Sentinel: Connection issues with Sentinel

Lannyg

I have (4) windows pc's and only one desktop was able to connect to Sentinel. 1 laptop and 1 desktop running win 10
will not connect, 1 laptop running win 11 will not connect, the desktop that connected is running win 11. They're all
on the same wireless network, all pc's are using Norton 360. I compared the desktop that connected with the others
and I can't find any differences...

I want to get Sentinel working on the Dell 13" laptop running win 11, the Dell desktop running win 11 that it works on is my wife's pc.
Any ideas... I would appreciate any suggestions, could there be a value in a register or an app that is causing this.

Lanny

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I would appreciate any suggestions,
Welcome to the forums.

Can you explain what you mean by “the computer won’t connect to Sentinel?.

Are you unable to download Sentinel on those computers?

Did you download Sentinel to those computers but it won’t install?

Does Sentinel install but won’t run?

Did Sentinel install and run on those computers but it won’t recognize the scanner?

Are you using the correct version of Sentinel for your scanner?

Does Sentinel recognize the scanner but won’t download any updates?

Please try to be a lot more specific, and if you’re seeing any error messages, please let us know exactly what they say.

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I have (4) windows pc's and only one desktop was able to connect to Sentinel. 1 laptop and 1 desktop running win 10
will not connect, 1 laptop running win 11 will not connect, the desktop that connected is running win 11. They're all
on the same wireless network, all pc's are using Norton 360. I compared the desktop that connected with the others
and I can't find any differences...

I want to get Sentinel working on the Dell 13" laptop running win 11, the Dell desktop running win 11 that it works on is my wife's pc.
Any ideas... I would appreciate any suggestions, could there be a value in a register or an app that is causing this.

Lanny
Which scanner? How are you connecting to the scanner... What cable and port that is?

Lannyg

I'm using BCDx36HP Sentinel Version 2.05.03

Sentinel Downloads, installs & runs on all (4) computers.

The scanner is SDS200

After Sentinel opens I select Update, Update Master Database, a window appears that says Checking Uniden Server,
20 seconds or so a message appears: Updating full Database failed. Operation is cancelled. Unable to read data from the transport connection:
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection
failed because connected host has failed to respond.

On the Dell Desktop computer that Sentinel works on, I updated the Master Database then connected the scanner and updated
the firmware. (the scanner does not have to be connected the update the database)

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Are all systems using the same Internet connection? That error typically means FTP is blocked by the ISP. @JoeBearcat - for the love of Mike, can Uniden move to TLS to stop this madness?

Lannyg

All the computers are using the same internet connection. Back in Nov. 2023 when all this started I tried
using my Verizon cell phone as a Personal Hotspot...I got the same error message.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
All the computers are using the same internet connection. Back in Nov. 2023 when all this started I tried
using my Verizon cell phone as a Personal Hotspot...I got the same error message.

A long shot but try this...

With Sentinel running on one of the computers that won't update the database....

From the top menu bar click "Tools" ---> "Options" ---> click "start" next to "Reconstruct Full Database". After that finishes, then try to update the database and see if it works.

Lannyg

Windows firewall isn't used when Norton is installed, I disabled Norton Smart Firewall & Auto-Protect
got the same error message. I compared everything that I could think of between the pc that works and
the one that doesn't...can't find any differences.
I was hoping that someone else had this problem and found something back in the tall weeds.

Lannyg

Thanks fxdscon, I tried that...no different. I uninstalled Sentinel using windows and also manually
several times with no difference.
The Dell Desktop that works I installed it once and it's worked great.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Every time a program tries to access an internet connection for the first time, Windows Firewall asks if its ok. So if your just using Norton, was Windows firewall disabled manually by you, because as of January 2023,

1705503434839.png