Data base remake

Status
Not open for further replies.

utlchris

I really like the County Tab in the site list. Very easy to note what county a site is located in. Also can sort by that tab as well. Previously admins were adding it to the end of the tower name field and it sometimes truncated the information. The new way is a nice clean look. :D

DonS

Ok, i see what you are saying.. since we're now showing the county column it looks like our admins are removing that from the site name. I'm not sure what to say about this right now... let me have a further look and give it some thought.

IMNSHO, removing the county name from the site's free-form-text <siteDescr> field is a Good Thing, as long as the site's <siteCtid> field is appropriately populated. There's absolutely no reason to include and send redundant (and possibly inconsistent) text when the guaranteed unique CTID field is there.

If any consumers of the RRDB (i.e. software programs that retrieve, convert, present, etc. the RRDB) need to display the county name along with the site description, they can use the CTID field and look it up in the state's county list (EDIT: or use the web interface's getCountyInfo method).

Last edited:

OCO

Don:
I'm guilty.. I suggested that a quick fix would be to reappend the county ID to the site name as part of, or as a post process run after the export was done. Ugly, but a way to put something back that the end users had been getting. The benefit was it could be done by a processing run without an update to Sentinel itself. It then gave everyone breathing room to determine what the longer term strategy was. It was just an idea..came from experience(s) in dealing with changes that overlooked an "unintended consequence", especially those with large systems that you couldn't backtrack on..

It's always interesting to get the back story too - ever wonder why the county name was added to that site text field in the first place?

Edit: Just saw your sample report in the Uniden thread.............................................<grin>

Last edited:

DonS

Don:
I'm guilty.. I suggested that a quick fix would be to reappend the county ID to the site name as part of, or as a post process run after the export was done. Ugly, but a way to put something back that the end users had been getting. The benefit was it could be done by a processing run without an update to Sentinel itself.

Correct: just adding the county name to the site description doesn't require a Sentinel update. Only the Uniden process that retrieves the RRDB and converts it to HPDB would need to change in order to incorporate this. Sentinel would then see "site description text" as it always has, and that text would [again] include the county name.

Of course, this is only applicable to site records that actually have a correctly-populated <siteCtid> field. I'd bet that the records "trimmed" by the DB admins do have that field populated.

DonS

Edit: Just saw your sample report in the Uniden thread.............................................<grin>

That was meant as an illustration of how the admins' removing the county name from the DB's site description info is a "non-issue". Consumers of the DB (such as Win500, GRE's converter app, etc.) can - and should - get the county name via the site's "county ID" if they want to display that text for the user.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes I agree on the database needs work as well and I feel my reply at the link below is more suited in this thread.. Apologize on double posting this but there wasnt any replies pro-con on my suggestions here at: http://forums.radioreference.com/co...features-enhancements-september-2011-a-3.html

What I have tried to get done and I know it would be massive, but in the end the database would be fully functional for the user, be user friendly and much, much easier to find the info a user is looking for in their area of interest.

What Im saying is that the database is essentially stuck in analog in a digital radio world. Click a county and I havent checked all states but appears clicking a county will give you the counties analog info. Substantially radio is on a states digital radio and continually growing as counties, cities move for interoperability and the re-banding deadline.

The database when a user clicks their county should if its on a statewide network, list the tower and frequencies of that area and the associated talkgroups.
Then for all talkgroups that are multi-jurisdictional leave those on the statewide link.
For example in Michigan I highlighted, then copied-pasted into Word just the frequencies and talkgroups from the browser, it shows 22,474 lines, 104 pages, 156,142 characters! This counting all the lines including any non talkgroups lines, spaces. It is clearly not in the best interest of the user.

Also when one clicks their state if something was changed on the statewide radio database, imo there should be a box and link or so to one side of the state that also is set to be yellow or green as how the database is currently set for showing if a state or county was updated so a user can see if that was updated.

Yes it would be a big endeavor but doing it sooner will be easier than letting the database continually to grow larger. Again the database is stuck in analog and it would be in the best interest of radioreference and the user!

jafolives

Yes I agree on the database needs work as well and I feel my reply at the link below is more suited in this thread.. Apologize on double posting this but there wasnt any replies pro-con on my suggestions here at: http://forums.radioreference.com/co...features-enhancements-september-2011-a-3.html
When I click on a county, actually I cannot click on a county because it automatically jumps to the first or default county in all of the states, I am using Iphone 3gs & had no problems before the remake yes I know you have a mobile version but really like using the full featured site, any chance to get that fixed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.