Comcast is turning your home router into a public Wi-Fi hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
In home Wi-Fi

Shaw does the same thing here in Canada. It seems that where ever they provide customers a home internet connection, they provide a free Wi-Fi hotspot for other Shaw clients.

PACNWDude

This caused an uproar with many of my co-workers that live in the same area as me. Many of them were told they needed new modems, and they were the WiFi enabled versions like the one in this lawsuit. They immediately shut off the second WiFi system.
Comcast was re-structuring the network in this region and requiring a stronger signal from the cable to the modem for the modem to enter the Comcast network. I had to take a couple of splices out, as I was a couple of dB low for my older non WiFi modem to come online.
I'm glad someone filed suit, even if it is a hopeless cause though. Might send some sort of a message. Short of thousands cutting service en masse at the same time.

CapStar362

PAC, you should not have to reduce anything in your house. as long as the modem is the #1 output of the splitter, even better, the drop line ( the one coming out of the ground or from the overhead pole ) split that as soon as it gets to the house, attach the modem directly to the splitter on one side, and the TV's to the other side and split at will with attenuation in mind. if you sense low dB at certain jacks, use a dB Amp inline with those jacks. make sure it has a reverse filter though.

NOW: if you rent the modem, you are dead in the water, they can do whatever they want their "rented" equipment. and "rented" equipment is the ONLY, equipment that does this. no retail modem/router/gateway can be controlled into providing a "Public" hotspot for ISP purposes.

these people are dumb, pure and simple. they just want greedy Christmas.

now, if say you had a older DOCSIS 1.1 or 2.0 modem and you have DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 rated services, they can stop the older modems from authenticating to the DOCSIS because it can cause issues down and up the lines to other customers. it is THEIR lines you are connecting to, and its THEIR abilities to provide interference or interruption free services to other customers. they have every right to deny certain devices from connecting to their lines for compatibility and quality of service reasons.

this public hotspot, does not interfere with anything. it CAN be turned off and it is CLEARLY outlined in the Comcast FAQ's or you can call CS and bug them to do it for you.

the public hotspot is isolated to a VLAN that has 100% blockage to your private LAN. there is 0 cross-talk between the VLAN and the actual LAN you use. ive seen the firmware of MAoC systems. it cannot be done. even brute forcing a modem will not allow the VLAN and LAN to cross talk.

elaborating on that.... when you connect a public hotspot, guess what....... you dont even get a Comcast IP.... if you resolve the IP for the hotspot, guess what the DNS and IP Resolve to?

GOOGLE AD Servers and CDN DNS Servers.

i've tested this in 4 states now, it all points to GOOGLE AD SERVICES every time.

these two girls are just poking and trolling, they will fail and Comcast will bury them within the first day.

that soo called analyst, needs to be fired too. there is no way in hell a single router can cause a household increase of 30-40% of the energy bill monthly. the Motorola routers hardly draw enough power to dictate a 2% increase.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
So why should the consumer PAYING for the service, have to provide power for the PUBLIC access? It comes down to principle. Why should I pay for power that is being used to benefit the corperation making money off the users accessing the public AP? The issue is not the actual amount, but the simple fact of the company benefiting off of something I'm paying to power... That I do not control who accesses it? I'm paying the power ill while the company benefits by it being there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CapStar362

the point is, it CAN be turned off, and does NOT cause interference like these two are saying. they DO control it. its written right in the FAQ that a simple few clicks of the mouse can disable it.... BOOM no more public wifi.

w2xq

Mentor
I have a DOCSIS 3 modem, and there is no point-and-click option in the customer account pages to turn off the home public signal. The Comcast FAQ is not complete. I haven't bothered calling yet... don't feel like aggravating myself and raising my blood pressure. Far enough from the road and neighbors not to worry. Just have get rid of the [black] helicopters overhead...

Still think it should be amusing to follow the suit.

CapStar362

is it a "Comcast" branded modem? is it the modem and router in one "Gateway" or is it a retail generic modem?

i have that option on my account, though i do not have the same gateway router/modem at all. i have a stand alone modem the DPC 3008. so it does not function as it is not a "gateway in the following list below.

if its any of these: Wireless Gateway Guides

then they have control of it, and you have the option of turning off the public hotspot. those are the models using the public hotspot. nothing bought retail will EVER have public wifi. only devices rented from the ISP.

CapStar362

of which in that article -

While most users are obviously fine with Comcast sharing their bandwidth

is false, you do NOT Share your private bandwidth and any usage is NOT counted against your private traffic data cap.

i could argue this day in and out 24/7. i have seen the firmware basics to MAoC, its just a way of getting more people on cable broadband. by letting them experience the advantages of Cable over even U-Verse, now Google rolling out Fiber Net... will have a huge effect on this.

you pay 70$ for cable and get 50-60 Mbps, when you pay the same 70$ and get well over 500 Mbps ( when it becomes physically available ) what do you think the logical choice is here?

MAoC does NOT count as public against your private data usage, nor is there a single security risk.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
The actual cost is not relevant, it is the principle of the whole idea of paying the company to have a public AP in your house...

^^^^ These types are the first to complain when they do not have access to a public WIFI hotspot in a restaurant, bar or any other public place.

PACNWDude

Comcast WiFi is not as bad as it could be.

It could be worse, IPS, or Indoor Positioning systems are being engineered to locate people based on: WiFi signals, Bluetooth signals, and acoustics and infra-red signals.

Tracking of people and objects inside facilities based on the RF or heat signature is getting to be more precise and specific.

Could these always on WiFi devices be another way to track people. Not to go down the tinfoil hat road too far, but this is just like placing fake cell phone towers around the area to log all cell phones that come into range.

CapStar362

and what to disable mobile device tracking? simply turning off location sharing. any modern android and iOS gives you the ability to hide your location. just turn off GPS and do not allow browser location reporting as a global feature.

i can make a post from my phone with location disabled, guess what... it does not reveal my location when i make that post.... if i turn it on.... boom, location is showing where i was when i pressed "POST"

sorry but these are just lawsuit exploiters trying to get a payday for a big christmas if you ask me

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
OK, I'll give you that. However, I believe far more people would have been OK with this if they had gone about doing it as an opt-in, advertised feature, instead of an opt-out one that they basically snuck in. It really doesn't bother me that much, other than how they've done it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
^^^^ These types are the first to complain when they do not have access to a public WIFI hotspot in a restaurant, bar or any other public place.

That's where you are wrong. I am data/network self sufficient. I do not need public wifi. If it is there I will use it... Sometimes. I also get that a multi billion dollar company is getting their consumers subsidize(they are paying the power bill for the router)the public side of the of the network, that is only available to PAYING CUSTOMERS...

They want to set up AP on poles in the neighbour hood? Sure, heck I would even support it.

But when they want to have THEIR EQUIPMENT in my house, and pay them a rental fee for it to be therewhile they use it to provide paid internet access to their customers and have me pay the power bill to do itwith out compensation? Not happening. Like ever.

Look at it this way... Would you let a cell company put a site on your land if they thought they would just plug it into YOUR house rather than have the power company install their own meter?

See what I am getting at?

lgentle

I completely agree with us people "in the know"...ie: people that deal with tech issues, networking, etc. EVERYDAY. However, there are those "dangerous" tech people (you tech people know who I'm talking about), who think everything is simple & straight-forward who think everyday is a "payday" (CapStar). These people just don't fully understand how technology really works.

Bottom line......BUY YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT & STOP BLAMING OTHER PEOPLE!

I understand Comcast wants to make a public WiFi for their paying subscribers (I often see if they have a hotspot where I can't plug into a customers network). I've got a valid login to the Comcast network being a Comcast paid subscriber.

These people that lease their modems from Comcast for, what is it $10/month (?) & waste their hard earned money for an $80 piece of hardware are just plain stupid!

Don't blame the ISP for your own lack of knowledge and/or stupidity!

CapStar362

its their equipment, yes i agree, "bad way" of implementing it, but you can opt out, very easily.

its just like windows, you get a system, what does it do to updates? by default its enabled and set to automatic, you get updates installed that you ( non-tech types ) may not even know about, like the new IE 11, full of bugs, crashing, features people did not like.... oh well it got installed anyways.

or, TV providers, they remove channels that you like without warning you? ( DirecTV anyone? ) or they move channels without warning you till maybe the day of, or 12 hours prior when your sleeping.....

happens all the time...... ultimate point is: it was a rented modem, and they ( Comcast ) can add or remove features at any time with or without user consent to their property. if you have a private device, they can STILL deny it on their ( Comcast ) lines. if you run a device that is older than what your subscribing to and/or may cause issues to other customers up or down stream on the lines, they CAN deny that device from authenticating to the network. and its all written in the legally binding ToS that users sign.

this particular issue, sooo many in-accurate claims. there is no way possible a single router can cause a %30-40 increase in the electricity bill of a entire house a month. yet some " Electrical Analyst Firm" get this...... "Confirmed" it. anyone smell the droppings there? its all baited to make comcast look even worse.

so coming from that point, please show me technical data that a device that draws what..... couple amps ( if that even ) MAX, uses no more than say 90w of power can cause a house wide increase in the electric bill by 30-40 % ? im sorry but that's crap.

w2xq

Mentor
CapStar362, Thanks. I found a TG862G manual per the link you supplied. It was dated April 2013, but the drawings don't look like the newer Arris Technologies unit Comcast supplied to me this past summer. Probably doesn't affect the setup instructions. The manual has no reference to a second open channel. If and when I dig out the Win7 PC, I'll take a look at the screens.

As I recall, the second, open, channel signal appeared a month or two after the swapout. Must have been a software upgrade sent over the network.

For cable TV and internet, my choice is Comcast, period. Satellite installers pull in the driveway, laugh, shake their head, tell me to cut down ~20 trees if I want to "see" a bird, and back out. We won't ever get FIOS here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.