Customs & Border Patrol Activity Increasing

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I used to monitor a considerable amount of CBP comms in the clear on the older analog frequencies. It seems for quite sometime now they all moved to MPSCS P25 P1 digital along with most law enforcement in Michigan. Has anyone been watching the old analog frequencies recently? I'm thinking they might become more active now as P25 radios are expensive and there might now be enough to go around if they bring in additional reinforcements.

When the weather gets better I'm thinking about setting things up in my SUV with a couple scanners and a pair of binoculars and hang out by the campgrounds in Algonac. It could get interesting if things escalate.

This story is currently on FOX2 News:

Illegal border crossings spike in Detroit, CBP says massive increase across northern border

Last edited:

ecps92

well they have not been Analog in many years, but I would venture you may/may not (YMMV)
find them still with the VHF 162-174 channels but in P25 mode (ENC or CLR, only you will be able to determine)

Spend sometime in SEARCH and see / share what you find.
Freq/NAC and if avail RID as many frequencies are now more shared than the early years.
I used to monitor a considerable amount of CBP comms in the clear on the older analog frequencies. It seems for quite sometime now they all moved to MPSCS P25 P1 digital along with most law enforcement in Michigan. Has anyone been watching the old analog frequencies recently? I'm thinking they might become more active now as P25 radios are expensive and there might now be enough to go around if they bring in additional reinforcements.

When the weather gets better I'm thinking about setting things up in my SUV with a couple scanners and a pair of binoculars and hang out by the campgrounds in Algonac. It could get interesting if things escalate.

This story is currently on FOX2 News:

Illegal border crossings spike in Detroit, CBP says massive increase across northern border

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing a lot of "Vote Scan" traffic here in South Phoenix, usually late at night from down Tucson way (I record it and review in the morning).

Mostly one person directing others via IR and laser scanning systems. Some air to ground comes also.

ecps92

Freqs/Tones ?
I'm hearing a lot of "Vote Scan" traffic here in South Phoenix, usually late at night from down Tucson way (I record it and review in the morning).

Mostly one person directing others via IR and laser scanning systems. Some air to ground comes also.

RayAir

I've seen them on 163.625 (detroit).
It's been all encrypted the last few years.
Used to be able to catch them in the clear before then quite frequently but it appears they put the kibosh on that.

ecps92

Still using a NAC of $100 ???

Used to be able to catch them in the clear before then quite frequently but it appears they put the kibosh on that.

ak716

Premium Subscriber

I'm fairly confident that's what's going on up here in WNY too. "680" their dispatch can be active on multiple VHF-Hi frequencies throughout the day. However, it makes it difficult to track much as most of their comms around here are secure. They are usually heard only presumably when someone's key is not up to date, and they throw it in the clear for a bit.

freqs

Agree but I have but rare real rare heard them in the clear only mobile unit .So someone hit the Encrytion button.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
FYI, its Customs and Border PROTECTION not Patrol.
CBP and BP, two separate agencies under the DHS umbrella. It annoys me when the news and everyone mix the two together. Green uniforms and blue uniforms.... people don't get it though

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Well as I suspected, things are heating up on our Northern Border. No I haven't monitored any activity yet. I scanned and searched a long list of older VHF frequencies and they're pretty much dead around the Detroit Metro Area.

Tonight I found this activity and it concerns me greatly!

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone in the area provided any leads on active frequencies, talk-groups, signals related to this activity. I'm sure most are encrypted by now but it's worth a try. I'm thinking any current activity will be on MPSCS P25 here in Michigan.

Last edited:

dmchalmers

Can anyone in the area provided any leads on active frequencies, talk-groups, signals related to this activity. I'm sure most are encrypted by now but it's worth a try. I'm thinking any current activity will be on MPSCS P25 here in Michigan.
Curious of the same! Rumors for yrs of off shore gambling an sex traffic in lake huron off Alpena. Seen All blk cig boats being moved in fall inland toward MNGB grayling by USAF labeled truck convoys. tarped all blk concealed.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Curious of the same! Rumors for yrs of off shore gambling an sex traffic in lake huron off Alpena. Seen All blk cig boats being moved in fall inland toward MNGB grayling by USAF labeled truck convoys. tarped all blk concealed.
I would think the boats would be taken to CRTC Alpena, not Grayling.

dmchalmers

I would think the boats would be taken to CRTC Alpena, not Grayling.
I Thought the same till i saw the convoy myself on CoRd 612 west of M-33 heading west towards grayling ang. Blk Cig. boat in blk cover an multiple trailers of blk Atv's, this yrs northern Strike used Atv's an snowmobiles per Local news? All trucks were labeled US Air Force dark blue trks?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm getting a lot of activity for Customs and Border Protection right now, but it's encrypted.

169.4875 P25
308.3500 P25

1678934334664.png

Last edited: