computer controlled scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh552

I have noticed that alot of people have their scanners hooked to computers and have the scanner display on the computer screen. What is the benifit of that and does the audio also come through the computer?

grodgers

Benefits

The benefits are:

a) you can see the virtual display without looking at the unit.
b) while connected to your computer, you can log hits and record audio
c) you can listen to audio through your speakers, and record conversations on the Uniden only if you connect the headset jack to a microphone input on your PC.

I don't know about the GRE's that use a true USB interface (the Unidens use a USB-to-Serial converter). It's certainly possible to send the audio over a USB link, but the radio would have to have it as a feature (that's my next "want")

All replies are JMHO and worth every bit you paid me for them.

captclint

Mentor
I have noticed that alot of people have their scanners hooked to computers and have the scanner display on the computer screen. What is the benifit of that and does the audio also come through the computer?
My most valuable feature is the logging...esp useful when trying to find PL/DPL. The logging is great when searching, but it is also handy for normal scanning. Often, I do not look up in time to see what agency was just talking, so I just look at the log.

reconrider8

ok well to stay on his topic, whats a program that after a certain amount of sec with like no signal will it auto just keep scanning? been wondering this for a while with mine

captclint

Mentor
ok well to stay on his topic, whats a program that after a certain amount of sec with like no signal will it auto just keep scanning? been wondering this for a while with mine
Don't understand the question. Scanners all resume scanning after 0-6 sec of no signal unless you have put it on hold on a channel. Are you talking about a scanner, or a software program, which was the original topic.

The software sends info about frequencies and systems to the scanner, and the scanner sends info back to the program about what it is doing and the frequencies it is receiving. Yes, you can use the software to put it on hold on a channel, and it will not resume until you tell it to by clicking on the virutal control panel on your computer. I don't know if I have answered your question. If not, please explain in more detail.

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
yea software my scanner will sit on a freq. all day long if i dont l/o or rescan
Ok, sounds like you have one channel that has an open carrier, or other data type signal. If that channel has voice that comes and goes, the scanner should resume after the voice has stopped. Sometimes, a repeater will remain on(stuck open), but this should be fixed in a few hours. I guess it could also be a "birdie". Do you hear voice on this channel, or is it just quiet hissing?

Edit: I just noticed you said: software. Does this happen only when the scanner is hooked up to the computer? If so, then maybe you are getting some interference from the PC because it is so close. Unplug the cable, but leave the scanner in exact same position. If it is still there, then move the scanner 10-15 feet away and it should be gone. If the PC is the problem, you can try moving the scanner to various positions relative to the PC while it is hooked up to BCTool. You may find a spot that is "clean".

Last edited:

hoser147

As Capt Clint stated the Logging is the biggest tool, with the GREs you have full function of all the buttons to run the scanner right off of your computer screen with different software....................Hoser

usnasa

I have the pro 2055 unit hooked up to my computer input to record but how would i get the scanner on my computer screen to see the display is there special software for that ?

thanks

captclint

Mentor
not like that im talking bout jsut like a static filled channel with no voice just static like a dead channel
Since you are not answering my questions, I can only advise that you lock that channel out. It is probably a birdie or computer interference, and has nothing to do with software.

jparks29

John McClane
What models support virtual control head operation?

Software? Screen shots?

I know the 996 does, but it can't rotate the virtual knob.

captclint

Mentor
No no...

VIRTUAL control head, as in, on (computer) screen display that mimics the physical control head.
Sorry. I believe nearly all scanners on the market for past 3-4 years support virtual control. Not every program on this list incorporates virtual control, but here is a list for you to check out: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Radio_Control_Software In general, Butel provides that feature on most of it's versions, so you can see what models are supported by ARC programs as a starting point.

Last edited:

n2mdk

Sorry. I believe nearly all scanners on the market for past 3-4 years support virtual control. Not every program on this list incorporates virtual control, but here is a list for you to check out: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Radio_Control_Software In general, Butel provides that feature on most of it's versions, so you can see what models are supported by ARC programs as a starting point.

Only the Unidens and the newest Digital GRE's support virtual control. The old Radio Shack marketed GRE's don't

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually with the lone exception of the PRO-2052 (which had Uniden guts...) no RS model can be computer controlled. Even the Uniden based models, such as the current PRO-433 and 528, can't.

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.