• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CP185 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonfan954

Premium Subscriber
I was trying to program a CP185 using Entry Level CPS on Windows 7 and I kept getting an error that would say, "Unable to communicate with device. Please reset device and try again." I tried different com port settings, downloaded the Prolific drivers, changed the baud rates, uninstalling an reinstalling the drivers and CPS, to no avail. I am stuck. I don't know if its the radio, computer, or what. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cabletech

There is two versions of entry level CPS. One is for the CP185 ONLY (last ver v2.0) and the other is for the CT series of radios.

Neither will work in Win 7.

Both series of radio's were discontuniated several years ago right at the change over to Win 7 and no updates were issued.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
There is two versions of entry level CPS. One is for the CP185 ONLY (last ver v2.0) and the other is for the CT series of radios.

Neither will work in Win 7.

Both series of radio's were discontuniated several years ago right at the change over to Win 7 and no updates were issued.

Don't know where you got all of this info from.

The CP185 is still in production and supported by Motorola. The correct CPS is RVN5194 Entry Level CPS, latest version R02.02 according to MOL. The CP185 was introduced in late 2008, so considering older series CPS was updated for Windows 7 compatibility, I would assume the Entry Level CPS was as well.

gordonfan954, what cable are you using? If your using a cable designed for the CP200 series, I've read conflicting reports about whether or not they will work with the CP185. The CP185 has its own programming cable, P/N PMDN4077AR.

gordonfan954

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a cable that said it would work for the CP185 and CP200. I didn't know that they used different cables. By the way, I'm using Entry Level CPS Version 2.01 Build 56.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Right, they don't use the same cable. The CP200 needs a RIB (even if it's built into the cable like many aftermarket ones are) and serial port while the CP185 cable is straight USB.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I use the CP200 cable and RIB routinely to read and program CP185s. It works fine.

I don't HAVE the dedicated CP185 programming cable.

BTW, I hate the CP185. It is an embarrassment to Motorola's name. I consider it to be their worst radios except for the BPR40 which is the very bottom of the barrel. When a 185 comes in, I hope I can condemn it. And I've had to condemn a few over such stupid little design flaws as being able to mash the PTT button far enough into the radio that you can rip the PTT switch off the PC board, sometimes including the traces.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, not sure why it's not worked for me! I could try it sometime if I ever get some free time.

gordonfan954

Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna try a different cable and see if that works. What are the differences between the two cables?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.