com port setting for a usb cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

wc8i

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me what no the comport setting should be on when using the radio shack cable, i thought it was 4 but its not working now, keeps coming up error for comport? can you please e mail me at wc8i@yahoo.com thanks, Bill

Bucko

Should be com port 4, that is where mine is anyway. Go to your computer managment/ then device manager and scroll down to ports and expand and it should have the it listed.

n8obu

go to the control panel than system than hardware than device manager than click un comports if you are using an usb to db9 it will listed hope this helps m

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Each USB jack on your PC will typically map the serial device to a different COM port. As mentioned above, you can see what the current mapping is by looking in the device manager.

dangitdoug

Cable info

Had similar problem when I got my cable. After much assistance, we figured out the computer was not automatically recognizing the driver. The PC said it had a newer driver already installed. When I tried to run that, it did not work. We had to backtrack and override the installed driver with the driver from the cable to get it to work.

If you can't figure it out, contact fmon on RR. He is the resident expert.

Doug K

RISC777

Yes -- make sure you are using the driver that came with (should come with) the USB-to-serial converter (cable).

Al42

UPMan said:
Each USB jack on your PC will typically map the serial device to a different COM port. As mentioned above, you can see what the current mapping is by looking in the device manager.
A little trick, Paul. If you plug the adapter into a USB port and choose the COM port number (in device manager), you can choose the same COM port number for all your USB ports for that adpter. Windows will warn you that the port is in use. Sure it's in use - by that adapter when it's plugged into another USB port.

This way the software will work with no change regardless of where you connect the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.