• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 29lx big mystery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

Maybe someone can solve this!
My cobra 29lx has been in my jeep working fine for 4 months. It is wired to have power when turned on even with the ignition off, so I guess its right to the battery through a fuse in the fuse panel.The other day my wife said the CB just came on, no sound, lit up, and went off while driving. I said how can it do that the on off switch is off. Again tonight we were able to reenact it, over and over. It seems like with the on off switch off on the radio the radio will light up and go off every time you hit the high beam switch. What is it causing it to do this? Why is it doing this? Can it cause a problem for the radio? Thanks Ron

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
Same Thing Was Happening To My CB Cobra 19 DX IV, I Had It Installed In My 2005 Honda Accord Straight To The Battery and Grounded To The Chassis And About 3 Weeks Before I Removed It, The Screen Backlight Would Turn On and Then Off Automatically, No Sound or Numbers Would Appear. I Would Turn It On And Off After And Still Would Happen At Random Times. I Recently Removed It And Mounted In My F-150 And Hasn't Done It SInce

darticus

Here is the answer
The radio was connected so it always had power even when turned off. When the high beam switch is toggled there is a momentary loss of voltage, between lights, which causes the radio to light than off again between light connections. It lit with the wire off. When reconnected it went off as usual. It may also be causing the weather emergency system to cut on for a second. The weather alert is programmed to work on this radio and send an alert even if the radio is off. Radio Corrected by grounding to the frame and plus side to a cigarette lighter that stays on. No switch to interfere! The switch for the lights breaks the ground when switched. Now fixed. Anyone know if this was a reset or what???
Hope to hear from cobra for their answer. Thanks Ron

Last edited:

WQFM513

If you read the manual, it says the weather alert will activate the radio, even with the power off at the pwr/vol knob. I suspect your haunted radio problem has somthing to do with this feature.

vdubb16

either or. Mine will light up the backlighting of the sreen for a second whenever power is connected to it after being disconnected from a 12v source. this is even with the power off. id venture to say either a loose connection or as already stated voltage drop. try a different fuse worst case scenario. "without taxing the any other important vehicle systems. or just go straigt to batter for +12v

darticus

either or. Mine will light up the backlighting of the sreen for a second whenever power is connected to it after being disconnected from a 12v source. this is even with the power off. id venture to say either a loose connection or as already stated voltage drop. try a different fuse worst case scenario. "without taxing the any other important vehicle systems. or just go straigt to batter for +12v
Just connect to a fuse that stays powered and you will never have a problem. See reason above. Ron

WQFM513

Mine is connected to a constant 12 volt source. The 12 volt cb lugs in the semi were fed off a swiched source, but I fixed that. Still does the mystery power flash occasioaly. Mostly when I hit big bumps, I have been into my radio several times replacing "faulty" components, I have yet to find a loose or bad wire or solder connection. maybe a shock protection feature for the lcd is to blame?

darticus

Because there is always power going to the Weather emergency system for warnings it will pick up a power disconnect or a voltage drop as a signal and try to send the warning by turning on the front display and than turning it off as there is no power to continue. Making sure there is always power and no switch involved in the line, which could have a intermediate off spot, will solve the problem. Switches can have a small dead spot at some point when switching. GO RIGHT TO THE BATTERY! Ron

Mine is connected to a constant 12 volt source. The 12 volt cb lugs in the semi were fed off a switched source, but I fixed that. Still does the mystery power flash occasionally. Mostly when I hit big bumps, I have been into my radio several times replacing "faulty" components, I have yet to find a loose or bad wire or solder connection. maybe a shock protection feature for the lcd is to blame?

Last edited:
The same thing happens on my LX LE. I use it as a base unit with a 12v power supply. Even if the radio is turned off when I turn the power supply on the display will light up for a second or two then go off. It's nothing to be worried about. In your case, connecting the radio to a source of power that's less likely to drop in voltage will solve the problem of the screen flashing on while driving.

WQFM513

Because there is always power going to the Weather emergency system for warnings it will pick up a power disconnect or a voltage drop as a signal and try to send the warning by turning on the front display and than turning it off as there is no power to continue. Making sure there is always power and no switch involved in the line, which could have a intermediate off spot, will solve the problem. Switches can have a small dead spot at some point when switching. GO RIGHT TO THE BATTERY! Ron
Read carefully dude, several people have stated they have it hooked up to a constant source.
An un switched source. No switch on the power supply. Just the power switch on the radio.

darticus

I read it DUDE! FIXED it in my car Dude! Now dude off Dude. Call Cobra and get your money back dude. It has to do with a radio frequency setting off the weather unit when there is static charge triggered in the electrical system. Get a better car without static charges and run straight to the battery Dude, Most people fix the radio buy buying a newer car around $30 thousand should do it to fix the $100.00 radio. If there is a switch on the line that is powering the radio it can trigger the problem to go off with you not knowing there is a switch involved. It could even be the air conditioner switch going on and off on the same line automatically. Have a nice dudey day Dude. FORGETABOUTIT! DUDE!

Read carefully dude, several people have stated they have it hooked up to a constant source.
An unswitched source. No switch on the power supply. Just the power switch on the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.