Clifton Fire to UHF Simulcast Transition Thread

rr60

Premium Subscriber
It appears Clifton Fire has found a frequency in the UHF Tband.

There is a pending application for a three site simulcast system and is pending.
This is a sharing agreement with Verona, using 471.700.
Interesting to note: Emissions voice and Trbo no P25.

When the license is issued we will get it posted

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
We can at least post a link to the application for those who might want to view it.

Verona hasn't used most of their T-Band frequencies since the EDACS system was decommissioned over five years ago, so it's only fair that they allow Clifton to utilize one of them. Frankly, Verona is lucky to even still have the YW license at this point. It really should've been converted over to PW when they decommissioned the trunked system and started using two of the frequencies for paging. Another example of public safety hoarding licenses in perpetuity because there are no checks in place to prevent such behavior.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Got a mouse in your pocket ? :unsure:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Or maybe I was trying to be subtle and civil, rather than saying "YOU" could've at least posted the link. I really have to wonder sometimes. 🤦‍♂️

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
We can at least post a link to the application for those who might want to view it.

Verona hasn't used most of their T-Band frequencies since the EDACS system was decommissioned over five years ago, so it's only fair that they allow Clifton to utilize one of them. Frankly, Verona is lucky to even still have the YW license at this point. It really should've been converted over to PW when they decommissioned the trunked system and started using two of the frequencies for paging. Another example of public safety hoarding licenses in perpetuity because there are no checks in place to prevent such behavior.

As to emissions for this application, basically it’s a copy of the information from their 453.7375 license under WQWB636
Originally this was the OEM UHF repeater. This repeater had the capacity for DMR with only a software programing change and therefore was licensed for DMR and Analog. The programing change was never made and DMR was never implemented.
At this time Clifton FD is not interested any digital modes DMR/P25 on their new proposed 2 Ch UHF system. Time will only tell and we will cross that bridge if and when their is a planned change of emissions.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber

This brings to mind another frequency Verona is licensed for but doesn’t use 472.4625. Since the switch From EDACS to NJICS I don’t think it has seen any use. I’ll have to see if the repeater is still active. The last time I was in one of their newer patrol cars I didn’t see UHF capability just NJICS and VHF for SPEN.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Update on Clifton FD move to UHF.

The fire Dept has received a 2.1 million dollars in funding to upgrade the entire department’s radio system.

This is what is know so far:

The buildout process has begun with the 2 UHF channels now being secured.
Activation is targeted for later this year or early 2023 (Now through April 23?)
As to which frequency is actually used is TBA

Ch 1 Will be automated dispatch
Ch 2 Will be for response and operations

A number of low power unlicensed UHF channels for fire-ground operations to be added also (similar to the City of Paterson FD)

Motorola APX8000 Tri - Band portables and Mobiles to be assigned to all apparatus and on duty personnel. VHF, UHF and 700-800 MHz allowing Interops and mutual aid to any all towns that surround Clifton plus interop talk groups on NJICS.
Though CFD is not interested in dispatch or general operations on NJICS, however they are considering to get a talk group or two for Fire Marshall Investigations and Fire Administration (Chiefs). However this remains to be seen.

All remaining licensed VHF Channels for both Fire and Police will be kept as backup under the OEM label with a total of 9 VHF channels which includes the 2 OEM VHF Channels.

Once all is fully known and confirmed a submission will be made to the DB.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
For those of you who monitor City of Clifton Fire Dept. They will begin the process of switching from their VHF frequencies to their UHF during this month of June.
I don’t have an exact date but the transition may slow and activity may be heard on both bands during this period.
471.7000 WRBV476 (Not in DB yet)
Frequencies should be monitored in PL/DPL search mode.
The DPL listed in RR DB for the 453.7375 frequency is for OEM which MAY be moving to their VHF frequencies already listed in the DB.
Clifton Fire VHF frequencies will go over to OEM and remain as backup to UHF and mutual aid.
Once I have the correct PL/DPL I’ll post here and send in a formal submission.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Clifton has a pending application to delay until Fall of 2024. Looks like site work begins Q1/Q2 24 and onward from there. Three site simulcast.

Must have faith in Tband. I get W14DK-D Dagsboro Delaware a few times a year.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
The Current Clifton City government is in a bit of state of chaos with council members dived on a number of issues. Especially $ budgetary items along with the recent retirement of senior FD officers and personnel, I am Not surprised by this.

The Officer handling the UHF license processing may have become tied up with other matters or they retired themselves and therefore the project was not passed on to another FD official. Thereby the required dead lines were either forgot and not met. Politics also may have sinister hand in this also as to who gets paid for what various services including frequency coordination. Hopefully the last minute STA will be successful for CFD to keep what they minimally have on UHF now on their current license. Otherwise Clifton FD will remain on their current VHF channels for years to come before if ever moving to an UHF system. 🙄🤷🏻‍♂️😑