connect systems cs-701

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

Im looking at getting one of these. I will be using it for ham repeaters, and also some trbo monitoring. Who has one and what do you think of it?

N5TWB

A couple of hams I know have one for the new DMR/TRBO repeaters in the area. They like them but it also seems there is a bit of a learning curve. I'm considering one but am also hearing/reading the rumors about a combo D-STAR/TRBO coming from Connect Systems so a little waiting to see what happens might be the way I go.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The owner of connect systems announced the cs-7000 a few months ago on an episode of ham radio now. Said it should be out in late fall… I'd give it until spring though.

Only downside I've heard about them is that some of the features are proprietary with Motorola don't play well and can be confusing on the cs radios. I've also heard a lot of low audio reports when guys are listening on trbo radios to guys on cs radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Yes, some features are Motorola proprietary but in general, those features aren't used in amateur DMR repeaters.

The CS700's do seem low in audio compared to other vendor's products.

Project25_MASTR

I know a few of those features are actually used on some of the 70cm TRBO repeaters here in Texas (just from talking with the hams who set them up), it just depends on the operators I guess.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Just installed a VHF Mototrbo mixed digital analog mode repeater the first of July and it works great. We are using it with Mototrbo and CS701 radios. As mentioned above programming DMR radios is a bit of a learning curve as the radios and their operating system is more like commercial radios than ham. For the price the CS701 is a cheap way to get your feet wet in DMR.
BB

KK4ELO

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming. Is the programming cable a true usb cable, or does it have one of those "other" connectors that noones computer has anymore?

Sent from my gizmobob using encription captured from my new top secret scanner.

KK4ELO

Ok cool. Thanks. Ive read where some people are having trouble using windows 7, and thats what i have. Hopefully the bugs are worked out by now. I may download the software tonight and play around with it so i can get a feel for it.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I know a few of those features are actually used on some of the 70cm TRBO repeaters here in Texas

Any specifics?

The only features that non-Motorola radios don't have which would apply to TRBO repeaters are Roaming and RAS.

Roaming isn't a big deal and RAS generally isn't deployed.

Project25_MASTR

All radio programming signals are serial…most manufacturers just offer an optional cable that has a built in RS-232 adapter. I find it's far cheaper to purchase the serial based cables and then just use a RS-232 adapter (at least when you have multiple radios).

LMR software doesn't automatically calculate shifts because many LMR repeaters are not on standard shifts (though 5 MHz for UHF and 25 MHz for 900 MHz is fairly common). Moto does have some confusing RSS/CPS though.

Project25_MASTR

Any specifics?

The only features that non-Motorola radios don't have which would apply to TRBO repeaters are Roaming and RAS.

Roaming isn't a big deal and RAS generally isn't deployed.

Roaming is heavily used by the TRBO guys I know.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've had no issues with the USB programming cable/CPS on XP, 7 or 8 (although on 7 & 8 I believe you have to install the CPS by right clicking and selecting 'Run as Administrator').

I have a CS700 and it's certainly a solid, well built radio. In my useage I haven't really noticed the audio being low but everyone interprets it differently I suppose.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I'll second that.I have the CS700 and have used the software on XP, Win7 Ultimate and Win8 with no problems. Audio in my opinion is great except for speaker mics. I found the speaker mic makes audio really low. That is with no name brand and a Motorola speaker mic.

Don't use one and your audio will be fine. That or I've got the only radio that works again like the 436.

Also the CS7000 will be DSTAR and analog to begin with. Jerry says he'll be adding other modes such as DMR later on.

N4KVE

Yes, some features are Motorola proprietary but in general, those features aren't used in amateur DMR repeaters.

The CS700's do seem low in audio compared to other vendor's products.
CSI, the importer says an upcoming FW bump will allow for adjustable mike gain like the XPR radios have.

N8OHU

CSI, the importer says an upcoming FW bump will allow for adjustable mike gain like the XPR radios have.

Good to hear this, since it will finally allow CS-700/CS/701 users to follow the DMR-MARC recommended audio adjustment procedure. Don't debate whether it's good or bad; I see enough of that in the MotoTRBO Yahoo Group. :)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Good to hear this, since it will finally allow CS-700/CS/701 users to follow the DMR-MARC recommended audio adjustment procedure. Don't debate whether it's good or bad; I see enough of that in the MotoTRBO Yahoo Group. :)

Agreed, I would love to have adjustable AGC on my CS-700, as for the TRBO Yahoo group... I'm about done with the ***** and moan fest. I was hoping for some real tech talk on it, but it seems to only be *****ing and whining about audio levels, and some software cop telling everyone he's calling Motorola on people. Sad, I actually like CSi and CS7000 groups a chit load better than the motowhiners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Update since I wrote above post Jerry has announced initial radio will do Analog, D-Star and Trbo out of the box.

Losing wifi though for now

Kayn I agree 100% They've got their nose stuck so far up in the air that its buried in God's a$$

KK4ELO

Does anyone know if the 7000 will be a mobile or an ht? I would certainly look into one of those if an ht. Also, is there an FPP version or mod for CS radios? You know, for the ham side of things.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I asked about FPP option and i was told that the next firmware would have some sort of FPP available. I am assuming it would only let you FPP Ham Freqs. That way they can get around the FCC rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.