• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Contemplating TK-5710

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I am contemplating purchasing either a TK-7180 or a TK-5710. I've already programmed a TK-7180, which oddly uses the same programming software as my current TK-2180. I have two must-haves for my mobile, the first is that it needs to be remote-able... I have space in the trunk for the main unit and only room for a head unit in front of my car. The other must is being able to add GPS and transmit it via FleetSync. I already have a TK-7360HV in another vehicle, which I've added a GPS receiver inside and it works exactly as intended.

Now, for why I'm interested in the TK-5710. I use these radios as a communications volunteer for a sheriff's department search and rescue unit. The sheriff's department has moved off of their original conventional, analog VHF channels to a VHF trunked P25 network. I like the fact that the TK-5710 says P25 trunking is optional. It also transmits with a higher power (110 watts instead of 50 watts of the TK-7180H), which may be a plus. I've downloaded service manuals on all of the radios I've considered and I'm not seeing anything on HOW to add GPS to the TK-5710, but it appears as if it is possible... somehow. Also, I looked into the programming for the TK-5710 and P25 trunking is greyed out. I'm sure that due to the nature of the network, they try to limit who can program a radio onto the network. My only problem with that is all of the sheriff's department radios are Motorola radios and I don't believe they have any Kenwood radios on their network. For that reason, I doubt they have the programming software to add my radio. As my primary purpose of the radio is for search and rescue where we use FleetSync with GPS, I'm limited to a Kenwood. I really don't want to go with two separate radios, as it is already going to be a pain to add ONE radio.

If I were to go with a TK-5710, (or a TK-7180H for that matter), it will likely be used. I am hoping someone with experience in this can give me some advice.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Nx5200 would be a better way to go. P25 and dmr capable, license features that is.

As to trunking, I can talk to you more on a direct level.
If you have my email, contact me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SVFC462

Feed Provider
Remote head options
* TK-5710 is the same size as the 90 series
* TK-7180 is a smaller size remote head from the 90 series

danielxgame

I am contemplating purchasing either a TK-7180 or a TK-5710. I've already programmed a TK-7180, which oddly uses the same programming software as my current TK-2180. I have two must-haves for my mobile, the first is that it needs to be remote-able... I have space in the trunk for the main unit and only room for a head unit in front of my car. The other must is being able to add GPS and transmit it via FleetSync. I already have a TK-7360HV in another vehicle, which I've added a GPS receiver inside and it works exactly as intended.

Now, for why I'm interested in the TK-5710. I use these radios as a communications volunteer for a sheriff's department search and rescue unit. The sheriff's department has moved off of their original conventional, analog VHF channels to a VHF trunked P25 network. I like the fact that the TK-5710 says P25 trunking is optional. It also transmits with a higher power (110 watts instead of 50 watts of the TK-7180H), which may be a plus. I've downloaded service manuals on all of the radios I've considered and I'm not seeing anything on HOW to add GPS to the TK-5710, but it appears as if it is possible... somehow. Also, I looked into the programming for the TK-5710 and P25 trunking is greyed out. I'm sure that due to the nature of the network, they try to limit who can program a radio onto the network. My only problem with that is all of the sheriff's department radios are Motorola radios and I don't believe they have any Kenwood radios on their network. For that reason, I doubt they have the programming software to add my radio. As my primary purpose of the radio is for search and rescue where we use FleetSync with GPS, I'm limited to a Kenwood. I really don't want to go with two separate radios, as it is already going to be a pain to add ONE radio.

If I were to go with a TK-5710, (or a TK-7180H for that matter), it will likely be used. I am hoping someone with experience in this can give me some advice.
kd4efm is right if you wan kenwood still go to nx5k series you have more option, i know tk5710 look like tk-790 has a lot of power coz a big body, the programing is gray out, coz you need to call kenwood and update for the firmware or buy additional features to ur radio, as my suggestion save money a bit go to nx5k series if need more power buy booster for it.

N5XPM

The NX 5700 mobiles have the flexibility to do what I perceive to be the goal here, but the pricing for getting ONE radio to be the first P25 trunking radio could add several thousand dollars worth of tech work to get operational, on top of the radio purchase and associated P25 upgrades.
It would help if you could identify an FCC license to allow folks to see exactly what system you are trying to operate on.
A budget estimate would be useful as well.
If cost is a consideration (and it usually is at some level), buying a Motorola like the other system users is using may be a much more cost effective solution from a programming perspective.
Alternatively, a Kenwood NX 720HG might be the most cost effective solution to do Fleetsync and GPS, as well as analog VHF. It is a little puzzling about the existing system, as I have never heard of Motorola supporting Kenwood's Fleetsync, so there is some additional functionality desired here that the existing Motorola VHF P25 trunking users do not currently have.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Or, an NX-700.

Honestly, though, any of them will work.
I've used pretty much all of them. We have about 10 TK-5710's at work in the patrol cars. I've got a few NX-700's and about 50 NX-900 (800MHz variant). We've got a few NX-5700's in use.

Don't get hung up on the 110 watt thing. That's a "new guy" error. CalFire has switched to 50 watt radios because 100 watts really doesn't make that much difference, other than drain batteries faster. If range is a concern, better antennas will give you more performance with less cost.

You'd also need to look at what the license allows. You'd need to consider the transmitter power output, coaxial cable losses and antenna gain, and make sure you don't exceed what the license allows.

Personally, if you are happy with the TK-2180, I'd stick with the TK-7180. Nearly identical to what you have programming wise. Only a few minor changes in the programming between the mobile and portable. Add a KRK-10 remote head kit, a good external speaker, and you're good to go. Probably going to save you a fair amount of money over the other options, too.

As for the P25 trunking options being greyed out in the KPG-95, that's because you don't have a system key. You will not be able to program a trunking system unless you have the system key from the system administrator.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
Alternatively, a Kenwood NX 720HG might be the most cost effective solution to do Fleetsync and GPS, as well as analog VHF. It is a little puzzling about the existing system, as I have never heard of Motorola supporting Kenwood's Fleetsync, so there is some additional functionality desired here that the existing Motorola VHF P25 trunking users do not currently have.

The deputies do not use the FleetSync feature, so Motorola is fine with them, FleetSync is exclusively for the volunteers on SAR and used for logging and mapping of search.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Dont forget, the nx5000 mobiles will sport 110 watt decks forthcoming.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.