• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra Mic 7 volt battery???

niceguy71

I got my new Antron 99 temporarily mounted on a fence.... I've been waiting to try my 1990 or so Cobra 148GTL for 33 years so I ran a 100 foot of RG8 to it and turned it on... WOW... I have never heard so many stations and so much talk on every channel in my life!!! now I see why you guys get so addicted to this..... my Mobile unit picks up well.... but NOTHING like this antenna!... I know it's 25 feet to the tip compared to my mobiles 11 feet to the tip.... so I said here we go I'm going to finally try this.... I go to check the SWR and notice it's only got 3 watts and no real modulation???? so I look at my Cobra Mic and find it takes a battery.... it say's it takes a 7 volt Ever-ready EP175.... I looked on line and I don't think they make that battery anymore... I see youtube videos of people making batteries out of button batteries and heat shrink... geesh can I catch a break!
so anyone know of a replacement battery for my Cobra power mic or a good mic that will just plug into a Cobra 148GTL???

Attachments

• Cobra power mic 7 volt Ever ready EP 175.jpg
    Cobra power mic 7 volt Ever ready EP 175.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Cobra power mic batt compartment  7 volt Ever ready EP 175.jpg
    Cobra power mic batt compartment 7 volt Ever ready EP 175.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 16

slowmover

148 sold for $200?
M575 sold for $180?

Pays for modern performance (as in previous thread). The 148 would still need a KL-203 to be competitive ($90) and DSP Spkr ($225) if the 575 used. (I’d also want a factory alignment + tune that it all worked together, correctly). $50?

$340 atop current setup vs less for higher-performing 21st Century gear.

— Dynamic mics don’t sound that good on a Q5. Muffled.

The two mics above are everyone’s standard of reference for the type.

Use money left over towards:

Vertical Antenna Feedpoint Jumper Choke (example) can be low expense:

SKU JC-1-1500CB

Last edited:

niceguy71

Does this look right? Battery Junction
I had one 30 years ago but threw it out after a few years so it wouldn't get acid corrosion on anything..... so I don't have one to compare it too... it also say's 7 volt not 7.5 volts ... I was hoping someone here would know just what I need... but I'm thinking it's been discontinued for 20 years, so I think I'm not going to find one... I could try it freqseeker can't loose too much.

niceguy71

148 sold for $200?
M575 sold for $180?

Pays for modern performance (as in previous thread). The 148 would still need a KL-203 to be competitive ($90) and DSP Spkr ($225) if the 575 used. (I’d also want a factory alignment + tune that it all worked together, correctly). $50?

$340 atop current setup vs less for higher-performing 21st Century gear.

— Dynamic mics don’t sound that good on a Q5. Muffled.

The two mics above are everyone’s standard of reference for the type.

Use money left over towards:

Vertical Antenna Feedpoint Jumper Choke (example) can be low expense:

SKU JC-1-1500CB

thank you slowmover... I was thinking the same thing..... WHY on earth would anyone keep an old Cobra 148GTL when they can sell it and an old power mic for more than a new Anytone 5555NII costs.????? but before I let the old Cobra go I really need to make sure there is no reason to keep it....... has to be a reason why people pay 200 bucks for a old cobra when they can get a quad 5 for 60 bucks more????? is the old stuff more reliable? easier to use???? ... but in a year or so I am going to sell all my stuff and get two quad 5's.... I don't think I can get a quad 5 where my Grant is in my pick-up so I may have to go Quad 6... the 5555 is close to 3 inches longer than my grant.... anyway thank you slowMover ..I think were on the same page.

slowmover

Slowmover are you recommending the Astatic A636L???? if you like it and it will work on my 148GTL I'll buy one this week.

Either choice is good. A636L my preference as I sound a bit better on it than the RK56 (across any of my Galaxy radios).

Adapter required.

Why not use the M575 instead?

niceguy71

Either choice is good. A636L my preference as I sound a bit better on it than the RK56 (across any of my Galaxy radios).

Adapter required.

Why not use the M575 instead?

I have a base radio and a mobile.... The 575 has been attached to my President Grant Export for 33 years and does a fantastic job.

slowmover

There are quite a few choices in microphones. Especially at a base station.

The two above one can’t go wrong. But that’s not to say one can’t explore alternatiives.

I have at least (14) microphones. I’m far from serious about it as are some. (I see them as being cheap. And, one always needs a backup).

niceguy71

There are quite a few choices in microphones. Especially at a base station.

The two above one can’t go wrong. But that’s not to say one can’t explore alternatiives.

I have at least (14) microphones. I’m far from serious about it as are some. (I see them as being cheap. And, one always needs a backup).

I think I know where my factory Cobra 148 GTL mic is... so I will look for it... I did order a 7.5 volt battery... who know maybe it will work... if I plan on selling the Cobra to get the Quad 5 I hate to buy a mic.... thanks SlowMover

wtp

i had a radio shack mic that took a 12 volt cell, but the mic could work without it.
everyone said it sounded great with it powered, and just OK when not.
does it really need the battery or will it work without it ?

niceguy71

i had a radio shack mic that took a 12 volt cell, but the mic could work without it.
everyone said it sounded great with it powered, and just OK when not.
does it really need the battery or will it work without it ?
It may .. I keyed it to check the swr and saw it was putting out 3 watts.... I was surprised to see only 3 watts then I noticed the 0-10 dial and remembered it took a battery... so I went in the hunt for a battery .. I'll give it a try

Reactions: wtp

slowmover

thank you slowmover... I was thinking the same thing..... WHY on earth would anyone keep an old Cobra 148GTL when they can sell it and an old power mic for more than a new Anytone 5555NII costs.????? but before I let the old Cobra go I really need to make sure there is no reason to keep it....... has to be a reason why people pay 200 bucks for a old cobra when they can get a quad 5 for 60 bucks more????? is the old stuff more reliable? easier to use???? ... but in a year or so I am going to sell all my stuff and get two quad 5's.... I don't think I can get a quad 5 where my Grant is in my pick-up so I may have to go Quad 6... the 5555 is close to 3 inches longer than my grant.... anyway thank you slowMover ..I think were on the same page.

Thought of this thread reading a comment on another site:

“ . . I actually had a mint Uniden Grant XL next to my AT-5555Nii the other day. I love the XL, but when doing some A/B tests side by side on the air I was actually shocked how much better the AT-5555Nii was hearing on a very busy band.”

— I’ve swapped out older radios with the Q5 and this has been my reaction.

There’s a sadness goes with it for beloved gear. My operation by touch for highest performance while at speed was seamless.

Real CB Radios are Side Mic

IMG_1989.jpeg

Last edited:

merlin

Last thing you need with this radio is a power mic. That old Turner road king mike was more than good enough.
Just learn how to use the dynamic, lest you splatter all over the band.