION 22​
PT24​
Alex Donaldson​
Out of Svc​
EL CARISO STATION 23/29​
PT31​
Maria Cordoba​
Out of Svc​
PALOMAR RD OFFICE​

Mike Tucker (detail)​
Out of Svc​
DESCANSO RD OFFICE​
E320**
Type III Engine
Committed
*CNF-158: TRD PILES*
E321**​
Type III Engine​
Out of Svc​
CORONA STATION 20/21​
E322
Type III Engine
Committed
E323**​
Type III Engine​
Out of Svc​
EL CARISO STATION 23/29​
E324​
Type III Engine​
Out of Svc​
BEAR CREEK STATION 24​
E325^​
Type III Engine​
Out of Svc​
SAN JUAN STATION 25​
E326^​
Type III Engine​
Available​
SILVERADO STATION 27​
E327^​
Type III Engine 4x4​
Out of Svc​
SILVERADO STATION 27​
E328​
Type III Engine​
Out of Svc​
BEAR CREEK STATION 24​
E329**
Type III Engine
Committed
E330R**^​
Type III Engine​
Unav-Mech​
HENSHAW STATION 32​

Jim - I think you are right about Area 22 being a sub area of District 2. From the Cleveland NF WildCAD today you can see that Patrol 23 is at Station 22 and that Patrol 22 is at Station 23. I think the Station number comes from the Engine Number; and the Area Number comes from the Station Number. I seem to remember some of the WildCAD lineups showing Area Numbers in the past.

Paysonscanner

Thanks to you and your Dad for all of the excellent information!! When the various USFS folks say something like "Area 22" would it be correct to guess that is a subdivision of the overall Trabuco District (2)?

I have a (very old) map of the previous district numbering for ANF and it seemed to follow a similar pattern as CNF. For instance, the "Mount Baldy Ranger District: had Wilderness Areas (W2, 3, 4, 6) and areas 21 through 26 so District 2 overall. Valyermo included areas 41 through 44 so District 4, etc.

Unfortunately the districts were rearranged into "River" monikers such as the "San Gabriel River Ranger District" , "Los Angeles River Ranger District" and "Santa Clara/Mojave Rivers Ranger District" but maybe they are just numbered 1-2-3.

By the way, during the (way in the past) El Nino that buried the Angeles range I did hear a Nordic callsign of a ranger on skis.

Jim

Your observations of the Cleveland are likely correct. These are initial attack zones. Each of those zones is in the CAD with resources listed for response depending on the fire danger adjectives (low, moderate, high, very high and extreme) or the burning index. How these areas are labeled differs from forest to forest. This summer while I was in Mammoth Lakes, CA the Inyo listed them by district, but put an alpha character at the end. So the Mono Lake District had 11 Papa, 11 Golf, 12 Whiskey (wilderness area I presume) and down in the Owens Valley they had 34 Charlie, 42 Charlie, etc. which seemed to be areas where they responded off forest to aid Cal Fire.

I have a 2011 response area map for the Angles in front of me. The first number reflects the ranger districts of the time so #1 is the L.A. River Ranger District (Tujunga), San Gabriel Ranger District (Glendora) and the Santa Clara/Mojave Rivers Ranger District (Acton), which covers the northern portion of the forest all the way to Wrightwood. L.A. River has areas starting with 1, San Gabriel with 2 and Santa Clara etc. with 3. I'm not sure the areas correspond with the station numbers on the Angeles, but most likely they do. There are also response areas without a station. Some of the response areas have the letter "M" at the end and those are mutual response areas, where the USFS responds automatically to fires on CA14, to wildland fires outside the forest boundary and maybe to structure fires in certain subdivisions that have a chance of spotting into wildland that pose a threat to the forest. These mutual aid response areas appear to be for L.A. County FD, L.A. FD, and the various fire departments of all the foothill cities. The reason that some of the areas don't correspond to stations is that they are often based on fuel and vegetation loading or zones where a confine/contain strategy may be used rather than all out suppression.

I was looking something up on the Angeles NF website a few weeks ago and it appears that they are down to 2 districts, the San Gabriel National Monument District (Glendora) and the L.A. Gateway District (Tujunga). They just completed building a great new facility in Acton in the last 5 years or so and it replaced the old Texas Canyon RS that had burned down one or more times and consisted of a bunch of mobile homes when they moved to Acton. This makes me wonder what is being done at the Action RS. It is not even listed as an office location on the Angeles NF website.

I've seen the Cleveland's WildWeb CAD site and have wondered what the *, **, + and ^ symbols mean shown to the right of the resource identifier. I think it may have to do with the person in a position or someone on an engine crew that have Forest Protection Officers (unarmed LE officer) and certified EMT's. It might have something to do with incident management teams, strike team leaders and similar. The Cleveland also has a work unit, with a supervisor and some other single employee positions and a crew that work out of the Supervisor's Office that deal with fire prevention and cleanup from illegal immigrants traveling across the forest. The Cleveland and the Coronado NF in AZ both have these problems, but the Cleveland's workload from it is bad enough they have people dedicated to it full time.

Teotwaki

online maps of the current district and monument areas, hopefully accurate

DUQ9xuJX0AAxr7w.jpg

usfs_sangabriels2014_large.jpg

Angeles National Forest - Supervisors Office (Headquarters)
701 N Santa Anita Ave.
Arcadia, CA 91006
Voice (626) 574-1613
FAX (626) 574-5207

USFS Angeles Station 10 - Little Tujunga
12371 N. Little Tujunga Cyn. Road
San Fernando, CA, 91342
(818) 899-1900 Ext. 246

USFS Angeles Station 11 - Angeles Crest

USFS Angeles Station 12 - Clear Creek

Milepost 33.80 Angeles Crest Highway (HWY 2)
La Canada, CA 91011 (626) 821-6764

USFS Angeles Station 13 - Big Tujunga

USFS Angeles Station 14 - Monte Cristo

USFS Angeles Red Box Ranger Station
Angeles Crest Hwy at Mile Marker 38.4 (Corner of Mt Wilson Road)

USFS Angeles Station 15 - Shortcut

USFS Angeles Station 16 - Chilao
Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy 2)
La Canada, CA 91011 (626) 796-5541

USFS Angeles Station 17 - Chantry Flat
(626) 355-0712

USFS Angeles Station 18 - Mill Creek
Angeles Forest Highway at its intersection
with Forest Road 3N17 (Santa Clara Divide Road)

USFS Angeles Station 19 - Bear Divide
21501 N Sand Canyon Rd.
Santa Clarita, CA 91387
661-252-7673

USFS Angeles Station 21 - Dalton
1645 Big Dalton Canyon, Glendora, CA 91741

USFS Angeles Station 22 - Rincon

USFS Angeles Station 23 - East Fork

USFS Angeles Station 25 - Lower San Antonio

USFS Angeles Station 27 - San Dimas

USFS Angeles Station 37 - Valyermo

USFS Angeles Station 38 - Big Pines

Milepost 79.90 Angeles Crest Highway (HWY 2)
Wrightwood, CA 92397 (760) 249-3504

USFS Angeles Station 31 - Texas Canyon
31250 Bouquet Canyon Rd.
Saugus, CA 91390
661-296-8418

USFS Angeles Station 32 - San Fransicquito
32330 San Francisquito Rd.
661-296-5010

USFS Angeles Station 34 - Oak Flats
38001 Golden State Highway
661-294-8633

USFS Angeles Station 35 - Green Valley