Cleveland National Forest New Forest Net

SCPD

QRT
Neither...

It seems like by default that I'm going to start editing the wiki for the national forests in California. I worked for the National Park Service in fire management at two parks in the state. I have a fairly good contact there who passes along good information for the NPS, USFS and BLM that allows me to know what is going on. I have a new friend who lives in Bishop, my daughter's father in law, who monitors the Inyo and Sequoia-Kings backcountry net. My contact works and lives on the west side. I'm retired and transferred out of California many years ago so all the people I worked with aren't there anymore so I don't have any other NPS contacts or people who monitor. I spent the last part of my career in the Northern Rockies so I don't have sources in the southern half of the country.

I fix the typo on the wiki page and can fix other problems if someone alerts me to it. I guess the guy that wrote the pages quit so I will try to take it on.

Added: I don't have any information for the law enforcement nets for the NPS, BLM and USFS. My contacts usually don't get info for those nets and if they do they don't want to share it. In the last years of my career frequency and such info was kept more and more secure. And I didn't keep track of it real closely. I just needed enough info so I could program my own radio when I went on fires and worked temporary details at other parks.

Last edited:

Teotwaki

Neither...

What tone plan are you referring to??

That does not fit the USFS tone plan

16 Common tones with corresponding NAC now in use:

CTCSS NAC
1 110.9 455
2 123.0 4CE
3 131.8 526
4 136.5 555
5 146.2 5B6
6 156.7 61F
7 167.9 68F
8 103.5 40B
9 100.0 3E8
10 107.2 430
11 114.8 47C
12 127.3 4F9
13 141.3 585
14 151.4 5EA
15 162.2 656
16 192.8 788

San Bernardino Forest Tone 5 on Bertha is shown as 146.2 and 6 should be 156.7

Tone Location CTCSS Tone
1 Not Assigned 110.9
2 Cajon 123.0
3 Strawberry 131.8
4 Keller 136.5
5 Bertha 146.2
6 Onyx 156.7
7 Santa Rosa 167.9
8 Black 103.5
9 San Sevaine 100.0
10 Not Assigned 107.2
11 Tahquitz 114.8
12 Rodman 127.3
13 Santiago 141.3
14 Pine Cove 151.4

Teotwaki

It seems like by default that I'm going to start editing the wiki for the national forests in California.

I fix the typo on the wiki page and can fix other problems if someone alerts me to it. I guess the guy that wrote the pages quit so I will try to take it on.

QDP2012 was editing USFS San Bernardino just today.

Teotwaki

King1 going back and forth between analog on Cleveland Admin channel 171.1375 tone 3 and Digital on Cleveland LE Net 171.7875 NAC 4CE. Was on South Main Divide near hang glider launch point.

Jim
Orange County, CA.

allend

Premium Subscriber
King1 going back and forth between analog on Cleveland Admin channel 171.1375 tone 3 and Digital on Cleveland LE Net 171.7875 NAC 4CE. Was on South Main Divide near hang glider launch point.

Jim
Orange County, CA.

I guess it would be best to leave Region 5 LE LAW NET in the "search" NAC mode since it seems like their digital channel uses a couple of NAC codes to hit different repeaters depending on where you live within the county of OC and SD. I have only heard them on 40B NAC and that's it.

So thanks for the updates and the Wiki up to date too.

Teotwaki

I guess it would be best to leave Region 5 LE LAW NET in the "search" NAC mode since it seems like their digital channel uses a couple of NAC codes to hit different repeaters depending on where you live within the county of OC and SD. I have only heard them on 40B NAC and that's it.

So thanks for the updates and the Wiki up to date too.

All three of the LE repeaters follow the Region 5 tone plan with appropriate NACs and broadcast digital audio with a Tone 8 NAC of 40B. If we are only listening to the LE repeater outputs we only need 40B.

Repeater access NAC.

Tone 2 is 123.0 NAC 4CE Santiago Peak.

Tone 5 is 146.2 NAC 5B6 Cuyamaca Peak

Tone 6 is 136.5 NAC 555 High Point (Palomar)

Each LE repeater can broadcast in analog or digital but it seems that units go back to Admin or Forest Net for analog contacts with dispatch. Maybe their radios do not even have LE channels programmed in analog.

Jim
Orange County, CA

SCPD

QRT
In other locations in R5 listeners have reported the LE net being used in analog so each LEO radio would have to be capable of analog operation due to the amount of time LEO's travel to do work on other national forests.

My R5 contacts indicate that the eventual build out plan for this network is to encrypt it so those forests using it in analog now will be going digital in the future.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Encryption being implemented in The Forest Service. Pretty Hilarious.

What's this world coming to?????

Teotwaki

I am adding 2Edward7, heard when he was using Tone 5 (Cuyamaca) just now
Edit: adding in Rec 26

Callsigns heard:

Comms 27 & 28
2Charles1
2Edward 4, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12
2King 1 & 5
Patrol 22, 23, 33, 34, 41, 42
Ranger 2
Rec 23, 26, 31

Jim
Orange County, CA

Last edited:

Teotwaki

In other locations in R5 listeners have reported the LE net being used in analog so each LEO radio would have to be capable of analog operation due to the amount of time LEO's travel to do work on other national forests.

My R5 contacts indicate that the eventual build out plan for this network is to encrypt it so those forests using it in analog now will be going digital in the future.

I've only heard Comms techs using analog on the LE repeaters so far, but will report if I ever hear LEOs using it. So far they just switch back to analog Admin Net. It is interesting that in both analog and digital the LE repeaters in Cleveland NF have the same Hi-Lo beep tone after the officer unkeys his radio.

Digital works so poorly overall in Cleveland NF that adding encryption into the stew won't help at all.

Jim
Orange County, CA

allend

Premium Subscriber
I've only heard Comms techs using analog on the LE repeaters so far, but will report if I ever hear LEOs using it. So far they just switch back to analog Admin Net. It is interesting that in both analog and digital the LE repeaters in Cleveland NF have the same Hi-Lo beep tone after the officer unkeys his radio.

Digital works so poorly overall in Cleveland NF that adding encryption into the stew won't help at all.

Jim
Orange County, CA

Totally agree. Even though somebody on a forum that spreads rumors and has contacts at R5 doesn't mean anything is going to happen. So much testing has to be done or a period of time. If USFS starts using digital encryption then they would be in a world of hurt especially in canyons and valleys and the rough terrain. O well let them stew over it.

Teotwaki

Totally agree. Even though somebody on a forum that spreads rumors and has contacts at R5 doesn't mean anything is going to happen. So much testing has to be done or a period of time. If USFS starts using digital encryption then they would be in a world of hurt especially in canyons and valleys and the rough terrain. O well let them stew over it.

I agree that digital formats are problematic due to the higher signal strengths needed to achieve minimum error rates as measured by the energy per bit over the noise ratio, Eb/No.

I would love to have a current channel assignment sheet for R5 radios or at least for Cleveland, Angeles and San Bernardino forests.. Maybe someone with R5 contacts can come up with something simple like that?

Jim
Orange County, CA

SCPD

QRT
I indicated that analog is being used in other locations. Those other locations are the Mendocino, Plumas, Sierra and Eldorado National Forests. The encryption use at build out is not a rumor as I saw it in writing in the notes of a dispatcher's conference. I've read so many of these conference notes that it will take me a while to locate it. I will look for them as I think I have them in a file somewhere.

EDIT: I have official channel plans for R5 forests. The 2017 information will not be out for another 2-3 months. I went through and made sure that the wiki pages and the 2016 plans match. I don't deal in rumors, I use official printed information.

Additional: If the information I have access to is not helpful and my edits to the wiki are not welcome then I don't have to participate. I worked for the NPS in fire management in a couple of parks in California for nearly 2 decades and have some contacts so I thought I could help. I'm new to the hobby and new to this site so maybe I don't know how things work yet.

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
If you have any concrete info that is great. The problem is that there are so much rumors and encryption is just a big bad thorn in everybody's side anymore since everything is going that way moving forward with alot of agencies. Now to hear that USFS is starting to use the big bad "E" is not a good sign with the fire service.

There are other meeting notes and big chiefs wanting to use "E" moving forward and its such a horrible idea but I guess they know everything. This hobby is just going to have to lay down and take it as it comes.

Teotwaki

Hi Kendrick,

this is a group effort so no one is asking you to be silent. However, in the previous post you stated something that was unsubstantiated:

----snip----

All that you said was "...my contacts...." but that is only as good as a rumor.

Then it changed twice in the next statement:

----snip----- The encryption use at build out is not a rumor as I saw it in writing in the notes of a dispatcher's conference. ----snip---------.

EDIT: I have official channel plans for R5 forests. The 2017 information will not be out for another 2-3 months. I went through and made sure that the wiki pages and the 2016 plans match. I don't deal in rumors, I use official printed information.
------snip-------.

Now we see it went from "my contacts" to "....dispatcher's conference notes" to "....Official channel plans".
Makes me wonder what is going on. I hope that you can see that when viewed in this manner.

For me I want to know if you actually heard something on the air or if you have a document that you can scan and share. I would like to see how the radios are actually programmed: channel sequence, abbreviations and so on. That is valuable information for me. The format of the Wiki strips that information away and as I have found the Wiki has typos and it is not always obvious when it was edited, what was changed, why it was changed or who changed it. At the moment the main R5 radio information and the three local forests' radio plans don't quite match. For instance, the Cleveland entry does not show the three LE repeaters that have been on the air for some time.

Looking forward to your response.

best regards,.

Jim
Orange County, CA

Teotwaki

2King1 has been very active today starting with a morning check in on the digital LE channel. I've not paid attention to where he has been but right now he is running 28's & 29's (Registration/Wants& Warrants requests) on Cleveland Admin instead of the LE channel, analog or digital. He mentioned a trailhead so I am trying to tie his location to the lack of coverage by the LE channel.

Jim
Orange County, CA