Commercial Radio stations ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Not that I want to listen to FM radio on my $500 scanner myself (only in an emergency its handy for me)

but I wonder why the Uniden BCD396XT has/included the FM freq band and GRE did not. Must have been a comprimise on performance. Anybody know or have an idea?

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
but I wonder why the Uniden BCD396XT has/included the FM freq band and GRE did not. Must have been a compromise on performance. Anybody know or have an idea?

I can't say but it has FM on the 346XT as well and the fidelity is low and it will not decode stereo.

I carry around a nice little Sony shirt pocket unit that cost sixty bucks in Canada and is light years better than the Uniden on FM, plays stereo if the station is broadcasting it, and also brings in AM too. Even came with headphones, although they sucked from my point of view. But you may like them.

W2PMX

I'm guessing that GRE didn't feel that there was a need for FM broadcast, while Uniden felt that it didn't add much (if anything) to the cost, and was a nice addition. Just a marketing decision - and Uniden seems to be making the better ones.

As for quality - if you want to know where that twister is, and the scanner is the only thing you have with good batteries, who cares whether you can even recognize the announcer's voice? I don't care if I can't even tell gender. Stereo? I'll take mono, gravelly voice and noise - if it'll keep me from getting killed. When the storm's over I'll turn on the stereo and listen to good audio. That's why I have local stations programmed into my BCD396T and my VX-5s. Whatever works in an emergency.

scannerboy01

It certainly doesn't make sense to buy a costly scanner just to listen to commercial FM or AM broadcasts if you could just listen to it on a cheaper radio for commercial broadcasts.

gottspeed

Premium Subscriber
Completely retarded.

Why block out a frequency range other than cellular?

Beginning to wish I stuck with my Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.