• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Customizing RMU2080D

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not all radios require licensing. FRS/MURS radios do not. Also, a larger company like Hampton may have nationwide licenses that local employees may not be knowledgeable about.

As for licensing, it's not hard. Difficulty level of getting a license shouldn't be used as a reason to not get licensed.

hurricaneoleg

Not all radios require licensing. FRS/MURS radios do not. Also, a larger company like Hampton may have nationwide licenses that local employees may not be knowledgeable about.

As for licensing, it's not hard. Difficulty level of getting a license shouldn't be used as a reason to not get licensed.
I get it and, like I said, I will make a reasonable amount of effort to get licensed, I want to and prefer to be licensed, being on the right side of the law has always been my preference, like any other normal human being... I'm just trying to understand whether this licensing is mostly a formality that isn't enforced or is something that can potentially cost me money in the future, I'm sure you understand that I'm not just brushing this off and moving on.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I get it and, like I said, I will make a reasonable amount of effort to get licensed, I want to and prefer to be licensed, being on the right side of the law has always been my preference, like any other normal human being... I'm just trying to understand whether this licensing is mostly a formality that isn't enforced or is something that can potentially cost me money in the future, I'm sure you understand that I'm not just brushing this off and moving on.
It’s most definitely enforced. But it’s like a lot of other things in life, it’s not a problem until you get caught.

hurricaneoleg

It’s most definitely enforced. But it’s like a lot of other things in life, it’s not a problem until you get caught.
True, you're 100% right... I really don't want to get it to a point when I have to suffer the consequences of a very preventable problem causes by my own laziness or shortsightedness, I'm prone to procrastinating some things I'm not sure about, even though I'm very meticulous and hard-working by nature, or so I think of myself.

ecps92

Since it seems you are in the hobby, toward the end of the manual it lists all the possible frequencies this radio can handle.
Program them in, listen, see what is NOT used nearby and apply for those on your license. :)

hurricaneoleg

Since it seems you are in the hobby, toward the end of the manual it lists all the possible frequencies this radio can handle.
Program them in, listen, see what is NOT used nearby and apply for those on your license. :)
Will do. I can't just apply for all uhf frequencies in 400-500 spectrum? Because I work at two different places, my main goal is to have my 7550e work on 4 different frequencies in three different settings, I want to have one radio I have to carry, not four. But that's a different subject entirely...

KevinC

Super Moderator
Will do. I can't just apply for all uhf frequencies in 400-500 spectrum? Because I work at two different places, my main goal is to have my 7550e work on 4 different frequencies in three different settings, I want to have one radio I have to carry, not four. But that's a different subject entirely...
You don’t apply for the license, the business does.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

If the radios are running in their "out of the box" state, it's probably on 464.500 or 464.550. Those are two VERY common UHF business itinerant frequencies. It's no wonder you are getting interference.

There are a lot of other UHF itinerant channels to choose from. Using something other than what the radio has programmed right out of the box will probably fix the interference issues. Set a PL/DPL tone other than the first one, and you'll probably be good.

As for licensing, if you have not done it before, it's probably going to be very frustrating. It is possible to do it on your own, but those new to the industry rarely are successful on their first try. Since these radios belong to the school, let them pay for getting it done legally/correctly. There are plenty of companies that will assist you for a small fee. They'll find a suitable frequency and file all the paper work for you. I'd strongly recommend having the school administration pay to have that done. It really is quite painless and much, much, much cheaper than an FCC fine.

Contact these guys to get started:

hurricaneoleg

If the radios are running in their "out of the box" state, it's probably on 464.500 or 464.550. Those are two VERY common UHF business itinerant frequencies. It's no wonder you are getting interference.

There are a lot of other UHF itinerant channels to choose from. Using something other than what the radio has programmed right out of the box will probably fix the interference issues. Set a PL/DPL tone other than the first one, and you'll probably be good.

As for licensing, if you have not done it before, it's probably going to be very frustrating. It is possible to do it on your own, but those new to the industry rarely are successful on their first try. Since these radios belong to the school, let them pay for getting it done legally/correctly. There are plenty of companies that will assist you for a small fee. They'll find a suitable frequency and file all the paper work for you. I'd strongly recommend having the school administration pay to have that done. It really is quite painless and much, much, much cheaper than an FCC fine.

Contact these guys to get started:
Thank you, I thought this was a formality, like a fishing license, if it's not then I will definitely have the school do it. I already spent the money getting the data cable for Motorola cps, no way I'm spending any more money on something they need to do on their own.

However... I still need to get a license to use the hytera I bought... Which means, for me personally, I may have to force my boss to pay for that company you spoke of.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Thank you, I thought this was a formality, like a fishing license, if it's not then I will definitely have the school do it. I already spent the money getting the data cable for Motorola cps, no way I'm spending any more money on something they need to do on their own.

However... I still need to get a license to use the hytera I bought... Which means, for me personally, I may have to force my boss to pay for that company you spoke of.
Not sure about your state, but in my state a fishing license isn’t “a formality”, it’s the law. And you can and will be fined if caught fishing without one.

hurricaneoleg

Not sure about your state, but in my state a fishing license isn’t “a formality”, it’s the law. And you can and will be fined if caught fishing without one.
What I meant is that getting a fishing license in my state of NY or PA is a quick and painless affair, with no exams or egregious amounts of money required. Getting this FCC License seems to not be this at all.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Getting this FCC License seems to not be this at all.

It's not. The frequency coordinator will charge per frequency, but it's not expensive. I think I paid $125 each, or something darn close to that. That was a month or two ago using the same company I linked to.
The FCC charges, but again, it's not much, and way cheaper than a fine.

As for yourself,
As an individual, you will not qualify for a business license. If it's a legit business need, then follow the same steps as the school. Frequency coordination may be required if you want your own channel. If the itinerant channels will do, that makes it even easier.

hurricaneoleg

It's not. The frequency coordinator will charge per frequency, but it's not expensive. I think I paid $125 each, or something darn close to that. That was a month or two ago using the same company I linked to.
The FCC charges, but again, it's not much, and way cheaper than a fine.

As for yourself,
As an individual, you will not qualify for a business license. If it's a legit business need, then follow the same steps as the school. Frequency coordination may be required if you want your own channel. If the itinerant channels will do, that makes it even easier.
Makes sense thank you for giving me this information.
Again, being new to this I didn't expect PROGRAMMING A STUPID RADIO to require a bunch of licenses, rules and a ton of software I've yet to obtain.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Makes sense thank you for giving me this information.
Again, being new to this I didn't expect PROGRAMMING A STUPID RADIO to require a bunch of licenses, rules and a ton of software I've yet to obtain.

I've been doing it for about 30 years. That's exactly what it requires. Often a lot more, depending on which radio service it is. I do some marine stuff, and have to have a special license myself just to program the radios.
There's a reason why people make careers out of this.

My employer has a lot of systems and a lot of money invested in telecommunications. Screwing up and getting tagged by the FCC isn't worth it to them. Keeping guys like me on staff to stay within the boundaries of the rules, as well as keep everything running, is necessary.

And lucky for me, it pays really well.

Last edited:
Here are some examples of folks getting fined for not having a license or having freqs programmed channels that are able to be used even if no one ever used that channel / freq. This is from the part 90 FCC rules,

90.427 Precautions against unauthorized operation.
(b) Except for frequencies used in accordance with §90.417, no person shall program into a transmitter frequencies for
which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.

Attachments

• costco no license.pdf
    98.4 KB · Views: 14
  • bearcom 2.pdf
    80.7 KB · Views: 10
  • bearcom oscars.pdf
    75.6 KB · Views: 11
  • cal state no license.pdf
    115.1 KB · Views: 11